Maximizing Closer Innings

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Joe Morgan

Maximizing Closer Innings

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 1:57 am

In my fourth season and never seem to get enough innings out of my closer. Any ideas on how to get him in more games?

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1426468

I have my preferences sent to maximize closer.

Joe

rolandzeut

Re: Maximizing Closer Innings

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Change closer setting to normal, "maximize" closer causes Familia only to be used in closer situations. Then set him as Closer, setup, behind & late, tied & 9th+, behind & 9+... Below those settings list other relievers where you want. This will make Familia as #1 option out of pen as long as he's not fatigued...

milleram

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 11:25 pm

I agree with rolandzuet as I almost never use maximize closer.

With your team doing so well, I might not stir the pot though.

Seems you starters are going deep, and your r2 guy is pitching well---this is one team where the maximize closer may be better--he may not get a lot of innings, but he will be in the games he's needed the most.

Joe Morgan

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I just assumed that maximize closer would maximize the times he is put in! I just see a lot of teams seem to get so many more innings out of their high priced relievers. I do have good starters and try to keep them in games for as long as possible. Should I have gone for a less expensive closer when I spent so much on starters?

Joe

MARCPELLETIER

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 11:35 pm

I just see a lot of teams seem to get so many more innings out of their high priced relievers.

True, but usually, they are not involved in as many saving situations than teams that keep their closers at 80 innings.

In the following team, for example, I had F. Rodriguez to throw 181 innings. Stadium was Cadmen Yards, so not the best stadium for Rodriguez, and it showed (35 homeruns allowed), but when I turned to free agency, there were no more top closer left (it was a 24-team league).

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1423010

Here was the settings for F.Rodriguez. Team strategy for closer was set at regular, not maximize, as suggested by rolandzeut. Also, I had pretty much the same settings except for two differences: Rodriguez was not set to pitch "behind & late" (I prefer to use my #3 reliever for that role) and more importantly, I had him as my second middle man (for most of the season).

The upside was 181 innings.
The downside is that F.Rodriguez was available for only 23 of all 79 closer situations. Let me just say that my team has been very lucky that my other relievers stood up so well was Rodriguez was getting tired.

From my experience, for a starting rotation with short stamina, I would say that the following roughly stands (for a R1/C6):

Middle/setup/closer: 180 innings; finishes roughly 30% of all closing situations
Setup/closer (7th or later): 130 innings; finishes roughly with 60% of all closer situations
setup/closer (8th or later): 80 innings; finishes with 90% of all closing situations
"Maximize" only closer: 50 innings; is involved in all closing situations (except blown ups)

Joe Morgan

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Great insight. Thank You. I will be adjusting my reliever strategy in my next draft and determining how to adjust to what I have. I have 2 closers, I may be able to be OK getting my main one 60% of the true closer appearances.

Jamie

tcochran

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 5:17 pm

You can also do something similar with a non-closer. My favorite example is Raul Valdes in 2012. Here's one where he won the Cy Young Award with an 18-3 record in 226 innings, including 11 saves:
http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1109349

coolhandlewke

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 4:47 pm

I've run some seasons like suggested, but you better make sure you have the right guy for the job. I tried it with this seasons version of chapman, but he couldn't pull off the 2 inning save. he continually tired before finishing the job. he blew 4 saves in the seasons 1st 20 games. I put him back to maximize and we righted the ship.
now i'm using osuna on maximize, along with tied and extras. he gets involved in almost every extra inning game.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx