What comes after the secret formula?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

J-Pav

Re: What comes after the secret formula?

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 am

Freeman:

Thx for fixing the link, I guess you quickly caught on that at first it did not work.

It was fun re-reading an old thread like that! You know what was even funnier? The old boards had some personal info on it, and I always enjoyed getting a small bit of bio information about the other managers. I noticed I referred to “Mark” (elpasopesos) as “Professor”.

What a peculiar coincidence, eh? :lol:

I thought there was something oddly familiar with the oddness here.

FrankieT

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:34 pm

J-Pav wrote:Thx Palmtana - 8-)

I’m still rolling in cash from my Secret Formula royalties, so no need to make new posts anyways. :lol:

Ha.

Wow blasts from the past. I had a break in between a few versions...whatever happened to Coffeeholic? He was a good guy.

I guess I'm trolling too, but only because most of the rest of the boards are usually pretty dead the past few years.

The nice thing about the game is the not-so-secret formula is there is no universal strategy, except that to field a winning team you have to compete well in the long run against your opponents.

Most of that, I think, is simply having a roster that is worth more than it costs. So, having more players that are underpriced vs overpriced (for their usage conditions) is the "secret". Clearly, if person A spends 3.94M on Ryne Duren and person B spends 5.50M on any number of starters, the Ryne Duren team will likely get the same performance but have an extra mil or two to spend somewhere else.
Ballparks notwithstanding. And of course the whole issue in this specific case is that most people know the 3.94 Duren shouldn't be a starter anyway, but there are many cards like that.

Anyway, thanks for the giggle J-Pav.
And good topic overall, guys.

elpasopesos

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 am

J-Pav wrote:Freeman:

Thx for fixing the link, I guess you quickly caught on that at first it did not work.

It was fun re-reading an old thread like that! You know what was even funnier? The old boards had some personal info on it, and I always enjoyed getting a small bit of bio information about the other managers. I noticed I referred to “Mark” (elpasopesos) as “Professor”.

What a peculiar coincidence, eh? :lol:

I thought there was something oddly familiar with the oddness here.

Yes J Pav. I am bored too. And I am sorry I am off so venomous. I just retired but I gave been dealing with a herniated disk since September.Pain makes me mean.

Mumford

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:10 pm

"Clearly, if person A spends 3.94M on Ryne Duren and person B spends 5.50M on any number of starters, the Ryne Duren team will likely get the same performance but have an extra mil or two to spend somewhere else.
Ballparks notwithstanding. And of course the whole issue in this specific case is that most people know the 3.94 Duren shouldn't be a starter anyway, but there are many cards like that."

This is actually an ATG issue not 20XX. Savvy players know he would be a starter.
I nominated Duren in one of those polls to add new ATG cards. There were a couple posters baffled why Ryne got so many votes and was added. A SP with zero BP singles was my reason for nominating.

FrankieT

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Oops--yep sorry crossed from an ATG thread there.

Hey as far as Duren--I use him a lot as a starter--he is not priced correctly--about 2M too low so he is an important part of any non-* starting staff at 100M or below. So the only befuddlement from me is why he doesn't cost about 5.50M. He is probably as much of a success indicator as the Pineiro, Wheeler, Felsch, etc cards that are all underpriced.

In fact...proof: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1534061
:)

But my point on him was he only started once that year--The guys in Glen Head should not have given him an S rating, IMO.
Cheers and my apologies for crossing streams. I haven't played the 20xx game in probably 10 years and have stuck with ATG like an old blanket. Maybe is time to dive back in.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx