This Game is Still a Joke. An Apology.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

the ghost of roger maris

Re: This Game is Still a Joke

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 1:53 pm

gbrookes wrote:
buddyshouse1 wrote:I would like to have that paper by DEANTSC if you would email it to me at buddyshouse@comcast.net it would be appreciated. BTW I am presently playing my 5th season have never made the playoffs but still having hella fun. I used to play the board game as a kid in the 70's. I seem to be getting a little better each season the highlight of my playing was 11 game winning streak. :P

I'll do that from my laptop on Tuesday.

post it for all
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

geekor

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm

The game still has a lot of things that would never happen if you played face to face, I will give you that (like stealing third WAY too much).

The biggest joke is the Email from Hal Richman. Your biggest accomplishments are the ones that happened right at the switch, nothing to say what's really been done over the last 10 months.

Numbers are down so let's try to get people back, bleh :roll:

ROBERTVOZZA

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm

I would hope that after reading this thread in the great detail it has responded, that you might reconsider leaving. Of course, the choice is all yours. I believe everything has probably been covered already, but I'd just like to add 1 more point - As long as the rules are the same for everyone, the game is fair for everyone. But as much as it is a game of probability and statistics, it is also a game where you have unlimited CHOICES to counter what you may feel doesn't work.

There are minor flaws in this game as well as all games. But the attention to detail, the incredible level of competition that exists here and the great intellect and openness of the players willing to share their own secrets are just some of the things that make this one of the greatest games I have ever played. GL either way. And I wish you well. But I hope to see you here again in the future. Sincerely, Robert ;)

boyer14

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 am

Dean's analysis of fielding can be found here: http://www.mfooz.com/bblog/wp-content/u ... efense.pdf

gbrookes

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 am

boyer14 wrote:Dean's analysis of fielding can be found here: http://www.mfooz.com/bblog/wp-content/u ... efense.pdf

Thanks boyer!

I would have posted it for all, but I am a little technologically challenged. I already tried to do that once before, without success. Thank boyer!

BlackFinn

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 10:28 pm

I am offering an apology to all that I might of upset.
I have to admit, as someone pointed out, I was making an emotional post. I was in the midst of a 7 game losing streak.
The reason I said Def. was overrated is it seemed my 1's were allowing base hits at inopportune times that ended up costing me games.
As for the person that said I don't understand SOM baseball. I've been playing FTF for over 30 years and I'm just frustrated with some of HAL's decisions, i.e. not pinch hitting in obvious situations, sending "sludge" runners, bringing in relievers for no reason. All that said, I won't be leaving quite yet. My team made the Finals.

SGTD

Re: This Game is Still a Joke. An Apology.

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 4:39 am

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/821808

Can someone explain this team? We lived drafted and drafted unique stadiums. I went with a 5-man rotation, quality RP's went with high BA, OBP, some pop and good defense. I have my whole line-up hitting major points below actual and my SP's have been a joke except for Kershaw and CC. I am hoping that the numbers start to balance out. SGT D

tony best

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 6:43 am

SGTD
I think you should be at 30-27. Straburg and Cueto are underperforming but part of that might be Jeter at SS and Aoki in CF and Victorino is sucking.(are you platooning in CF?) Teams are probably running on your catchers a lot.

With that solid SP I would lower my fatigue levels as for a live league your bull pen is not very good.I would set my usage at conservative and slo the SP.

This is a solid team, would be better in a draft league.Usually in a live league some teams just are really good and I think these teams will dominate you. It has play off potential but only margionally I am thinking you will be fighting to stay around .500 most of the year but could win a weak division or get a wild card.

coyote303

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 1:44 pm

SGTD wrote:http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/821808

Can someone explain this team? We lived drafted and drafted unique stadiums. I went with a 5-man rotation, quality RP's went with high BA, OBP, some pop and good defense. I have my whole line-up hitting major points below actual and my SP's have been a joke except for Kershaw and CC. I am hoping that the numbers start to balance out. SGT D

Even in an $80 million league, on average hitters and pitchers will perform worse than "expected." In a $100 million league (which you are in), this effect will be significantly increased. It's mathematically impossible for players on average to achieve comparable results to what they actually did when the level of talent is so much higher than they faced in real life.

I know I'm in the minority, but that's why I prefer $60 million dollar leagues. You don't get as many stars on your team, but all your players can be expected to perform much closer to their real-life results.

PS. Not pitching Kershaw every four days is a waste.

SGTD

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 6:39 pm

I am platooning CF with Vic as a def sub. I have Kershaw set to go every 3 days right now. I know there is a law of average, but all of my hitters are under-performing. It is a little frustrating. SGT D
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx