Forum Format Question

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

l.strether

Forum Format Question

PostFri Apr 04, 2014 8:36 pm

When responding to another person's post that you're quoting, how do you break his post into separate quotes you can address separately?

Ninersphan

Re: Forum Format Question

PostFri Apr 04, 2014 11:19 pm

l.strether wrote:When responding to another person's post that you're quoting, how do you break his post into separate quotes you can address separately?

Instead of using the quote button, like i just did for your post, copy, reply in the thread, paste, then highlight each passage you want to quote and use the quote button above your post.

It'll look like this:

When responding to another person's

post that you're quoting,

how do you break his post into separate

NAME wrote:quotes you can address separately?

If you want to add their names as part of the quote simply type =" NAME" after the word quote in the front quote braket for each quotation, like I did in the last one. It'll look like this: [quote="NAME"]

Hope that isn't to confusing

l.strether

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks for the help, Ninersphan, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "copy" and "paste," or how exactly you do those two things. Please give me some further explanation when you have the time.

Ninersphan

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:16 pm

l.strether wrote:Thanks for the help, Ninersphan, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "copy" and "paste," or how exactly you do those two things. Please give me some further explanation when you have the time.

Uhm you know basic copy and paste, (CNTL & C is copy, CNTL & V is paste, like in Word) that you can always do, to any text, at any time.

Here step by step:

1. highlight the text you want to copy/quote by clicking with your mouse at the front and dragging across the text until it's all highlighted.

2 With the text highlighted, hit the CTRL and C keys together to copy the text into your computers clipboard or again with the text highlighted, you can right click to open the menu and select Copy.

3. Hit the POST REPLY button at the bottom of the thread you are in to open the reply box.

4. Hit the CTRL and V keys at the same time to paste the text from the clipboard into the reply box or, right click in the replay box to open the menu and select paste.

5. Highlight the first part of the text you want to quote, just like you did when you copied it, but this time, only the part for your first response.

6. With the text highlighted, hit the QUOTE button right above the reply box (it's next to the u and the Code button.) Your highlighted text will now have the {quote} brackets at the beginning and end of the text you highlighted.

7. Type your response after the {/quote} command Your response will now have broken the entire copied text into one part in a quote box and the rest not quoted.

8. Hit the RETURN button to bring the next portion of your copied text to the left justified position in the reply box.

Repeat steps 5-8 until you've quoted everything you want.

I'm not sure I can explain it any more fully than that short of posting a video of my keystrokes.

When you are done, hit the preview button under the reply box to see what it will look like, and make changes if you need to.

Of course all of this is if you are using a PC if you are on a MAC I have no clue how to help you.
Last edited by Ninersphan on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Pav

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:26 pm

When you click the quote box on somebody's post, the entire post gets pasted into the draft box you're typing in. It will look like this:

*quote="l.strether"*When responding to another person's post that you're quoting, how do you break his post into separate quotes you can address separately?*/quote*

I had to change the brackets [...] to * so you can see what you see in the draft box you're typing in (if I used the brackets, the program reads it as code and you can't see behind the curtain. It'll just show up as this:

l.strether wrote:When responding to another person's post that you're quoting, how do you break his post into separate quotes you can address separately?

I find using the "Quote Box" above the draft box awkward (it's just a generic code for quotes with no name in it). What Ninersphan is saying is that you start each paragraph with *quote="l.strether"* (actually the name will be the person whose post you are quoting) and you end each paragraph with */quote*. Then you just hit enter to drop down a space or two and you can type between the quotes because you're still in the draft version of your own post.

What he meant by copy and paste is that you can just hold down the left click over *quote="l.strether"* to highlight it, right click to copy it, then right click again to paste it in the front of every paragraph. Then do the same with the back quote (i.e. */quote*), highlight it, copy it and click paste at the end of every paragraph.

Make sure you preview it before you send it, because the preview box will correctly show your post in its finished state. If you missed copying a single bracket, you'll see it there before you send it.

Consider this an olive branch from our other thread. I really didn't intend for it to be personal, only a little exaggerated satire and hyperbole. The problem with a white box on a screen is how emotionless it is. When you can't gauge the emotions in a conversation, it's too easy to run off the rails. I'm as guilty as the next person, but I'm always trying to be better. Apologies again.

J-Pav

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Oops. Niner beat me to it while I was typing!

Thx Ninersphan! :lol:

Ninersphan

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:36 pm

J-Pav wrote:Oops. Niner beat me to it while I was typing!

Thx Ninersphan! :lol:

Uh no problem, and after seeing your post I went to the other thread to see what the discussion was about that prompted the request in the first place.

Lets just say if, for some odd reason, I ever need to write another essay for college credit (very doubtful at my age, but you never know), I'll be running it by the two of you.

In fact, after reading the exchange, I think I want my teenage daughter to read it to prep for her SAT next year. :lol: ;)

J-Pav

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

LOL! :lol:

There should be a "two syllables or less" rule on these boards, though! :ugeek:

l.strether

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 pm

J-Pav wrote:Consider this an olive branch from our other thread. I really didn't intend for it to be personal, only a little exaggerated satire and hyperbole. The problem with a white box on a screen is how emotionless it is. When you can't gauge the emotions in a conversation, it's too easy to run off the rails. I'm as guilty as the next person, but I'm always trying to be better. Apologies again.

Thanks to the both of you for taking the time out to help me and my resilient computer illiteracy. And your olive branch is definitely accepted, J-Pav. As i said in that thread, I truly enjoyed our discussion and i'm sure your intentions were jest and not malice.

Ninersphan

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 7:36 pm

l.strether wrote:
J-Pav wrote:Consider this an olive branch from our other thread. I really didn't intend for it to be personal, only a little exaggerated satire and hyperbole. The problem with a white box on a screen is how emotionless it is. When you can't gauge the emotions in a conversation, it's too easy to run off the rails. I'm as guilty as the next person, but I'm always trying to be better. Apologies again.

Thanks to the both of you for taking the time out to help me and my resilient computer illiteracy. And your olive branch is definitely accepted, J-Pav. As i said in that thread, I truly enjoyed our discussion and i'm sure your intentions were jest and not malice.

You are welcome, just let me know if you understood my post and was able to actually put what i wrote in to practice. ;)

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx