Early MLB predictions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Early MLB predictions

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am

Spring training games begin Friday. At least they do for my Rangers. :D I always look for to this time of year when baseball returns to my television set.

I know a lot can happen in spring training to alter what we all expect. But thought we might discuss our early predictions for the season to pass some time while we wait on the next installment of the 20xx game with the new cards.

I have not broke down all the divisions. But I am ready to pick Blue Jays for AL east. The AL west I think will be a dogfight between Angels, Rangers, and As. I like the Angels lineup. I like the youth of the As and pitching/hitting balance. And barring injuries I like the rotation of the Rangers. That division may come down to whomever can stay healthy.

Team I know the most about is the Rangers so will spotlight them. I think this is the year Holland breaks out. And I think Darvish pitches all year like he did last couple months. Ogando reprises his 2011 campaign except this time around a more experienced pitcher does not fade toward the end. Harrison has a third straight solid year to solidify himself as one of the games top leftys. All 4 notch around 200 or more innings. The #5 slot starts out with Perez but season finishes with Perez in AAA and Lewis back in rotation.

Come on guys let's get some life in these forums and talk some baseball.

Valen

Re: Early MLB predictions

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 11:54 am

Hard to resist getting swept up in what happened in LA this winter. Easy to predict Dodgers return to glory. But I am a believer in pitching and that Giant staff has proven itself. If Lincecum bounces back with everything else they got chances of repeat are good. So tossup and riding the fence but think in the end I fall to Dodgers side with my prediction for NL west.

Reds were good last year with Votto injury. With Chapman in rotation and health have to put them early odds on favorite in NL central.

Tigers are team to beat in AL central, especially with return of Martinez.

I like what Atlanta did in the offseason. But with a more experienced Harper and no distraction of an inning limit on Strasberg going with the Nationals for the NL east but could easily be swayed the other way.

keyzick

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 pm

AL Predictions:

I'm going with the Blue Jays coming out of the East, Tigers in the Central, Angels in the West...and the Mariners, yes you heard it here first, as a Wildcard, along with the White Sox. I counted the Rangers out since I think they're heading towards one of their more typical seasons, prior to their recent success - meaning I see them being in the hunt all year until a late season fade. I think the Angels have had a year to gel, plus the addition of Hamilton will be huge, so I'm seeing them facing off with the Blue Jays in the ALCS, with the Blue Jays ultimately heading to the World Series. They were a very good team last year, and really loaded up with the addition of guys like Reyes and Josh Johnson, in an Eastern Division that isn't as tough as years past.

MVP: Albert Pujols
Cy Young: Brandon Morrow

On a side note - I hope I'm wrong, because I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan!!

NL Predictions

Nationals in the East, Reds in the Central, Giants in the West, with the Dodgers and Brewers as the Wildcards. I think the Reds and Nationals will square off in the NLCS, with the Reds heading to the World Series to face the Blue Jays. The addition of Choo to the outfield and leadoff spot with the Reds will be key...

MVP: Joey Votto
Cy Young: Matt Cain

World Series Winner: Toronto Blue Jays

l.strether

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 am

AL Predictions:

East: Blue Jays Central: Tigers West: Rangers Wild Card: Angels and A's
MVP: Albert Pujols Cy Young: Felix Hernandez ROTY: Dylan Bundy

Rangers defeat Blue Jays

NL Predctions:
East: Nationals Central: Cardinals West: Giants Wild Card: Braves and Reds
MVP: Jason Heyward Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw ROTY: Gerrit Cole

Nationals defeat Braves

World Series: Nationals in 6
Last edited by l.strether on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keyzick

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 am

...don't forget there's 2 wildcards per league that square off in a 1-game play-in

Ninersphan

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am

The Mets will suck and I'll be looking forward to the Niners opening of Training camp about the time Syracuse's run ends in the NCAA tourney this year. :cry:

visick

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm

"The Mets will suck"

Forgot you also liked the Mets, but what happened to the good old fashioned Mets slogan and optimistic...
"Wait til next year"?

rudys raiders

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

visick he is sticking to that slogan and waiting til next year already just to beat the rush way wait for the season to start :mrgreen:

Now to my predictions

NL division winners: Nats, Reds, Dodgers
NL wildcard: Giants, Braves

NLCS: Dodgers over Nats

AL division winners: O's, Tigers, Angels
Al wildcard: Jays, A's

ALCS: Angels over O's

World series: Angels over Dodgers in 6

Ninersphan

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 pm

visick wrote:"The Mets will suck"

Forgot you also liked the Mets, but what happened to the good old fashioned Mets slogan and optimistic...
"Wait til next year"?

did you see Martino's tweet about the Mets intersqaud game today?

You can watch this intrasquad game for six bucks. That's a bargain; it's usually much more expensive to watch the Mets beat themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic. Gonna be a LONG year

Valen

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm

...and the Mariners

:shock:

I have the Mariners in 4th place. I think they just had too much ground to make up.

I would be surprised to see the Rangers fade late. If they are destined for a playoff missing season or a just plain bad season the collapse will happen early. They have a number of players who will not start the season but could/should contribute toward the end.

Colby Lewis will return at some point to take over the #5 spot in rotation. Feliz could make it back in August in time to provide an extra arm in the bullpen to give some others a rest and be eligible for postseason. If Cruz is suspended he will also be returning rested for the stretch run. Also, Profar and Olt will probably make midseason additions to the bench and help out if anyone is showing signs of fatigue. Soria will not start the season with team but should be arriving during the season. That will boost the bullpen like adding an arm at the trade deadline and he should be rested and less likely to be worn down by the heat of Texas.

They should also know by the trade deadline if Berkman is going to be heathy and whether the candidates for CF have stepped up or not. Expect some significant trade deadline activity to fill holes . By not biting on any of the bad trades available this winter they will be fully stocked and ready to deal.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx