How important is T-rating?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Stoney18

Re: How important is T-rating?

PostSun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for the feedback and analysis. I will have -3 to -5 net hold on most of staff (pitcher and C arm) so it might not be too bad. Mostly pitchers parks so the extra runs could be costly.

LMBombers

PostSun Nov 08, 2015 12:15 pm

the splinter wrote:So the 2014 McKenry would not be on your draft list?

c-3(+2)e7,T-14(pb-3)

No, I would not use McKenry as my starting catcher. The +2 arm invites SB attempts and he will sail the ball into CF for an extra base more times than many other catchers would. It is the same thing as starting a poor fielder who can hit at any other position. It all depends on how much bad defense you are comfortable using vs good offense.

jimmerw55

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 3:27 pm

LMBombers wrote:

c-3(+2)e7,T-14(pb-3)

No, I would not use McKenry as my starting catcher. The +2 arm invites SB attempts and he will sail the ball into CF for an extra base more times than many other catchers would. It is the same thing as starting a poor fielder who can hit at any other position. It all depends on how much bad defense you are comfortable using vs good offense.

I noticed my opponent's catchers for my semi-final round were Wieters and Wilin Rosario and he had weak outfield arms so I switched my base running and stealing to very aggressive. I took the 1st 2 games in his ball park (he was 99-63 on the year and I was 90-72 and the wild card). This game shows how 3 SB's, 2 bunts (one a squeeze that sent home the tying run and put the winning run on base) and one single won the game for me in the 9th because I adjusted my strategy based on his catching deficiency. Now I have my ace Lester pitching game 3 at home and have him if also if it goes to a game 7.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/427955/975

Stoney18

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:27 am

I couldn't find catchers I wanted within my budget so I'm going with Roberto Perez T-18/Wilin Rosario T-16 as a platoon. I plan to add updates to this as the season progresses but here's my thought process based on the advice given.

A) Pitchers park so errors could be more critical - I'm in Nationals with 2 other neutral/pitcher parks and 1 hitters. Only 3 true hitters (power) parks in the league so this could be a negative factor.

B) Pitcher hold - Lynn/Greinke -2, Bumgarner -5 and Strasburg +2 with Benoit -3 for most of bullpen. Both catchers are -1 arm so opportunities should be limited. Few A rated stealers in my division.

C) 7 of 14 SP in my division are lefty so Rosario's offense is important.

Stats thru 9 games.

Perez - 2 SB 0 CS 1 throwing error
Rosario - 3 SB 1CS 1 throwing error

Both errors led to runs
4 of the 5 SB were with Strasburger pitching

jimmerw55

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 1:07 pm

jimmerw55 wrote:
LMBombers wrote:

c-3(+2)e7,T-14(pb-3)

I noticed my opponent's catchers for my semi-final round were Wieters and Wilin Rosario and he had weak outfield arms so I switched my base running and stealing to very aggressive. I took the 1st 2 games in his ball park (he was 99-63 on the year and I was 90-72 and the wild card). This game shows how 3 SB's, 2 bunts (one a squeeze that sent home the tying run and put the winning run on base) and one single won the game for me in the 9th because I adjusted my strategy based on his catching deficiency. Now I have my ace Lester pitching game 3 at home and have him if also if it goes to a game 7.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/427955/975

Update, won games 3 & 5 and on to the finals. Won 3-2 in game 5 with all runs as a result of SB's/throwing error (6 for 6 in SB's for the game)

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/ga ... 427955/981

MARCPELLETIER

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Jimmerw55,

Just want to say how your series exemplifies the importance of micro-managing, having the right settings for each series. I'm kinda lazy to do this on a seasonal basis, but I always do it in the playoffs--I believe it's worth the time.

jimmerw55

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 1:37 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:Jimmerw55,

Just want to say how your series exemplifies the importance of micro-managing, having the right settings for each series. I'm kinda lazy to do this on a seasonal basis, but I always do it in the playoffs--I believe it's worth the time.

Update: Would like to say things went well in the finals but I was swept in 4 straight (3 games were blowouts, pitching matchups didn't work out well for me and he clobbered me with his power). At least I won a credit back.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... res/427955

coyote303

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 am

jimmerw55 wrote:
MARCPELLETIER wrote:Jimmerw55,

Update: Would like to say things went well in the finals but I was swept in 4 straight (3 games were blowouts, pitching matchups didn't work out well for me and he clobbered me with his power). At least I won a credit back.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... res/427955

I play duplicate bridge, and in one key aspect it reminds me of SOM. Both are games of percentages. You can make the right moves in either game, but they don't always work out. In fact, it's worse in SOM because in duplicate bridge you at least are playing the same cards as the people you are being compared to.

However, in the long run, making the right moves will pay off. It's extra satisfying when it happens in the playoffs (such as in your first series) and disappointing when nothing you do matters in key games (such as in your finals).

Of course, one thing that makes SOM (and baseball in general) so interesting is it is not always obvious what the best moves are. This leads to interesting discussions--this thread for example!
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx