Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

The $3.96 million Starting Pitching Staff

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 am

Eddie E

Re: The $3.96 million Starting Pitching Staff

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 6:34 am

Starters set on quick hook? I see you have three relievers with over 100 innings already. Very nice. Also noticed the quantity of high injury risk hitters on your roster giving you some performance.

ringojb

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 8:30 am

Nice. This is possible with good defense and a strong bullpen. This is similar to my team from 2014's set. Only 1 pitcher was over 1 million.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1418651

freeman

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 2:15 pm

I saw someone last year use a really cheap staff in Great American and won 100 games. I noticed the above example is from Great American, too. My park is similar with the ballpark allowing a lot of power but few hrs. I think it would be difficult to do with any other park, just because at least the park is knocking down runners to keep scoring under control. For some reason this year I haven't really seen the benefits of having great defense--not sure why--but this team has a pretty good one and I think that is required to keep runners under control. You need a really deep bullpen. But you still have to score a lot of runs and that means getting a lot of on-base with a lot of power. In these low runner, high hr parks I tend to wind up getting too much power and too little on-base. With 60 million to spend you can do both, but you have to make sure to do it. If you went to a pitcher's park you couldn't score enough runs. I think the extremely high hr with low base runners is about the only park where this strategy would work. But I could be wrong.

With the injury guys, I really like Wright, Holliday and Jaso in this set as cheap players with high on-base and they tend to wind up on my teams. And I like Cabrera as a more expensive on-base guys. But they are high-injury guys. So I spent some money to get Brad Miller as a back-up. He might be stretched a little thin, so I might be getting lucky there.

If only I could figure out Marlins Park...

milleram

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 4:59 pm

That is pretty much the formula I have used with all my successful teams in 2015--and Citizens Bank is the best park to do it in. ALL Citizens teams below

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1424854
http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1427113
http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1427930

3 similar teams here, though SP is not low as 4M--it's still quite low--on the last couple of teams I wanted to go cheaper on SP, but I couldn't get a couple of the cheaper SP I wanted.

I have had success in the other RH leaning park too (O Co.)--but I have been horrible in neutral, pitching or LH leaning parks with 2015 set--generally I can't get the SP I draft this year when I go for more pricey starters--especially Arietta or any higher priced LH. I have managed to snag Grienke on three teams, once as a FA, but can't get any of the other higher priced SP I try to draft with him. It seems any SP below 4M gets bashed almost equally, so might as well go cheap--and, with a couple of exceptions, the 4M to 5.5M ones have not performed for me anywhere near their price point. Warren was good on that 1st team above--but poor for the money spent on several other teams for me.

freeman

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 5:33 pm

I have had success with Duffy in the 5 million range., but I just can't seem to believe that a guy with a 1.3 WHIP is that good. Estrada, Tanaka, Tomlin have been all over the place in lowly hr parks where you would think they would thrive. Syndergaard has been terrible. Morrow and Fernandez have been ok for me. Blanton, Hammels and Ross have had mixed results. Narveson has seemed like an incredible bargain at times and then a team killer at other times. I can't seem to build a team in a low power, low to middling base runner stadium like Marlin Park or Angel Stadium (except for At&T but I can stack teams with lefties because the stadium gives up runners to lefties). Citizens, Miller, National, Petco, Wrigley and especially AT&T have been viable parks for me.

freeman

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 5:46 pm

I think I'll borrow some ideas from milleram about building a citizens bank team. It is fun building a 60 million dollar offense.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx