Defensive Replacement Stratagy

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rvalente01

Defensive Replacement Stratagy

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 8:14 am

I'm having an issue with HAL and defensive replacements. I have Phil Gosselin at 2b and have set Freddy Garcia as his defensive replacement. I moved Garcia to start as SS and then put Asdrubal Cabrera as his defensive replacement so Garcia can move to 2nd when Gosselin is sit down. HAL doesn't make the Gosselin - Garcia move but still makes the Cabrera for Garcia move. I took off the Cabrera for Garcia move and kept the Garcia for Gosselin move but HAL doesn't make it. I understand why HAL would not make it with no SS replacement . So my question is how do I get HAL to move a starter from one position to another and then bring in a third payer as a replacement ? Do I make Cabrera the replacement for Gosselin even though he doesn't qualify at 2b?

Jeepdriver

Re: Defensive Replacement Stratagy

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 am

This is what you have to do on a double shift:

Always list the player NOT starting in the game first. Like this:

Cabrera SS
Garcia 2B

One other thing. On your strategy page where you list D.R. put the double switch guys in either the 1&2 spots or the 3&4 slots. Putting them 2&3 won't work.

That should take care of it for you.

rvalente01

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks. Ill set it up that way. I had the Garcia move first.

Eddie E

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 am

Speaking of defensive change problems. I have Revere as my DH but also my backup outfielder in LF and RF. Of course, HAL refuses to use him as a replacement when an injury occurs because he is the DH. I am not talking about in game when the injury occurs. I mean for all following games, Revere remains the DH and I am stuck with a 4e25 of as a replacement. My assumption is that for some reason the DH isnt allowed to substitute in the field ever.

Ninersphan

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 8:19 am

Eddie E wrote:Speaking of defensive change problems. I have Revere as my DH but also my backup outfielder in LF and RF. Of course, HAL refuses to use him as a replacement when an injury occurs because he is the DH. I am not talking about in game when the injury occurs. I mean for all following games, Revere remains the DH and I am stuck with a 4e25 of as a replacement. My assumption is that for some reason the DH isnt allowed to substitute in the field ever.

See the manipulating the lineup thread or Garcia's latest blog that address this topic. Short answer. HAL is programmed not to move. Starting DH to a fill in role even if that player is listed as the primary backup. Sucks, I know but that's the way the code is written for some inexplicable reason.

TVF33

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Who the hell is Freddy Garcia and why he is your defensive replacement at 2B? I know he was a decent SP but it seems a bit unorthodox to use him in your middle infield.

rvalente01

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 4:29 pm

I had the DH problem last year too. You have to have a back up at DH in order for HAL to move your starting DH to a field position as a back up.

Eddie E

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 11:11 pm

I have backups at DH but that doesnt make it work. It is just a peculiarity about the CD Rom game that wont play your DH at other positions.

Jeepdriver

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 9:15 am

Every day almost I'm having no issues with HAL moving a DH to another position. Have a back-up DH and you'll be fine. I guarantee it!

edgecitytx

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Garcia is wrong because sometimes the DH is brought in correctly, not others. So there's no programming that says the DH cannot be the replacement. I suspect that what he means is that your listing has little or no effect; HAL just makes his own decision and sometimes he gets it right.

It's like the ingame decisions HAL makes for the rest of your team when there's an injury. He regularly switches Castro, who I have playing 2nd v L, to 3rd, his primary position, where he has 65 errors, even though the injuries have nothing to do with 2nd or 3rd.

From LIttle Big Man: Sometimes the magic works; sometimes it doesn't.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx