How in the WORLD Do I Get Strat to Pinch Hit?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

bleacher_creature

How in the WORLD Do I Get Strat to Pinch Hit?

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

In the words of Lou Piniella, "I get tired of seeing the same ____ _____ things every night."

In this case I get tired of watching the engine not pinch hit. All the right things are checked, I have the bench depth etc... But the engine simply won't make the moves unless it's like a tied score late in the game.

Tired of watching it. We shoulld be offered better pinch hitting control IMO.

Okay I'm done now. Thank you for reading this (small) tirade...

8-)

-Sean

Valen

Re: How in the WORLD Do I Get Strat to Pinch Hit?

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm

I have the bench depth

Irrelevant in this context. The bench depth in the lineups is only used for determining lineup at beginning of game. After that it is never referenced.

The only setting we have that I am aware of is the pinch hitter verses left and verses right in the team strategy page.

Chompsky

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 6:31 pm

I get about a 50% success rate with HAL pinch hitting correctly. HAL will often ignore my settings of who I want to pinch hit against LHP and who I want to pinch hit againt RHP.

But at least that works 50% of the time. I get about a 10% functionality with my do not hit against RHP and do not hit against LHP. Which makes me use platoons much less. (I'm ok with that now that I know. It was just hard at first to figure out -- I thought I was doing something wrong at first).

What does work pretty well is the remove for defense settings.

I'd be curious if other folks agree with these assessments...

Valen

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 am

My experience so far is the defensive settings do not work near as well as they did on the TSN site.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

I play a lot of SOM baseball on the CD-ROM and I have noticed that the computer managers (or what some people call ,"Hal") will not pinch hit unless it is late in the game. In defense of this I would say that the computer does not want you to run out of players if injuries occur or the game goes into extra innings. Also, in reality managers rarely pinch hit before the 7th or 8th innings.

I like to roll with platoons about as much as anyone and this can be tough if Hal won't pinch hit for your 8R or 6L hitter once the oppostion's pitcher has been changed. It is just something we all have to deal with. I would like to see larger rosters and more pinch hitting, maybe someday the computer manager programing will be tweaked to deal with this issue.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx