why not 60 million?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tony best

why not 60 million?

PostSat May 04, 2013 6:48 am

My track record in $60 million is terrible so I am hesitant to join one but why are others so hesitant?

It would seem that they are more realistic. It would also seem that less luck is involved as fewer conflicts should
occur on draft lists. Also more skill comes into play as post draft there are more varied types of players to choose from in final team build.

Perhaps its because since no one else signs up I wont either as they fill so slowly, Perhaps $80 mil and higher just seems easier.

Thoughts??

Well, I plan to sign up for them. Lets start to become closer to REAL general managers!!

gbrookes

Re: why not 60 million?

PostSat May 04, 2013 10:10 am

I also like the $60 million format A LOT, for the same reasons. I really like 24 team $60 mill caps, since it seems most true to life.

Actually, I did a rough calculation when the 24 team leagues first came out, where I estimated the total salaries for the entire card set. I divided that number by the number of major league teams. My estimate of a real life team's salary total from that was about $70 million. At the time, you couldn't do a $70 mil cap league, but you can now! So I'd like to try that sometime.

But I think (and many others, I believe) that $60 mil works better than $80 mil for a 24 team league. At $80 mil, there are too few players left in the free agent pool, and the league rosters tend to get frozen at a certain point. Then you really have to work hard to make a trade if you want to make changes to your team. But I also think that some managers prefer $80 million 24 team leagues for the same reasons. I would like to try $70 million sometime, but I prefer $60 mil to $80 mil.

In terms of the leagues filling slowly, my guess is that some players might feel like their plates are full with their keeper leagues just at the moment. I think we're seeing the "standard" 12 team $80 mil leagues fill up fairly quickly, but the other non-standard leagues are filling more slowly right now. I think that they will start to fill up more quickly soon, as the keeper leagues are getting established now.

The other thing that I have seen in the past with 24 team leagues is that it has hard to get that initial momentum to get the league filling up. But once you get about 8 managers in the league, then the momentum starts to build, and it tends to fill up more quickly after that.

I really like 24 team leagues, so I will be joining. I just bought a 5 team pack, and I'll be sprinkling it over the 24 team league that you are in, the 1999 league, and a 2008 league. Once we get a few managers into the 24 team league, it will start to fill.

:)
Geoff

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx