One Catcher????

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

LMBombers

Re: One Catcher????

PostSun May 05, 2013 5:07 am

STEVE F wrote:My main comment is in regards to Pacheco in general. What purpose does he serve as a back up catcher? he doesn't hit enough to play 1b and doesn't hit enough to outway his horrible D at 3b. So what do you have, a 2.87 bench player?

I have to disagree about Pacheco. He is too good a hitter to only platoon vs lefties. On the below team he is my starting DH and backup 1B and 3B. I would keep him away from behind the plate if possible. He has plenty of XBH on both sides of his card.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1025705

If you use the strategy of not drafting two primary catchers and going for someone like Pacheco you better also draft a 50¢ primary C just in case you don't get Pacheco. In this situation you are screwed in waivers unless you can trade for a cheap C prior to waivers. Now you will get no players in waivers unless your first pick is for a C. If you had a 50¢ C as well as Pacheco at this point you could drop that 50¢ C either prior to waivers or during if you want Pacheco as your backup C. There is nothing that SOM can do for you to fix this. They won't arbitrarily just give you a player outside of waivers or free agency.

fw4419

PostSun May 05, 2013 9:27 am

Regarding Pacheco I will respectfully disagree, I believe he is quite valuable fulfilling the 2nd catcher spot. I use him as my DH vs. lefties, ph off the bench vs lefties and when injuries hit he's not the worst option at first or third.

milleram

PostSun May 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I think it is an opportunity for SoM to fix a minor drafting bug--just to require two primary catchers on the draft list--I'll admit this is my first month playing online--mostly posted this to warn others as I can't even drop a player at the moment. SO---make sure you draft two primary catchers.

geekor

PostMon May 06, 2013 10:56 am

actually I had a beta team (a long time ago) where that happened to me, but the rest of my team was perfect. So I rolled with 1 catcher all season, it was nice knowing I would never have an injury there, lol.

Radagast Brown

PostMon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I think it is borderline cheating to go through the whole season (or even part of it) with one BULLET PROOF catcher. I understand there is a bug in the system when it comes to players who can catch but it is not their primary position, and I don't think it is that big of a deal. But I would be a little salty if someone in my league used this loophole to only have one catcher that could never get hurt.

Also, I agree with the fellas that say Pacheco's card is nice, especially for the price. I almost drafted him in my most recent league but at the last minute I realized this exact situation could occur and I did not want to tempt myself with only using one catcher.

geekor

PostMon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm

dude, chill, did you read "beta team" i.e. beta test league that has no bearings on the real games. Yes it would not let me make a single transaction, but the team was good enough, as it was beta, so who cares if it lost (the team was under .500). I was just to see if the Catcher ever got hurt, and it did not.

ClowntimeIsOver

PostMon May 06, 2013 11:19 pm

"I think it is an opportunity for SoM to fix a minor drafting bug"

with respect, I completely disagree

the game rules are clear: draft a guy and don't get him, you get somebody else at his primary position -- there's nothing ambiguous about this, any more than getting a non-starred pitcher when you drafted four 4-game starters

in other words, in no sense is it a bug -- it's a simple and clear rule

anyone who's played this game for a while knows that if you draft a catcher whose primary position is not catcher, you run the risk of being forced to make your first waivers claim for a catcher -- it's just one of the interesting trade-offs in the game

as for having only one catcher, that's only possible if you compromise by picking nobody on waivers, and if you never make a trade or roster move without the FIRST MOVE being to get a second catcher -- good luck with that, I have no problem with it

Michael Grammes

PostTue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm

I see this as a challenge now. I could totally draft a team with 1 catcher, make no transactions all season, and be competitive, if not the wild card. I have no doubts in this. The only way to make this possible tho, is for a league of 11 other managers, to agree to list pacheo first on the draft card.

Is there 11 other takers for this concept? The concept of me kicking everyones arse with making no transactions all season long?

geekor

PostWed May 08, 2013 11:59 am

Michael Grammes wrote:I see this as a challenge now. I could totally draft a team with 1 catcher, make no transactions all season, and be competitive, if not the wild card. I have no doubts in this. The only way to make this possible tho, is for a league of 11 other managers, to agree to list pacheo first on the draft card.

Is there 11 other takers for this concept? The concept of me kicking everyones arse with making no transactions all season long?

well of course knowing everyone else lists pacheo first would help you have a good draft. You put him 25th and everyone else put him 24th see if you still feel that way :P

STEVE F

PostWed May 08, 2013 12:23 pm

why would anyone WANT to?
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx