Jon Singleton

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Jon Singleton

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Here is an interesting article,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/former-astros-pitcher-bud-norris-thinks-team-gave-rookie-a--terrible--new-contract-185827757.html

I was surprised to hear Houston gave some guy so many years before playing even one game in Houston. They must be pretty confident in what his future will be. Reminds me a little of the deal Tampa gave Moore a couple years back.

STEVE F

Re: Jon Singleton

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 8:02 pm

I was a little surprised too. Maybe the only way Houston can put together a competitive team again is with "bargain" contracts

l.strether

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Actually, George Springer reportedly--and if so, smartly--refused a similar deal, which was reportedly why he didn't start the year in Houston. Bud Norris and Mark Mulder--as your article I cant access reportedly says--called Singleton out for accepting the deal, insinuating he was foolish--and, according to Mulder, under-confident--for accepting such a deal that nullifies possibly better money from future arbitration.

Singleton is an excellent hitting prospect (if he can stay away from the ganja), and Houston is definitely counting on him to both be their regular first baseman and form a solid core with Springer (who' rocks) and, hopefully, Mike Foltenywiecz and Domingo Santana, so the deal isn't particularly high-risk for them.

It will be interesting to see if more teams follow Houston's lead and if the MLB player's union puts up any substantial objections to it. If teams do, I truly doubt more substantial prospects than Singleton--such as Kris Bryant or Jonathan Gray--will accept them.
Last edited by l.strether on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEVE F

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Correa is the one I'm anxious to see, although they're all good prospects

l.strether

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Yeah, I completely forgot Correa...and he really is the gem of the group. I am looking forward to seeing him as well...and there's no way he signs such a contract.

Valen

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 pm

If he turns out what they expect probably a good idea as it will save a lot of money which can then be spent to fill in holes in other places. And the really expensive last 2 years have buyout options. So risk is low. He may be passing up a chance to get a lot more in arbitration and free agency down the road but he should hit free agency at around 30 so still in line for one opportunity at big bucks. Of course for most of us $35 mil would be big bucks that set us and our families up for life.

Wonder though if this will be a unique thing or if it will be a trend.

I can see why some veteran players and perhaps the union in general would not be thrilled. If he turns out to be a 30 HR hitter other young sluggers as they approach arbitration might be compared to this standard.

l.strether

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 2:06 pm

I have your Dodgers taking RHP Nick Howard from Virginia on my draft board, Steve, as well as my Giants taking Tyler Beede (with some luck) from Vanderbilt.

And the Giants actually got Young Beedah. I'm hoping he hits AT&T by 2016 in time to either replace Lincecum (and his pricey contract) or join an improved Timmy, MadBum, Cain and Huddy.
Last edited by l.strether on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Hoping Tyler Beede from Vandy is the Brewers pick at #12.

STEVE F

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 pm

I think Aiken has to be #1. I think Roden could slide but I see the White Sox taking him at 3 mostly because they're afraid cross town rival Cubs would take him at 4 if they don't. Never underestimate the rivalry of these two lost and mediocre franchises.
I see the Dodgers gambling on LV righty Erick Fedde, who certainly would have gone higher if not for TJ surgery

Valen

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Heard Singleton homered in his first game contributing to a Houston win. If he continues to hit well with Springer already doing well that lineup is quite different from the one that started the season. And the near term future of that team is a little brighter.

My Rangers will not only need to get healthy and stay that way but may need to step up their game with no weaklings left in division to pick on regularly.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx