Get rid of the SP* for 2018 and later sets

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: Get rid of the SP* for 20XX

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm

With only 17 Sp*...and 12 teams...and some of them being not usable ...the odds of coming out of the draft with 4 decent Sp* (or even three) are too low to make it a reasonable strategy any longer.

george barnard

Re: Get rid of the SP* for 2018 and later sets

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 pm

ScumbyJr

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:17 pm

george barnard wrote:To add to the debate -- the Rays' "innovation" for the coming year:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/03/07/old-school-or-innovative-rays-eyeing-four-man-rotation-for-full-season/

DOOMED -"Chris Archer, Blake Snell, Nathan Eovaldi and Jake Faria."

STEVE F

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 pm

I sure hope they don't ruin Archer. I want him in good shape when the Dodgers get him.

george barnard

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 am

From what I understand, it would still be a five-man rotation except that the fifth man would be a bullpen committee with each guy pitching 2 to 3 innings. That would suggest ragged bullpen arms (we may indeed see relief pitchers with well over 100 innings -- R3s and R4s will be making a comeback here perhaps and we might even see the birth of the S3/R3) and a relatively stable starting offensive lineup because there won't be many people on the bench.

Valen

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 2:36 pm

I am surprised more teams are not going with a 4 man rotation. I have heard rumors of multiple teams going to a 6 man rotation. I think that is backwards. With so many pitchers being limited to under 100 pitches and not being allowed to go through a lineup more than twice starters who go 5 innings are workhorses these days.

Think about it. If a pitcher makes 40 starts and averages 5 innings per start they are a 200 inning pitcher which today is a rare workhorse of a pitcher. The four man rotation allows you to then carry an extra bullpen arm instead of sacrificing a normal bench player. For a 12 or 13 man pitching staff that is 8 or 9 relievers or more given you can shuffle between the big club and minors. If all the starters have a firm 100 pitch limit health should not be impacted.

STEVE F

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Valen wrote:I am surprised more teams are not going with a 4 man rotation. I have heard rumors of multiple teams going to a 6 man rotation. I think that is backwards. With so many pitchers being limited to under 100 pitches and not being allowed to go through a lineup more than twice starters who go 5 innings are workhorses these days.

Think about it. If a pitcher makes 40 starts and averages 5 innings per start they are a 200 inning pitcher which today is a rare workhorse of a pitcher. The four man rotation allows you to then carry an extra bullpen arm instead of sacrificing a normal bench player. For a 12 or 13 man pitching staff that is 8 or 9 relievers or more given you can shuffle between the big club and minors. If all the starters have a firm 100 pitch limit health should not be impacted.

I am in complete agreement with this. All they are doing is babying these guys more, which will only lead to even more injuries in the long run.

Radagast Brown

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Steve F. wrote: I am in complete agreement with this. All they are doing is babying these guys more, which will only lead to even more injuries in the long run.

Bingo! I agree. And with most of the other fellas as well...

Besides, after all only 18 guys got the asterisks, which has to be an all time low. So it is not like they are handing out asterisks willy nilly. (Now if they could only fix their stealing numbers).

If they weren't making 10 million bucks, why couldn't a relief pitcher pitch 100 innings or more? They have done it before, they are just being more careful nowadays....

But the point of the online game is that WE GET TO BE THE MANAGERS AND GMS. So boys, get out there and pitch until your arm falls off...

That was funny what Steve F. wrote about Chris Archer!

Radagast Brown

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 pm

George Bernard wrote: From what I understand, it would still be a five-man rotation except that the fifth man would be a bullpen committee with each guy pitching 2 to 3 innings. That would suggest ragged bullpen arms (we may indeed see relief pitchers with well over 100 innings -- R3s and R4s will be making a comeback here perhaps and we might even see the birth of the S3/R3) and a relatively stable starting offensive lineup because there won't be many people on the bench.

I agree with this as well.... Things change, that is constant, get used to it!

Radagast Brown

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Steve F.
I sure hope they don't ruin Archer. I want him in good shape when the Dodgers get him.
:D
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx