This Mornings Results - Coincidental?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Jeepdriver

This Mornings Results - Coincidental?

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:01 am

I've got 13 teams at the moment. Here's how my first 7 teams did last night by record - you will notice a pattern:

3-0
0-3
3-0
0-3
3-0
0-3
3-0

7 straight sweeps, and with a pattern. The odds of that has to be staggering.

I've thought for a long time now how there seems to be patterns with game results. Most notably I'll either win a lot or lose a lot. Rarely have around a ".500" record for the day. Other coincidentals are individual players with results that will mirror results from another team, especially with injuries. Food for thought. Would love to get the community's thoughts on this.

FRANKMANSUETO

Re: This Mornings Results - Coincidental?

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 am

Patterns? You're joking. Kidding btw. I've been telling Visick this for years. :evil:

LMBombers

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 am

Do you really think that SOM is that tech savy to monitor each manager's teams like that? Even if they could why would they want to?

Was Lee Harvey Oswald really just a lone shooter?

J-Pav

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

My pattern looks more like lose two of three, get swept, lose two of three, get swept, lose two of three. Then, when I'm 20 games out of first, it's win two of three, sweep, win two of three, sweep.

Anybody who has seen Brain Games knows about "patternicity" and the hardwiring of our brains to perceive things that aren't really there (i.e., mistaking the wind in the bushes for a lion in the bushes, thereby erring on the side of caution and all that). Going one step further, it's very hard to process a lone liberal communist nut job gunning down an iconic president, despite the evidence that that was precisely the case. How can that POSSIBLY be?? (an argument for another forum, obviously).

Although this has been building somewhat gradually over the past three seasons or so, based on posts from other managers whom I respect, I've been mentally noting a certain level of frustration with the game.

Here's where we are today:

Manager (lifetime win pct), 2016 win pct

Riggo (.550) .512
Cristano (.550) .506
steve F (.544) .473
Radagast Brown (.544) .527
J-Pav (.537) .513
wjb23 (.533) .514
Terry101 (.530) .504

That's seven competent managers with an average .540 lifetime win pct (possibly inflated somewhat with some ATG and mystery game game stats, but that's neither here nor there) who are currently playing just over .500 ball (.510).

In the meantime, there are managers fairing a bit better: for instance, edge, Jeep, stevep107 and mesquiton are playing around their respective lifetime averages. However, I find it a little interesting that Altec, durantjerry, coffeeholic and luckyman seem to have gravitated completely away from 200x.

False patterns? Random noise? Lion in the bushes?

I'm wondering where things are heading from here...

sebastian

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:26 pm

I am having my best seasons since 2012, Maybe its the year of the incompetent haha

Valen

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Going one step further, it's very hard to process a lone liberal communist nut job gunning down an iconic president

During the OJ trial I went with a friend to the JFK 6th floor museum. He built a fairly convincing circumstantial evidence case that OJ was responsible for the Kennedy assassination. There were a lot more but these two items stand out in my memory.

Oswald set up behind a large stack of boxes hiding until the time came. What boxes you ask? Well since you asked they were boxes of Orange Juice. OJ, clearly not just a coincidence. In the background that day was a billboard advertising none other than Hertz car rental. We all know who would later become a spokesman seen running through airports in commercials. It went on as he found something else around every turn. He almost had me believing by the time we finished.

freeman

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 am

Gotta admit...I do feel I get days when my teams feel lucky or unlucky as a whole. But it's probably just my brain noticing the extremes. But there is that persistent feeling, though.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 am

freeman wrote:Gotta admit...I do feel I get days when my teams feel lucky or unlucky as a whole. But it's probably just my brain noticing the extremes. But there is that persistent feeling, though.

I get that feeling. Especially those nights when team after team get swept. However, I don't think there is anything to it. Scumby is the account I use for tourneys and private leagues. Mumford is used for open leagues. The records reflect a big difference in competition so it may be that the pool of managers has gotten stronger in recent years. Plus 2016 set seems harder to navigate that recent 20XX sets.

geekor

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 3:05 pm

It's all connected!!

The Buffalo Bills barely lost a game in 1970 by missing on a bad pass for a touchdown. That loss allowed them to get the first pick in the draft, O.J. Simpson. OJ stays in Buffalo for awhile, meets his wife, then allegedly kills her. Then hiring Kardashians father to be part of his lawyer team. They win the case, making the Kardashians somewhat famous. Then Kim drops the sex tape, becomes famous.

freeman

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Jedd Gyorko (2 teams, both at Wrigley)

46 hr, 91 rbi
53 hr, 124 rbi

Of course he plays terrible defense...but that's a lot of offense for a 3.83 mill player.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx