Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Re: Champs: Who is your highest priced offensive player?

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Most of the time those so called secret formulas just make me laugh and roll my eyes.

J-Pav

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 pm

That's some deep feedback Milty. Thx!

Somewhere along the way it appears you may have misinterpreted something. Apologies you were disappointed in the analysis - but I can clarify anything you wish if you can discuss something more meaningful than your eye roll...

freeman

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:02 pm

For what it's worth the best offensive team I had this year played in Miller, I spent 50 mill on O, and I got significant contributions from S. Rodriguez (2.38), K. Davis (2.98), Francisco (1.83), Wieters (3.46), Freiman (.75!) If you can get value from cheap players, then getting the high-priced players is still a good way to go, I think.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1411046

J-Pav

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 pm

freeman:

If you could swap Trout for Kemp's price and stats applied to CF, you might have added $7 mil to your pitching.

Here you won with the 5-4 scoring model. This year it leans lower (more 4-3 scores), but that doesn't mean anything if your run diff is high.

Here's my team with Rendon as the high priced player, putting the theory into action (run diff of 203):

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1407265

freeman

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Interesting. Yep that's a better team. But being able to get value out of low- priced players with 8 (or close to 8) BP numbers by putting them in extreme power parks is part of it, I think. Not as easy to do in a pitcher's park.

J-Pav

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Ah!

Pitching is Chapter 2! There's plenty there for when everyone goes chasing Roberto Perez! You'll be surprised and amazed with the additional secrets to be had on the pitching side...!

freeman

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 4:04 pm

I found this team from Jmoore which exemplifies getting the 4-6 million guys. 763 runs with only 46.5 spent on offense.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1408857

J-Pav

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Yes. I'm wondering if the 5-5-5, 4-4-4, 3-3-3 model isn't precisely the optimal way to go.

Where did everyone else go off to??

milleram

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm not in the class of J-Pav or Marc Pelletier when it comes to putting teams together (or winning for that matter)---and I have no idea how to answer J-Pavs question----

AT first I thought regardless of the price of a player(s)--you look for the group that net the best run differential for your park--I tended to go for mid priced guys for my 1st 40 teams--after many, many teams that were 1st to 4th in the run differential, yet missed the playoffs--I wonder.

Lately I think a lot of low priced value guys allow you to go for a Horse or two in the long run and I tend to go for a stud or two in my lineup.

I like "cheap platoons" that have at least two of these four attributes, preferably three--good OB Pct, good BA, good fielding, and good speed--not necessarily stealing, and A/B ratings in Bunt/H&R help too.

Platoons like Segura/Romine, Lombardozzi/Sanchez--even Elian Herrera/Grant Green at 3B since it is a weak position this year (to me anyway)--combine them with middle price platoons like Lind/Valencia, Adams/Butler at 1B, Peralta/Rios in RF and catchers are often platoons---put 5 low/middle priced platoons on your team and you have much more cash to go for one or two of the top offensive studs or expensive pitching---depending on your park and division.

J-Pav

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 4:38 pm

milleram wrote:after many, many teams that were 1st to 4th in the run differential, yet missed the playoffs--I wonder.

This is always a big frustration, but I think everything boils down to run diff. Yes, it's muted when you have equally capable managers building equally balanced teams, but I think your goal should always be to maximize your run diff.

To do this, smart platoons can leverage your salary, without question.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx