Pickoffs

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BlackFinn

Pickoffs

PostSun May 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Can someone explain the process that goes into determining pickoffs? I have seen what seems to be an extreme amount of pickoffs in my games. I've never played the CD game so I don't know the specifics. Thanks for your explanations.

STEVE F

Re: Pickoffs

PostSun May 05, 2013 1:28 pm

copied from the super advanced game rules:

Balk/Pickoff Rule

If a dice roll of 1 or 2 is rolled on the 20-sided die, during a steal attempt the pitcher has attempted a pickoff throw and the base runner dives back to the base.

A roll of 1 on the 20-sided die indicates that the baserunner attempting the lead may be picked-off. Refer to the baserunner's second steal rating number in parenthesis and roll the 20-sided die again. If the number rolled is less than or equal to the second steal rating the baserunner dives back safely (the steal attempt is canceled and the runner may not attempt to get the good lead again while still on this base). If the number is greater than the second steal rating then this baserunner is picked off.

A roll of 2 on the 20-sided die indicates a possible balk. Roll the 20-sided die again and refer to the pitcher's balk rating, If the number rolled is less than or equal to the balk rating then a balk has occurred and all baserunners advance 1 base. If the number is higher than the pitcher's balk rating then the baserunner dives back safely (the steal attempt is canceled and the runner may not attempt to get the lead again while still on this base).

NOTE: At first at base, if the runner dives back safely, he may still steal using his second steal rating number. At second base, if the runner dives back safely, be may NOT steal.

BlackFinn

PostSun May 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks Steve. So getting three guys picked off in one game is just bad luck? LOL

STEVE F

PostSun May 05, 2013 2:23 pm

sounds like it. otoh, i wouldnt be trying for leads with guys who have automatic caught stealing numbers and bad running rating

gbrookes

PostSun May 05, 2013 2:41 pm

STEVE F wrote:sounds like it. otoh, i wouldnt be trying for leads with guys who have automatic caught stealing numbers and bad running rating

Yeah- and the game stats don't accumulate statistics for pickoffs during a season. They hurt when they happen. That's another reason why you want to shoot for a high % of success for stealing bases - because you have to "cover" the effect of being "caught stealing", but also pickoffs as well! (And I LOVE stealing bases).

To expand on the strategy on this-

-if you are facing a team that doesn't present particularly good chances to steal, I will often click on "don't steal" for players that are not prolific base stealers - i.e. players that don't have an * for stealing, and players that have low second steal ratings. Why? To reduce the ratio of pickoffs to stolen bases. Players who have low second steal ratings will get picked off more often, but they don't steal that much. Not a good combination. If the opposing team presents a good base stealing opportunity, then I will uncheck the "don't steal" box. But mostly I keep those marginal stealers under wraps, and use them to embarass the "Brian Sanches" cards in the strat world (2011 card, +9).

-I think there are a few base stealing strategy styles out there. I think there maybe some good discussions on this in the strategy thread affixed to the top of this board.

-So far, my strategy has been to leave the team setting at "normal", and simply leave the **better** stealers' boxes completely unchecked. Basically, I trust HAL to make good base stealing decisions. HAL does try to steal third way more than most managers would, but otherwise he makes pretty good decisions. I decided that HAL's obsession with third base is something that I am prepared to live with.

-Other managers choose to set the team setting to "conservative" for this reason (i.e. stealing third too often), and perhaps check some better stealers to "steal more" on the individual setting.

-For other marginal or poor stealers, I will check them as don't steal most of the time.

I think most managers agree that your goal for successful steals should be about 70% or better, and certainly no worse than 2:1. I find that my strategy works for this, and I think that the other strategy probably works well for this too, from what I've seen for other managers.

But re pickoffs, I think the best solution is to keep the marginal stealers from trying - unless the pitcher refuses to look at them at all!
:)
Geoff

BlackFinn

PostSun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks Geoff. My stealing has been good all season (81%), Suzuki and Ciriaco were the players picked off. I'll just chalk it up to bad luck. The pickoffs stand out more when you lose by one and a pickoff is prior to a HR.

Radagast Brown

PostMon May 06, 2013 3:57 pm

It is just part of the game. ..... Do pick offs count as a caught steeling against the base runner?

gbrookes

PostMon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:It is just part of the game. ..... Do pick offs count as a caught steeling against the base runner?

I don't think so.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx