Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Re: Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

PostTue Dec 29, 2015 6:59 pm

J-Pav wrote:gbrookes:

That's a LOT of homers from a $60 mil team! Nice low budget staff, too!

Maybe predictably, that was the whole idea for this team. My idea was to maximize the number of ballpark homerun chances relative to pure (non-ballpark) homeruns. It worked nicely! The premise of the idea, though, means that I'm not paying as much as I might for a card like Stanton, for example, where there are many "pure" homeruns.

bigmahon

PostTue Dec 29, 2015 7:24 pm

gbrookes wrote:Posting these as my PC semifinal team is taking on water and listing badly... ;)

Sorry GB! :(

Radagast Brown

PostTue Dec 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah good luck GBrookes, I hope you are doing well in the tournament!

gbrookes

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks! Had back to back good nights since I wrote that post!

J-Pav

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm still tossing around this whole long line-up, spend the least amount possible thing.

So what I did was look at a few teams (no *SPs), and came up with salaries to match their usage according to the percent of innings pitched. For this I arrived at $22.72 in starting pitching, or $4.54 per starter.**

In the bullpen, I came up with $9.28, allocated as follows: $3.25, $2.04, $2.04, $1.39, $0.56. Again, this matches the salary to the expected innings pitched, based on the standard 60/40 ($48 mil/$32 mil) offense to pitching allocation.

The point is to spend the most efficient amount possible on each expected inning, without spending a penny more than is necessary.

On the hitting side, I took $48 mil divided by nine positions evenly for $5.33 per position. If you want to get technical, you can spread this out to account for at bats (that is, spot 1 in the order gets over 12% of at bats, while the 9 spot is closer to 9%).

1. $5.90
2. $5.71
3. $5.62
4. $5.52
5. $5.33
6. $5.23
7. $5.14
8. $4.90
9. $4.66

What I did not do, was subtract five bench players ($2.50 - $4.00, usually) from the starting allocation. Instead, I opted for five platoons, utilizing 14 players to fill the nine spots in the batting order. Specifically, I wanted to check off each spot in the order according to the listed amounts above. Five times I used TWO players to achieve the desired amount (for instance, Lind and Walters equal $5.80 together, so I checked off spot #2 as having been filled (close enough).

So my utility subs, pinch runners, etc are built in with the "vs. LHP platoons", instead of as stand alone purchases.

Here's the result after the autodraft so far:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1417817

The concept again is, to spend the maximum "least amount possible" on every position (specifically targeted according to usage).

I'm liking Trout's $12 mil less and less as more time goes by...

**PS: In my experience, if you want the *SPs, you have to use high draft picks to get them. It's a lot easier to get non star SPs even at the very bottom of the autodraft. In this draft here, I got 23 or so of 25 picks. Not bad.

Joe Morgan

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Nice Draft! I never seem to get close to that many of my picks. You must've been 80%

Radagast Brown

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 pm

J-Pav , your most recent experiment is how I have been managing my teams for a couple years now, with pretty good results. I am always interested in reading what you and others have to say. Good luck with your new team (I shall be interested in seeing your results, though those results alone will prove little) and good luck with the coming year. Cheers!

J-Pav

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Thank you RB - this particular team will be exposed to more pitchers' parks than usual in this league, so that's possibly an issue. We'll see how it goes...!

coolhandlewke

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 5:10 pm

its ironic jpav that after your season that inspired this thread I adopted your top 2 salaried players, mccutch and wainright. with 30 games to go mccutch is the leading mvp candidate, while wain has been solid but not elite. the team is 100 runs to the positive and still 3 games out of the division lead. I have a very tenuous lead on the wild card.

J-Pav

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 8:42 pm

In our vets league, we're currently discussing Andy Parrino's 23 home runs that cost edge $0.50, and noting how he is outhomering not just Kemp and Duda, but Brantley and Beltre as well as many many others...

Guys like McCuthchen will ALWAYS be productive. That wasn't the point. The point is that if you can reach the playoffs with Joey "Inj 5" Votto as your highest priced player, why would you even want McCutchen? Is one McCutchen worth three Vottos?

On my last team, one Revere was almost worth one McCutchen. Knowing that now, it's hard for me to justify spending up. I wholeheartedly encourage others to do so however! :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx