Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

coolhandlewke

Re: Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

PostSat Dec 19, 2015 5:45 pm

LANCEBOUSLEY wrote:here is an all 1's team I am trying, early on but kinda meh.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1415760

it's plus 35 in runs scored but too weak vs lhp.

what are the odds? we are both in the same division in that league. http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1415723
we both are mired at .500, even though we have the top 2 differentials. I have a feeling things are going to sort out there. one of us two will take down the division i'll bet. the league leader at .667 has a negative differential.

milleram

PostSat Dec 19, 2015 9:57 pm

LANCEBOUSLEY wrote:here is an all 1's team I am trying, early on but kinda meh.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1415760

it's plus 35 in runs scored but too weak vs lhp.

I like this team, and am curious to see how it plays out---I personally wouldn't have gone with Miller park as I don't see enough HR power in the lineup, but it is hard to argue with +35 runs 36 games into a season.

sbrietzke

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 1:47 pm

I'm a Rookie (or nearly so) owner, learning as I go, and thanks for this thread! With regard to this discussion, I have a current team featuring Turner, Dickerson, and Zach Walters.....and we suck ass. Not sure if I picked the wrong kind of ballpark or not. Interested in pitching settings.

Here's a link to my team....[http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1410770]

I've tried to get my bullpen more innings, but not sure how to do it....I have Papelbon set as closer and all the starters have F8 settings. Quick hook or innings limits, maybe?

interested in your thoughts!

J-Pav

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Leaving aside player selection, two things stand out:

Pitching

The wrong relievers are getting the most innings. I would leave the SPs blank (no F ratings) and set Papelbon and Davis to get as many innings as you can cram in by using the relief settings and maybe setting them to slow hook, or adding an F rating.

Defense

You have 200 x chance fails. 70% of x chances converted usually will not cut it without some corresponding off-set by big run producers.

You're 8th in offense and 8th in defense. Next time you can either opt for trying to be first in one category, 6th in the other, or try and be third or fourth in both categories.

Food for thought...

ScumbyJr

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 5:10 pm

sbrietzke wrote:I'm a Rookie (or nearly so) owner, learning as I go, and thanks for this thread! With regard to this discussion, I have a current team featuring Turner, Dickerson, and Zach Walters.....and we suck ass. Not sure if I picked the wrong kind of ballpark or not. Interested in pitching settings.

I've tried to get my bullpen more innings, but not sure how to do it....I have Papelbon set as closer and all the starters have F8 settings. Quick hook or innings limits, maybe?

Too much wasted payroll in the bullpen. Don't need Davis and/or Putnam. That payroll should of be used to for a DH against RHP, Walters should strictly platoon against LHP and a better hitting SS. Galvis is a very nice card, but should be used as a backup and defensive sub.

milleram

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 7:28 pm

sbrietzke wrote:I'm a Rookie (or nearly so) owner, learning as I go, and thanks for this thread! With regard to this discussion, I have a current team featuring Turner, Dickerson, and Zach Walters.....and we suck ass. Not sure if I picked the wrong kind of ballpark or not. Interested in pitching settings.

If you're very new To Strat--the best way to learn quickly is to jump into Players Championship tournament and study the better teams in the various leagues---go into the various leagues, you can see every teams stats, and further how the team was put together for the park it is in---here is the link, but you should find how to get to this link through the threads also. Study the winning teams and the losing ones too.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/tournament/23

It is difficult to figure out the best players for parks, and I have been playing about 3 years and still make poor decisions--I intentionally try some experimental teams from time to time to see how some players (or groups of players) fare in certain parks---sometimes the league is just a poor one for the park you picked and not much you can do in the long run.

I actually don't mind poor teams as they give me chances to experiment and make moves early and mid season--the teams I hate the most are those 84-86 win teams that miss the playoffs by one game.

I agree with both assessments above that generally the relievers are not getting enough innings, or you spent to much on relievers that are pitching little. Also agree the fielding is somewhat weak overall--especially up the middle where most X chances (fielding chart) go. Segura should have played more. Segura/Romine is a nice platoon for cheap with the 2014 set and good fielding.

Setting the pitchers prefs to get the most out of relievers takes some experience, but with that relief staff I would have my pitchers with no f settings and quick hooks, the better relievers with F settings (F6 to maybe F4 or F3) to keep them in another couple of batters. maybe the fifth starter to 6 max also---I don't like F settings lower than F3--and even then it is noticeable that more rolls are on the hitters card. (as the pitcher gets tired there is a chance a roll will be moved to the hitters card--it is transparent but real--as the pitcher becomes more fatigued the odds go up--but some pitchers are better tired (to a point) than others are when fresh.

J-Pav

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 2:41 pm

The Tour Semi-Finals has a week and a half to go. The top dozen teams and their highest priced offensive player:

1. 79-50 wjb23 ($9.00 Abreu)
2. 77-52 bigmahon ($10.55 Stanton)
3. 73-56 gilbo ($10.55 Stanton)
4. 70-59 ScumbyJr ($8.95 Puig)
5. 69-60 Dr_Marc ($10.70 Tulo)
6. 69-60 gbrookes ($7.07 Rendon)
7. 69-60 waynick ($8.77 Posey)
8. 68-61 krazykat ($11.72 McCutchen)
9. 68-61 rickburr ($6.38 Ortiz)
10. 68-61 Zendoggy ($8.88 Gomez)
11. 67-62 bbfan ($7.15 Span)
12. 67-62 mesquiton ($6.96 Soler)

The avg of these ten teams is $8.89, higher than what I found and slightly lower than what Spider 67 found in the tour qualifying leagues. Exactly half of teams were above $8.89, half were below. Only three of these teams (and possibly others not included here) can be Champs. Admittedly it can go either way, all capable managers on the list. Curious to see how it all plays out...

ScumbyJr

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 3:59 pm

J-Pav wrote:The Tour Semi-Finals has a week and a half to go. The top dozen teams and their highest priced offensive player:

1. 79-50 wjb23 ($9.00 Abreu)
2. 77-52 bigmahon ($10.55 Stanton)
3. 73-56 gilbo ($10.55 Stanton)
4. 70-59 ScumbyJr ($8.95 Puig)
5. 69-60 Dr_Marc ($10.70 Tulo)
6. 69-60 gbrookes ($7.07 Rendon)
7. 69-60 waynick ($8.77 Posey)
8. 68-61 krazykat ($11.72 McCutchen)
9. 68-61 rickburr ($6.38 Ortiz)
10. 68-61 Zendoggy ($8.88 Gomez)
11. 67-62 bbfan ($7.15 Span)
12. 67-62 mesquiton ($6.96 Soler)

The avg of these ten teams is $8.89, higher than what I found and slightly lower than what Spider 67 found in the tour qualifying leagues. Exactly half of teams were above $8.89, half were below. Only three of these teams (and possibly others not included here) can be Champs. Admittedly it can go either way, all capable managers on the list. Curious to see how it all plays out...

Disclosure -Puig was picked up as a FA and priced higher than anyone on my draft card. Dropped Adam Jones (not listed either) to get him.

milleram

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

You need to subtract Soler and add another Cutch into there--pushing the total over 9M

J-Pav

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 12:18 am

Valen - paging Valen...
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx