Instant replay

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Instant replay

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Now that we have seen a couple months of it am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on instant replay in MLB.

What has struck me the most is how it has made managers so much more civil.

Seems like in the past a close call would result in a manager running out, turning his cap around so he could get in the umps face and scream. They always seemed so certain the ump had missed the call.

Now same close play. The manager slowly strolls out. Reaches the ump and has a casual conversation. Looks like they could be discussing what they are going to eat after the game. He casually chats while looking with one eye to the dugout so their bench coach can signal them whether to challenge....

DOUGELKE

Re: Instant replay

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 9:16 pm

I think it's been good for baseball.For the most part a majority of calls the umpire was right.One was used tonight in the yankee game on a stolen base attempt wher the umpire called the runner safe and after the replay it shows the 2nd baseman just barely got his shirt.But after quite along deliberation and on slo-motion.An umpire has to make a quick call and sometimes is not able to get it right.The majority of ones I've seen turned over took quite awhile and slo-motion made the call.

Palmtana

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 pm

The umpires on the field have to be conflicted about the new system. On the one hand some of the game has been taken from their control. But less confrontation means less blood pressure spikes. I've seen some balls and strikes in-your-face arguments but that's about it.

Valen

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Overall I like it because the right call is being made more often. I think the Rangers have won about half their challenges. It would be interesting to see the numbers for all teams.

Rangers had a play this weekend where both teams challenged. Rangers lost on both as replay showed Elvis did not hustle coming home on a double steal and thus did not score prior to Rios being thrown out attempting to steal second. Disappointing as Elvis normally plays the game pretty hard.

Palmtana

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 11:47 am

Valen wrote:... I think the Rangers have won about half their challenges....

That's what it is turning out to be for challenges. 50-50. Here are the overall results and then you can sort by team.

DOUGELKE

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Another reason I like this is it's retired umpires doing the replay calls.I think that makes it easier for the umpires to see their calls sometimes overruled.

Valen

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks Palmtana. When these boards finally die it is the knowledge of guys like you I will miss most.

coyote303

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 9:23 pm

A few nights ago, the last Rocky was called out on a pitch that was six inches inside. I've always wondered if the umpires ever go back and look to see if they had it right. (In this case, it was obvious that he didn't.)

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx