5 man rotation

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Risden

Re: 5 man rotation

PostWed May 20, 2015 7:41 am

The SOM model is a bit outdated in this regard. In the years 2012-2014, the leaders in Games Started for actual MLB regular seasons were tied at 34. In 2011, two starters actually lead MLB with 35 games started.

A 4-man rotation for the length of a regular season rotation is unrealistic.

I'm not sure what the optimal correction would be...

[*]A 5-man rotation that would produce a maximum number of starts for any SP at 33 starts? 33 starts for the top two guys in the rotation and 32 for the other 3 guys in a 5-man rotation?

[*]Or forcing a 6-man rotation in which only a certain number of SP's can go on 4 days of rest between starts? In other words, the new SP* would need 4 days of rest and could be manipulated to get to 33 starts but non-* SP's would need 5 days of rest, forcing owners to avoid the "set" rotation?

jimmerw55

PostWed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Risden wrote:The SOM model is a bit outdated in this regard. In the years 2012-2014, the leaders in Games Started for actual MLB regular seasons were tied at 34. In 2011, two starters actually lead MLB with 35 games started.

A 4-man rotation for the length of a regular season rotation is unrealistic.

I'm not sure what the optimal correction would be...

[*]A 5-man rotation that would produce a maximum number of starts for any SP at 33 starts? 33 starts for the top two guys in the rotation and 32 for the other 3 guys in a 5-man rotation?

[*]Or forcing a 6-man rotation in which only a certain number of SP's can go on 4 days of rest between starts? In other words, the new SP* would need 4 days of rest and could be manipulated to get to 33 starts but non-* SP's would need 5 days of rest, forcing owners to avoid the "set" rotation?

If you change to get rid of the 4 man rotation than you have to fix the 'super-reliever' issue where you have relief pitchers pitching 250-300 innings a season.

coyote303

PostWed May 20, 2015 12:15 pm

I have run a 5-man rotation with one or two ace * pitchers and the rest low-priced non-* starters. It's not a regular 5-man rotation because the ace * pitcher(s) start every four days. I don't normally do this, but it is a viable alternative depending on which pitchers are available and how much I plan to spend on my starting staff.

However, if I ever have an ace non-* pitcher, I always go with a regular 5-man rotation. There is no way to let another pitcher start every four games without taking away starts from an ace non-* pitcher.

The key is to always pitch your aces the maximum number of starts.

MARCPELLETIER

PostWed May 20, 2015 1:12 pm

The SOM model is a bit outdated in this regard. In the years 2012-2014, the leaders in Games Started for actual MLB regular seasons were tied at 34. In 2011, two starters actually lead MLB with 35 games started.

True, SOM is outdated. This said, the reason why pitchers top at 34 games is not only because teams have 5-men rotation, but because managers multiply the extra days of rest. I wonder actually if we're not heading in the direction of the Japan leagues where pitchers now have 5 days of rest.

King Felix is one of the pitcher who started 34 games. I just looked at the 2014 Mariners calendar. I lost count but King F. had about 14 extra days of rest, 3 of which were "forced" (no game scheduled after four days of rest). So there were 10-11 days where King F. was fresh, and a game was scheduled, and yet he did not pitch. He even got a start after 6 days of rest even though a game was scheduled after a 4-day rest. That's easily two starts from King Felix that the Mariners lost.

Moreover, there is enough flexibility in the calendar so that if a coach could squeeze in only one start at 3 days of rest before all-star and one after the all-star break, if those starts are carefully selected in the calendar, you could get another 2-3 extra starts.

So, even with 5-men rotation, you could manage the calendar to get at least 36 starts, and up to 38 starts with some creativity.

Risden

PostWed May 20, 2015 3:41 pm

jimmerw55 wrote:If you change to get rid of the 4 man rotation than you have to fix the 'super-reliever' issue where you have relief pitchers pitching 250-300 innings a season.

Agreed

tony best

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Well, I think the consensus is keep all five starters as non * so I am doing my first five man rotation team. Now. after some great discussion- which is better 5 man or 4???

l.strether

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:33 pm

If you're going to spend significantly less on starting pitching, I would go with a 5-man rotation. There are more quality cheap non-*pitchers out there than quality cheap *pitchers. If you are planning to spend significantly more on starting pitching, I would go with the 4-man rotation with four studs instead of spending heavily on five starters. As an option to both, one of my faves is a 5-man staff with one high-quality *pitcher and four quality cheap non-*ones, with the ace pitching every four days.

Of course, the pitchers each season provides significantly determines the best options. Sometimes a league gives us a plethora of *pitchers and not as many great non-* ones; sometimes they do the opposite. So, it's also important to base your rotation choice on the pitchers available.

MARCPELLETIER

PostWed May 20, 2015 7:05 pm

No easy answer. There are more options in *SP among 7-inning pitchers---a good thing if you plan to go with a light bullpen and depend on your starters to eat up iinings), but there are more versality, more diversity among non*SP (more 8L, 7R, with lots of BP, or without BP) if you stick with pitchers with less stamina.

ClowntimeIsOver

PostWed May 20, 2015 9:45 pm

I think most would agree that four * starters is a little more risky at the drafting stage, because if you miss a couple picks you have to find a * to replace them, and the pool can be thin on waivers -- AND you have a harder time matching your park.

MARCPELLETIER wrote: BTW, I did the same in my first Tour team----Baker is 3.06 so far ;)

Are you in a pitcher's park?

I'm pleased with choosing Baker, based on looking at his OB chances in a pitcher's park, and limiting him (he averages slightly more than 5 IP per game).

While on the topic of good values -- check out Abreu (0.8m-ish) in a platoon against righties -- on my team he's near .400 OBP vs RHP (same team as Baker). Yes, he does give up singles and errors as a LF.

MARCPELLETIER

PostWed May 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Are you in a pitcher's park?

I'm pleased with choosing Baker, based on looking at his OB chances in a pitcher's park, and limiting him (he averages slightly more than 5 IP per game).

Yop, AT&T, using him the very same way than you do---I split his job with C. Martinez.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx