Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tony best

Re: Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

PostSat Dec 26, 2015 10:27 pm

I think I was in the first league that Jeff did this. im pretty sure he had the best record! I found it amazing!

J-Pav

PostSun Dec 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Alright. Team is picked. Went with high dollar pitching and value hitting with above average defense.

We'll see how it goes...

STEVE F

PostSun Dec 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Looks real good to me. When I first read of your experiment a couple years ago, it totally changed the way I fill out my draft. Knowing that there is almost always a good team left in the talent pool makes it not so much an "I have to get this guy or else" kind of mentality

J-Pav

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Regarding pitching this year...

While reviewing my 25 finished leagues, I checked out the total average pitching salaries of the Champs teams, and it came out to a perfectly usual $32 mil, in keeping with good Secret Formula standard practices...

However...

That was the result from taking the simple averages. In the fine print, there were almost ZERO Champs teams with an actual pitching salary of $32 mil. This year, Champs teams went one of two ways: either they opted for about $27 mil (low of $23 mil) in total pitching, or they opted for about $39 mil (high of $45 mil) in total pitching. Very few teams were anywhere near the middle.

Again, these are only my 25 finished leagues, so maybe the sample isn't large enough, but it was at least large enough to get my attention.

In the league with my no draft team, the only weird outlier seemed to be a run on high dollar closers. In fact freeman bogarted what I intended to be my entire bullpen! Thx! But that left a gigantic quantity of quality SPs to chose from, and I tried to get all of them - we'll see how it goes...

gbrookes

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Here's a weird one - $5.5 million -
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1402365

gbrookes

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 1:14 pm

gbrookes

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Posting these as my PC semifinal team is taking on water and listing badly... ;)

freeman

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 2:30 pm

You're welcome Jeff ! Your team does look good , with four top-tier pitchers. This is kind of an odd league--even after you went through it you could still put together a top rotation--Sale, Arrieta, Richards, Tanaka and Iwakuma, for example. Of course my starting pitching is gar-bage...I just had to experiment with my offense. Will be interesting to see how your team pans out.

J-Pav

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

On offense, the pool is still pretty deep as well, with a full quota of high and low dollar players (although the meat in the middle has been picked fairly clean). I guess it just boils down to recognizing what combinations work in what circumstances. If my past teams are any indication, I should be okay, but with any one individual team, you really just never know.

J-Pav

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 3:58 pm

gbrookes:

That's a LOT of homers from a $60 mil team! Nice low budget staff, too!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx