The Big Post for 2016

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

J-Pav

Re: The Big Post for 2016

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 6:43 pm

The Tour Finals start on Monday night. Although this thread probably began too late in the season to generate much interest, I'll add to it later this week.

Thx Palmtana!

exwallman

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 10:59 am

Check this team out... 2015 unleashed...$80 million...current run differential at 102 games is 217 runs.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1444485

I probably jinxed myself by posting this team before the season ends.

However, I totally agree with the stud SP philosophy with value hitters.

KEVINEHLE

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 5:44 pm

exwallman wrote:Check this team out... 2015 unleashed...$80 million...current run differential at 102 games is 217 runs.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1444485

I probably jinxed myself by posting this team before the season ends.

However, I totally agree with the stud SP philosophy with value hitters.

Nice. It's not easy to couple up a .496 SLUG % with a 3.42 Team ERA like you did. I think your team is jinx-proof! Don't worry. ;)

keyzick

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:42 am

keyzick wrote:Have some credits to kill, so put this team together this week. All offensive players had to have a 4 or higher injury rating. To top it off, the other 3 teams in the division play in Miller. Should be an interesting experiment.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1445308

Just an update on this team. 51-39 so far, definitely some streaks both good and bad, given all the injuries, but it's been fun.

milleram

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 pm

I did an injury team also--as a wrap-up to this season. I don't feel that good about upcoming playoffs as I have some matchup issues vs the teams that are probably going to get in.

I have tried other injury teams but never had much luck--but with this one I went with more 4-5-6 injury ratings than I have before--so I could maximize $ into the pitching staff--so far well over 300 injury days, and I have never played a game without an injury--Got an injury early in game 1--the next game that I started with everyone healthy was game 124 and took an injury in that game too--so as yet I have never got through even one game with an intact lineup.

Like Keyzick's team, it has been a little streaky--but instead of 15 hitters--I just went with 13 hitters with the assumption that there would never be more than 4 down at once. Galvis, (my only normal injury guy) I thought was necessary to avoid bad fielding by out of position guys at 2nd or SS as much as possible.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1443762

keyzick

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 am

A lot of familiar names! Definitely like your pitching staff over mine though. I think it makes sense that there's a lot of value to be found if you're willing to gamble on the injury bug. I went with the 15 hitters mainly just to make sure I had halfway decent subs in crucial positions...hadn't considered that Hal wouldn't knock out more than 4 guys if I went with 13.

Good luck in the playoffs!

J-Pav

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Looking back over my notes, the thing that I notice most about 2016 was the crazy amount of notes I made.

Having started this post so late in the year, I realize that the interest in 2016 is fading quickly as the new card set is almost upon us. And worse yet, is that I don't have anything magical to add here. I struggled quite a bit throughout the year, suffering from the worst of HAL's taunts: whoever I saw have an outstanding performance on another team regressed to the mean with an equally atrocious performance when I had him on my team. This makes trying to pick up on the trends and themes very, very difficult. So when it comes to deciphering 2016, trust me when I tell you that I would probably much rather hear what you have to say than vice versa.

For the sake of the conversation, I'll throw out a few things here.

I found pitching to be very important, as the first posts in this thread hit upon right away. My best teams early on were the ones where I was able to have three or even four high dollar *SPs. Most of the successful teams I looked at, for the most part, finished very high in pitching (lower ERAs, lower WHIPs). Where they finished offensively ranged from high to irrelevant.

Having grown tired of missing on starting pitching, I began going with four stud batters. Harper, Trout and Goldschmidt were staples on these teams, some having all three of them. These teams often made the playoffs, but failed in the post season. Still, it was fun to experiment with cheap starters and solid long relievers for awhile. While everyone chased pitching, this was actually a pretty easy method to adopt.

As was pointed out early in the year, the best cards were the high dollar cards. But the best of the best were the high dollar pitching cards. If you examine the successful tour teams, you'll see the number of times either Arrieta or Greinke appear in a Championship is alarmingly high.

The salary construction of a Championship staff tended toward $7, 6, 5, 4 on average, but you'll see a lot of $10, 6, 4, 2.

When you're looking for patterns, in hindsight it's not hard to see that sometimes you tortured the data into giving a false confession. Here I will add the usual disclaimer that in any given league, any type of team can win for any infinite number of reasons. But if you're trying to help someone along in the learning process, knowing that doesn't really help much. So, here's my attempt to quantify what I saw this year:

Offense: Have four hitters who's total salary is around $30 mil. The other ten should be under $18 mil.
Pitching: Have three SPs who's total salary is around $20 mil. The other seven should be under $12 mil.

That's it in a nutshell.

Now, this is kind of a stretchy generalization, I get that. But you really needed to have some top salary players on your team, however, you could get them. Once having done that, the chess match for the 17 low dollar players could really set you apart. Obviously, well chosen platoons enter the picture here.

But the biggest point I want to make here, and this has been touched on by others, is that regardless if you played in a pitchers park or a hitters park, slugging (total bases) was probably the one stat I was able to isolate that showed up an inordinate number of times on winning teams. If your doubles (particularly in a pitchers park) and homers (obviously in hitter friendly parks) were north of 500 when combined, your team likely competed as long as your pitching was getting it done on the other end.

It's no surprise that the high OPS teams corresponded well with the high run scoring teams. But what was a surprise to me is that strong defenders with slash lines making for a winning eye test very often did not correspond well with winning championships. A lot of times, it seemed to me, that a slash line more like .230/.310/.465 was preferable to something more like .290/.340/.350.

Anyway, that's what I was seeing as this year unfolded, but I welcome any contrary opinions.

childsmwc

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:40 pm

So I Agree with the starting pitcher comments, and it is my top priority to correct in 2016. At one time the appetite to pay for top starters wasn't there so pricing has dropped over time due to the demand, but it has over corrected at this point.

I will disagree with your conclusions around the slash lines for obp/slg. Runs are more influenced by obp than slg, even in this depressed offensive environment. Go take a look at any of the teams I ran this year and I finished top 3 in runs scored playing in a pitchers park. However, this has been debated before as you saw geekors earlier comments.

I will add that slg isn't really the key driver, but isolated power. Cristiano had a great tour team in round one or two that highlights this dynamic.

I personally think you can win with multiple strategies and most of us just fall back on the trends that work for us.

childsmwc

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:44 pm

I do think that defense up the middle has been overpriced so look for some corrections in that department with the coming season. I also think injury players are a good value, however, due to volatility I think they are price fairly well based on demand.

milleram

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 11:36 pm

It was a frustrating year for me mostly because I just couldn't get any high pitcher picks in my initial drafts with any team expect my last injury team, (I got 24 of 25 on that one) An exception was Grienke a couple of times.

I had a string of playoff teams and a string horrible teams that finished 20 games behind after I got tired of Citizens park.

I couldn't do anything in any park except Citizens and O'County which are both RH parks, and those were all similar teams that were re-do pitching staffs in Waivers and FA period, going to cheap SP and adding one or two of those high dollar hitters.

In other parks I just couldn't make up for a bad draft--(which has not been a general issue for me in other seasons)--and pitching was always the biggest issue--for the most part the high dollar relief staffs was not as effective for me this season (except in Citizens). Medium salary starting pitching priced from 3M to about 5.5M was the worst money spent with my teams--seemed they just got hit as hard as the low priced guys. There seemed to be a lot fewer low priced value hitters in this set also--(guys like Cristian Colon) I never seemed to put them high enough on my draft list to get them on most teams--what was left over had such low OB they seemed useless.

What I thought I had learned in previous seasons did not apply to this set.

I checked my slash lines with my playoff teams and every Citizen's playoff team I had (5 of them) was almost exactly at JPav's values and my 2 O'county teams were roughly at .245/.305/.395 with similar hitters, but both my O'County teams had Grienke, so for me at least, JPav is dead on with his assessment.

2017 looks a bit scary to me, looking at the final cards n the 2016 Daily--I know the cards and prices will be different, but I think it may be a similar set with everyone going for the elite SP.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx