Pulling My Hair Out - Please Help

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

SGTD

Re: Pulling My Hair Out - Please Help

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Tony, if you can figure it out let me know. My team cannot hit LHP :shock: . Thought they would light them up. SGT D

SGTD

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Tony, did you click on "Sim Mich" that shows clutch? SGT D

ScumbyJr

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 8:41 pm

BigTonyMiles wrote:Here is the link to the league stats by team - middle of everything. Look at the hits to HR percentage on my pitchers and I play in Target. The overall numbers are way, way better than the record. It has to be unclutch hitting and pitching - those are the only items I can think of.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... ams/348754

Your clutch is 1 hit and 6 outs. Very minor. The pitcher/hitters roll counts are slightly biased against you, but again nothing drastic. So I would say simply bad luck. I had a 2011 team in a 24 team league that killed statistically-hitting,pitching, and fielding. A huge +run differential, but finished under .500-it happens

ScumbyJr

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 pm

SGTD wrote:http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1126414

This is my team at Target Field. We have unique stadiums and this is our largest salaried teams followed by AL only players and then NL only players. This team cannot hit LHP and I am at a loss as well. SGT D

Well you have both Rollins and Phillips who can't hit anybody. Plus Choo who is all RHP. The problem is Donaldson who SHOULD be killing LHP. Despite the roll count being pretty even he has only 3 doubles in 71 Ab against LHP. BAD LUCK. If it were me I would stick with him expect this to even out the rest of the season. You are at .500 and not in deep trouble.

BigTonyMiles

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 9:06 pm

The clutch numbers are just clutch hits and outs - I could be hitting .185 with runners in scoring position (that would explain a lot). It's part of the computer stat printout, wonder why it hasn't migrated to the online version. I just can't take losing in the fashion I am losing, never seen anything like it. But thanks for the expertise, it does help.

Radagast Brown

PostThu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm

I could not agree more with Jeep and others who describe leagues with no salary cap (or a really high cap, over 100 million) as a complete crap shoot with far less strategy involved. As one other poster said, " I stay far away from those leagues".... Sorry to repeat what you have already read, and sorry I can not help you more, but I will point out that if you had never had a losing team you were kind of due for at least one. Sometimes it really is just bad luck or bad rolls. Your team looks just fine to me, but again I have no idea what a non salary cap team should look like. Sometimes you just have to take your lumps and get back to your winning ways with your next team. I like that you have not given up, crazy things can and do happen, who knows maybe you will go on a 20 game win streak. The best I can do is wish you luck with this team and your next. Even the Yankees have off years occasionally. Don't pull your hair out, it is not your fault.

rburgh

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Contributing factors, to my way of thinking:

You are in Target field, with 3 of your 6 starters LH and your two highest salaried hitters LH.

You have only 3 hitters with balance ratings farther right than 1R (Cano, A-Jax, and Ramiro Pena). Two of them hit left-handed against RHP, not the best plan in your ballpark, and the 3rd has only 18 AB through 114 games.

You are giving regular AB's to Wil Venable, who is a LH bat better against LHP. But you are seeing about 2 1/2 x as many RHP as LHP. This is, in general, sapping your whole lineup of considerable value - You think your platoon of 8R Pena and 3L Arenado is a righty-killing machine, but actually Arenado has more on-base chances and more XBH chances against lefties than Pena does against righties. So, rather than a net of 5R from your 3B platoon, it is more like E or 1L.

Run scoring in 2013 was way down from previous years, which means that teams constructed with cannon bullpens and weakish rotations are no longer so easily able to overcome a bad outing from your starter. This is consistent with a + run differential but a losing record.

Radagast Brown

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 9:36 pm

If money is no object I don't understand why you only have 10 pitchers. I guess your bullpen is not the problem but I don't think it could hurt to have two extra relievers, one extreme lefty and one extreme right handed reliever.

tcochran

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 pm

I agree with others that high-cap one-off leagues do not seem appealing. I play mainly in $200 mil keepers, but there are always strict limits on the players we can use in a given season. There's no way we could swap out 15 guys!

We have an opening in one of my leagues right now. Join us and try it out:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=635495
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx