New Players: Model of Skill Acquisition

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

milleram

Re: New Players: Model of Skill Acquisition

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 pm

I played a lot of dice & cards games and Pitching and defense (up the middle) were paramount, because you could always put together a decent offense--I was surprised to see the results I got online with the 2012 set---I agree with Steve--you should get what you pay for pitching wise, but I never felt I did with my starters last year. I felt the most important pitcher(s) on the team was the setup guy(s).

It is easy to get frustrated as a new online player.

I am going to quit posting and let J-Pav present his plan here, and I apologize to him for getting off subject-- I hope he helps a bunch of new online players stick around instead of giving up. I wish I had his advise last year.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 12:05 pm

My plan is to hear what everyone else has to say! :lol:

So don't wait for me, just keep on posting thoughts, even if it is just stream of consciousness stuff. We've kind of reached the point now where the "How Bad Can You Be?" thread began. So we're in that space where a manager is starting to have light bulbs :idea: :idea: :idea: going off and he's able to translate those ideas into successful seasons (or not).

While it's fun to try and remember what it was like to be in those shoes (over 12 years ago for a lot of us), what we really need is to get those newer managers on here posting their own thoughts and questions. I wonder if a dozen or so of us original gangsters talking amongst ourselves is as effective as having the new players actually chime in...

keyzick

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 1:39 pm

I think it would be very helpful for a newb to learn how to spend wisely in their approach to building a team.

- sort the FA list position by position
- see how deep/shallow the talent level is at each position
- use that info to get an idea where to target big dollars (ie., the more shallow positions)
- spend less in the deep positions

And by deep pools, I mean where you can still get some great quality even if you don't get the top 2 or 3 in that position.

I typically save BIG on 2b and ss because of deep pools...their just is not all that much separation beyond the top 3 in each, yet you can still get productive talent that is not only going to help you in Those positions, but also in others by saving bucks for the positions that have drastic drop offs (like CF).

Ok, maybe this is for a newb with a couple seasons online experience and/or offline SOM experience.

ROBERTLATORRE

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Awesome thread guys! Great reading! Great info!

george barnard

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Let me join the Thank You J-Pav Train! Not just for this thread, but for all those other great Secret Formula threads throughout the years. Little things gleaned here and there have moved me up from perennial cellar dweller to a consistent third place occupant. ;) They also show that sharing is beneficial to all: better players make for a better game.

One thing I still like to do (and I admit this is easier in ATG) is to take the same team (or reasonably so) and place them in a hitters' park, a pitchers' park and a neutral park. Even with the inevitable variables of other stadiums in the various leagues, by doing this, you really see how parks have a demonstrable effect on the final results.

Thanks again, J-Pav.

Bill

coyote303

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 pm

One thing I still like to do (and I admit this is easier in ATG) is to take the same team (or reasonably so) and place them in a hitters' park, a pitchers' park and a neutral park. Even with the inevitable variables of other stadiums in the various leagues, by doing this, you really see how parks have a demonstrable effect on the final results.

I'd like to hear more about how this has worked out!

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Speaking of myopia, something I keep forgetting to mention is that I have never played ATG one single time. I play 20xx exclusively, and everything I write about is viewed through that particular lens.

Only just now have I noticed how many times you guys say "I play ATG..."

So for any new players or for anybody who might be confused, I have no idea whatsoever what works on ATG, and whether some or any of this translates well to that format. I would imagine most of the best practices apply across the board, but please note, when I am sharing my particular experiences, it is for 20xx only!

And thanks to all for the great discussion and especially with regard to the kind personal comments. I appreciate it! :D

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 5:07 pm

J-Pav wrote:Speaking of myopia, something I keep forgetting to mention is that I have never played ATG one single time. I play 20xx exclusively, and everything I write about is viewed through that particular lens.

Only just now have I noticed how many times you guys say "I play ATG..."

So for any new players or for anybody who might be confused, I have no idea whatsoever what works on ATG, and whether some or any of this translates well to that format. I would imagine most of the best practices apply across the board, but please note, when I am sharing my particular experiences, it is for 20xx only!

And thanks to all for the great discussion and especially with regard to the kind personal comments. I appreciate it! :D

Playing both I would say it's a lot easier to pick up 20XX. Far fewer players and ballparks, and most importantly a totally different salary structure. ATG is kind of gimmicky since there are so many different eras plus Negro league guys, (SOM tried to put in Japanese and Cuban players. Was not well received)

Valen

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 5:56 pm

- use that info to get an idea where to target big dollars (ie., the more shallow positions)

This can be especially important in the spring when the new set is made available. The same positions may not be shallow year to year. The year Gonzalez for example had his big year I always had either him or Cruz junior playing left field. For me that season LF was considered a 2 deep position. There was one year where there were 3 shortstops who were good and injury free. For me that year short was a 3 deep position.

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Valen wrote:

This can be especially important in the spring when the new set is made available. The same positions may not be shallow year to year. The year Gonzalez for example had his big year I always had either him or Cruz junior playing left field. For me that season LF was considered a 2 deep position. There was one year where there were 3 shortstops who were good and injury free. For me that year short was a 3 deep position.

2013 set SS is so deep in great D, so-so hitting I rarely see Simmons being used.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx