Pb0 Rating

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mbertolli

Pb0 Rating

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 pm

How does a catcher with a 0 rating still give up passed balls?

What am I missing?

milleram

Re: Pb0 Rating

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 am

I asked the help desk about the PB and 0 ratings a year ago---they replied and said PB can still come off CATCHERX charts, the PB ratings take this into account--so a lot of 3 or 4 rated catchers may have PB-0 ratings.

I'm not completely sure how super-advanced rules apply here, but I think on-line mixes some advanced and super-A rules compared to the board or windows versions of the game.

mbertolli

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 am

Okay thanks!

childsmwc

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Based on the super advanced chart I believe a passed ball can occur based on the pitchers wild pitch rating. The better the catchers fielding rating the fewer passed ball outcomes come from the wild pitch outcome. This is to designed to simulate the need for a good catcher when say catching Phil niekro or Nolan Ryan.

Mark

joethejet

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm

childsmwc wrote:Based on the super advanced chart I believe a passed ball can occur based on the pitchers wild pitch rating. The better the catchers fielding rating the fewer passed ball outcomes come from the wild pitch outcome. This is to designed to simulate the need for a good catcher when say catching Phil niekro or Nolan Ryan.

Mark

Here is the rule from the SOM Super Advanced Rules:

When a reading of "P/P" or "P/F" is generated from the SYMBOLS CHART you should use the following procedure to determine if a passed ball occurs:

Refer to the pitcher's WP rating on his card, Roll the 20-sided die and if the roll is less than or equal to the pitcher's WP rating then a passed ball has occurred. If the roll is greater than the pitcher's WP rating then the catcher blocks the pitch, runner hold.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf ... mrules.htm

So, as you can see, if you have a guy with a lot of WPs you also get more PBs from the catcher. I have never understood this rule. My only thought is that they think that wild pitchers also get more passed balls when they are on the mound. Not sure that is true, but SOM seems to think so. <shrug>

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx