Shohei Otani

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

worrierking

Shohei Otani

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Has there been any discussion of how SOM will handle Shohei Otani and the possibility that he is a two-way player? I know some of the fantasy sites are saying their software can't handle him as both a pitcher and a hitter so they are basically making him two players.

Can they write code to make him one player who can play both in SOM? Can they make it so that he is ineligible to come in as a hitter after he has already been in the game (and removed) as a pitcher?

Can he get two cards but be purchasable as both for one price? How many spots does he take up on the roster?

In the past there have been some guys who briefly played a two-way players (Brooks Kieschnick comes to mind). Did SOM ever have them in the game as both a pitcher and a hitter?

Ninersphan

Re: Shohei Otani

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 11:32 pm

I believe the online game treats them as separate players, so he could have hit hitters card on one team and his pitchers on another. Don't quote me on that though as it's been a few years since we had some one of that ilk
In the online game.

george barnard

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Ninersphan wrote:I believe the online game treats them as separate players, so he could have hit hitters card on one team and his pitchers on another. Don't quote me on that though as it's been a few years since we had some one of that ilk
In the online game.

Somehow I doubt that's happening. In the ATG game, Ruth has both a pitcher's card and some hitter's cards. If someone grabs the pitcher's card, Ruth doesn't play the outfield unless you shift him out from one series to another (and that's really only possible in a 999 million league).

FALCON29

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm

george barnard wrote:Somehow I doubt that's happening. In the ATG game, Ruth has both a pitcher's card and some hitter's cards. If someone grabs the pitcher's card, Ruth doesn't play the outfield unless you shift him out from one series to another (and that's really only possible in a 999 million league).

While this is correct, none of the Ruth hitter cards are the same year as the Ruth pitcher card. For Otani they'd have to set one up with a salary of zero, (either the pitcher or the hitter), and have him not count twice against your max roster limits.

ScumbyJr

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 pm

george barnard wrote:
Ninersphan wrote:I believe the online game treats them as separate players, so he could have hit hitters card on one team and his pitchers on another. Don't quote me on that though as it's been a few years since we had some one of that ilk
In the online game.

Somehow I doubt that's happening. In the ATG game, Ruth has both a pitcher's card and some hitter's cards. If someone grabs the pitcher's card, Ruth doesn't play the outfield unless you shift him out from one series to another (and that's really only possible in a 999 million league).

There is also a Joe Wood hitter card

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx