Pickoff Prevention

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Badjam

Re: Pickoff Prevention

PostSat Mar 21, 2015 11:29 am

I've had Jesse Tannehill steal a base the other day for me in the playoffs. What is his steal rating? How do I stop pitchers from attempting to steal a base? My team steal setting is at normal. Aren't we using the #5 pitchers hitter cards for him? Or do pitchers have individual hitter cards now? I sent these same questions to SOM and am waiting for the reply.

MARCPELLETIER

PostSat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Pitchers can have a steal rating. Besides, i believe thAt the game online doesn't use the #1-#8 pitcher's hitting cards as is. SOM individualizes the hitting cards to make them more realistic.

Ninersphan

PostSat Mar 21, 2015 1:51 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:Pitchers can have a steal rating. Besides, i believe thAt the game online doesn't use the #1-#8 pitcher's hitting cards as is. SOM individualizes the hitting cards to make them more realistic.

Not according to the wiki for the online game Bernie set up a few years ago:

http://somonline.wikia.com/wiki/Pitcher_Hitting_Cards

milleram

PostSat Mar 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Pitchers use the same hitting cards as the board game while hitting---but there is individual running, stealing and fielding.

The vast majority of pitchers are still E stealing and running 1-10 and -/- (3-1) but a few are rated.

You can see running in the strategy guide (if you bought one) and you can see if the pitcher is rated as an other than an E stealer---but other than the roster charts that come with the physical cards (if you order them) you can't find the advanced stealing rating for those pitchers that actually stole a base during the year.

On 2014 Cincinnati Cueto's & Latos running is 13, Leake is 15 stealing E for all.

2014 Kershaw is 14, D--so he stole a base--he will have an advanced rating--but other than buying the physical cards (a roster chart comes with them, and this is where that info is stored) I don't know where to find it--also you can't set them to more steal or don't steal--so it's up to the HAL AI.

l.strether

PostSat Mar 21, 2015 7:11 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:Pitchers can have a steal rating. Besides, i believe thAt the game online doesn't use the #1-#8 pitcher's hitting cards as is. SOM individualizes the hitting cards to make them more realistic.

It doesn't make sense for pitchers to have different steal ratings, since there isn't enough differential in base-stealing production between pitchers to merit it. I think Zack Greinke is the last pitcher in awhile to steal multiple bases, and he stole two. Even if we go further back in recent history, the exceptional athletes Bob Gibson and Blue Moon Odom only stole (respectively) 5 and 4 bases in a single season. So, I'm not sure that would even merit separate ratings.

There were pitchers in the ATG days who stole enough bases to merit it, but that's a different set I never touch and is a different area of debate.

MARCPELLETIER

PostSat Mar 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Besides, i believe thAt the game online doesn't use the #1-#8 pitcher's hitting cards as is.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. SOM does use the #1-#8 pitcher's hitting cards, but it does not use it "as is", I meant that the online version also has the "Correct Board Game Excesses" turned on.

http://somonline.wikia.com/wiki/Maximum_Rules

"This option improves overall statistical accuracy by adjusting for minor variances that cannot be accounted for in the board game.

Turning on this option improves the statistical accuracy of certain players who had extreme performances. For instance certain pitchers such as Greg Maddux allow very few walks. Using this option will enable Maddux to duplicate his real-life dominance in this area. A number of categories are affected by this option including home runs, walks and strikeouts. Also pitchers hitting will be affected by using this option, resulting in less walks and extra base hits by pitchers."

So hitters, including pitchers who are hitting, might be affected by this correction, in my understanding.

Valen

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 am

"This option improves overall statistical accuracy by adjusting for minor variances that cannot be accounted for in the board game.
Turning on this option improves the statistical accuracy of certain players who had extreme performances. For instance certain pitchers such as Greg Maddux allow very few walks. Using this option will enable Maddux to duplicate his real-life dominance in this area. A number of categories are affected by this option including home runs, walks and strikeouts. Also pitchers hitting will be affected by using this option, resulting in less walks and extra base hits by pitchers."
So hitters, including pitchers who are hitting, might be affected by this correction, in my understanding.

I believe the mechanism by which pitchers hitting is changed is on the opposing pitcher card. Pitchers batting do not get the full benefit of chances for extra base hits and walks off the opposing pitcher. For example Al Nipper86 is on the mound with a righty batting pitcher at the plate and a 6-5 is rolled. That might be the excess. There is insufficient information about how the statistical accuracy works so just speculating. The game engine could change the 6 to a 3 so the result is now read off the pitcher hitting card and the dice roll result displaying as simply 3-6. You would never know from the box score play by play an adjustment had been made. Or the game could simply discard the dice roll completely and roll the dice again.

The game engine might adjust the dice roll to

There is no need to alter the 1-8 pitcher hitting cards.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx