This Mornings Results - Coincidental?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Re: This Mornings Results - Coincidental?

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 am

For those statistically inclined what are the odds of a series being 3-0 verses 2-1, etc?

Not looking for smoking guns or any dark grassy knoll. Just curious.

waynick

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Everything being equal, I think you have 1/8 chance of winning three, same for losing three, 3/8 for winning two and same for losing two. My best guess would 25% chance for a sweep and 75% for somebody winning two.

mbertolli

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:59 am

After a disastrous 2015 set, I think I have a better 'feel' for this set. In other words, which players are the best value & how to rank them in order to get as many as possible on any given team.

I'm at 54.8 (completed teams, not incl playoffs) which is above my 52.5% all time record (dating back to 2001).

Anyway, I don't believe the game is 'rigged' and in the end the top managers will end up at the top.

Michael.

Radagast Brown

Re: Let's use math, not anecdotes

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 12:34 am

When the only results you can have in a series are 0-3,1-2,2-1,or 3-0 ,
THIS is not a pattern:
3-0
0-3
3-0
0-3
3-0
0-3
3-0

Radagast Brown

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 am

Someone wrote:
During the OJ trial I went with a friend to the JFK 6th floor museum. He built a fairly convincing circumstantial evidence case that OJ was responsible for the Kennedy assassination. There were a lot more but these two items stand out in my memory.

Oswald set up behind a large stack of boxes hiding until the time came. What boxes you ask? Well since you asked they were boxes of Orange Juice. OJ, clearly not just a coincidence. In the background that day was a billboard advertising none other than Hertz car rental. We all know who would later become a spokesman seen running through airports in commercials. It went on as he found something else around every turn. He almost had me believing by the time we finished.

Is the point of this story that people are easily fooled, and see patterns when none exist?

blineimages

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln. Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy.
Both Kennedy and Lincoln were elected to office the same year of their century. (1860, 1960)
Both were killed by men with 3 word names---Lee Harvey Oswald, John Wilkes Booth.
Both Lincoln and Kennedy were followed by Presidents named Johnson, both Johnsons were born in the 8th year of their century.
Oswald killed kennedy from a warehouse building, and was caught and trapped in a Theatre.
Booth killed Lincoln in a theatre, and was caught and trapped in a warehouse (barn)
Kennedy was killed in a Lincoln (Continental) made by Ford, Lincoln was killed in the Ford Theatre.

so....what do Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays have in common that has nothing to do with statistics, awards, or any kind of performance on the field?

Musial6

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 pm

"so....what do Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays have in common that has nothing to do with statistics, awards, or any kind of performance on the field?"

they all ended up their careers in the same city they started their careers in, but with different teams.

Ruth - Boston Redsox - Boston Braves

Aaron - Milwaukee Braves - Milwaukee Brewers

Mays - New York Giants - New York Mets

blineimages

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 1:29 pm

abso Musial, good on you.

all anecdotes aside, the issue of weird results keeps coming up.
the question is---are these anomalies normal (i.e. with probability the unexpected will happen) or is this something in the programming or something that is happening at the STRAT side of things?

my sense is that we will never know. If it is in the programming, strat would be shooting themselves in the foot to acknowledge that. and there is no way strat can prove to us that it is nothing but happenstance.

so it looks like we are stuck...

ROBERTVOZZA

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 2:58 am

Unless we're not... :lol:

gkhd11a

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 am

Just as an aside, the odds of waking up and have all seven of your team go either 3-0 or 0-3 is one in 16,384. If you kept 7 teams for 45 years you would have a 50/50 chance of having it happen once in that time of playing.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx