This Game is Still a Joke. An Apology.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

coyote303

Re: This Game is Still a Joke. An Apology.

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 12:06 am

SGTD wrote:...I know there is a law of average, but all of my hitters are under-performing. It is a little frustrating. SGT D

But my point is that they are not under-performing except for perhaps Walker and--in limited at bats--Victorino. Furthermore, Jeter and Gordon, by hitting right at their real-life averages, are actually significantly over-performing.

The total WHIP for the major leagues in 2012 was 1.30. Look at the real-life WHIP for your own starters: 1.02, 1.14, 1.12, 1.16, and 1.17. About the only way to partially compensate for the upgraded pitching your hitters face would be to play in Coors Field.

Now let's look at your hitters. You have exactly one batter whose real-life average is right at the major league average of .255. Everyone else is significantly above that. What chance do pitchers in your league have? Hitters can be expected to hit significantly below their real-life averages and pitchers will pitch worse. However, the results are realistic reflection of what would happen if you had a real-life 12-team league with these same players.

SGTD

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 9:24 am

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/821858

So if my team is a strat norm then what is this other team in my league that has the best record? Guy's exceeding their real stats in 60 games? RP's throwing more than SP's? RP's doubling their real stats IP (Real-31 IP, Valdes) (Strat- 61.1 IP and counting, Valdes)? SGT D

coyote303

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 am

SGTD wrote:So if my team is a strat norm then what is this other team in my league that has the best record? Guy's exceeding their real stats in 60 games? RP's throwing more than SP's? RP's doubling their real stats IP (Real-31 IP, Valdes) (Strat- 61.1 IP and counting, Valdes)? SGT D

Overall, I agree that their hitters are doing better than you're team--one reason why they are in first place. However, while they have several hitters doing quite well, they also have some batters doing absolutely awful. Their team batting average is only .250.

Now, as far as usage is concerned, you won't find any realism in online SOM baseball. There are no restrictions on usage, and strong relief pitchers especially get abused. One of the weakest aspects of the game is pitchers don't fatigue realistically from game to game to game. In face-to-face leagues, usage limits are often used. However, such restrictions would not work well in an online league that offers a pool of available free agents.

There is a silver lining to having a severely under-performing player. Chances are his performance will improve (no guarantees, though!) and hopefully your team's performance will improve along with him.

SGTD

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm

I am hoping that my players turn it around. As for the RP's, I have no idea how to manipulate the settings as some do so they can get their SP's out after a few innings and then get in the RP's who can throw around 4-7 innings a game. I do wish there where a fatigue setting for the pitchers. I wish all the SP's had NO * and had to have 4-days rest like in real baseball. SGT D

STEVE F

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Last night my team is ahead 2-1 and Dickey has allowed 1 hit and 1 unearned run going to the 9th and HAL takes him out. Nathan implodes. I get that it's a closer situation but why would anyone take out an ace starter pitching a 1 hitter??

Radagast Brown

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Who is to say today's relief pitchers could not pitch 160 or more innings? As recently as the 1980s guys pitched considerable more innings. But when you are paying most guys several million dollars per year, you tend to be over careful with their arms...

As far as computer Hal taking R.A. Dickey out, that will happen, even in real life.

the ghost of roger maris

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:Who is to say today's relief pitchers could not pitch 160 or more innings? As recently as the 1980s guys pitched considerable more innings. But when you are paying most guys several million dollars per year, you tend to be over careful with their arms...

As far as computer Hal taking R.A. Dickey out, that will happen, even in real life.

He probably had a blister or the catcher was exhausted from chasing the flutterballs :lol:
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

Valen

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 pm

I get that it's a closer situation but why would anyone take out an ace starter pitching a 1 hitter??

Good question. You might start by asking these real life managers why they removed pitchers with 0 hits allowed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/4922/kevin-slowey-removed-from-no-hitter

http://www.nonohitters.com/pulled-during-a-no-hitter

LMBombers

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 6:54 pm

STEVEFREDIANI wrote:Last night my team is ahead 2-1 and Dickey has allowed 1 hit and 1 unearned run going to the 9th and HAL takes him out. Nathan implodes. I get that it's a closer situation but why would anyone take out an ace starter pitching a 1 hitter??

What if Nathan got them out 1-2-3? Then that would have been a good move by HAL. What if Dickey imploded in the 9th and then you ask why didn't HAL bring in my closer in the 9th to close the game out? It is not necessarily a bad move to bring in your closer who is "fresh" to do what you are paying him to do.

SGTD

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Who is to say today's relief pitchers could not pitch 160 or more innings? As recently as the 1980s guys pitched considerable more innings. But when you are paying most guys several million dollars per year, you tend to be over careful with their arms... By Rad Brown

That's like saying...If worms had machine gun's, would birds f**k with them? :D

You are lucky to get a SP with 230+ IP and all SP's should not have an * as that has gone away with all of the coddling. :cry:

I could care less if the RP's throw that many innings as long as the fatigue settings are on. Can anyone verify that the setting is on or off for all leagues? :o SGT D
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx