Early MLB predictions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: Early MLB predictions

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Valem what do you think of Martin? Can he hit? Leonys.

RICHARDMILTER

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Here are my pre-season picks:

American League:
East: Toronto Blue Jays

Central: Detroit Tigers

West: California Angels

Wild Cards: Texas Rangers,
Cleveland Indians

National League
:
East: Washington Nationals

Central: Cincinnati Reds

West: Los Angeles Dodgers

Wild Cards: San Francisco Giants
Atlanta Braves

My sleeper pick is the Cleveland Indians who will be running wild like the 1985 St.Louis Cardinals.

Michael Grammes

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 am

I will not jump on the Jays band wagon... Too many teams, in too many sports, have tried to buy a playoff team, ask the yankees... Atleast not the first year anyway.

In the AL East, we ll go with the Rays with the Jays, a close 2nd
Central, the Tigers of course, and the Royals, being a huge underdog, come in a close 2nd also
The west, is the Angels to lose

MVP: Trout
Cy: Price

The NL I see something like this

East, hate to say it, the Phillies and Nats
Central, hmmm... Reds by atrition
West, Giants and Dodgers

MVP: Votto
Cy Strausburg

Wild cards: Jays, Royals and Nats, Dodgers
World Series Angles Dodgers, And the Dodgers winning it all.

Valen

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 1:16 am

Leonys Martin is either going to be a total flop or a superstar. I don't see a middle ground with him.

Put up some great numbers in minors. The times I have seen him in Arlington his bat is quick and when he makes contact the ball jumps off the bat. With good speed and the line drives he hits lots of potential for a lot of doubles. 2 triples and 6 doubles among his 11 hits.

Minor league numbers indicate he makes good contact but has struck out too much in his callups. Strikeout rate in small sample in Arlington is about twice what it was in minors. And looking at his stats the go/ao ration is a bit high. Suspect he might be pressing some, getting out in front and then rolling over on the ball. Or he may have someone in his head telling him to swing down and go for infield hits. But Rangers expect him to have some pop and those 2 are not complimentary. Or small sample size could just be nothing.

So if he can relax and let the talent take over could be something special. And I get the impression the Rangers brass really want him to be the CFer of the future and they want that future to be now. So he is odds on favorite to win the CF job. Now his fantasy numbers may suffer some because I suspect Gentry will start against most if not all LH pitchers.

Only thing that keeps him from making team is if Borbon shows up and demonstrates he is ready to be what they expected when he was made opening day starter a couple years back. He is out of options so if Martin struggles a little in spring and Borbon tears it up he might earn a platoon with Gentry. Based on what I am hearing Borbon will need to outplay the others to get kept but then again I think he is out of options. So a great spring could stall the future for Martin.

It is early but my bet is if Martin gives any indication he may be ready Borbon will get traded. I think if a team had an opening in LF they would be wise to talk Rangers out of him. Given a full time chance and in LF where his arm strength is not such a problem he could a .280 BA with 30 or so steals.

Valen

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 am

The big sleeper on the Rangers though may be Tanner Sheppars. Health problems ( his back I think ) have slowed his progress some. But he seems healthy now and he and Rangers seem comfortable with his role as a reliever. I think he will be a solid 7th inning guy this year and potential closer down the road.

coyote303

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am

Join a $100 million league. Only spend $60 million dollars. You will have a good idea how the Colorado Rockies should do (again).

2cityfan

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

AL East - Devil Rays (everyone forgets about them, and all they do is win
AL Central - Tigers (best of a weak division)
AL West - Angels
Wild Cards - Blue Jays and A's

AL champ - Devil Rays (my dark horse pick)

NL East - Phillies (return of the weez kids, + Lee, Hamels and Halladay all have good seasons, M. Young hits)
NL Central - Reds
NL West - Giants (great pitching and a healthy Posey)
Wild Cards - Washington, and LA Dodgers

NL champ - Phillies

world champ - Devil Rays get revenge from 2008 on the Phillies

Valen

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Tampa does seem to fly under the radar of a lot of people. Guilty but plead insanity. :lol:

But seriously, it is amazing how they seem to always have another young arm pushing their way on to the team. They don't spend like NY or LA, but someone there knows how to recognize talent. And Price just seems to keep improving and that quality at top of rotation has to help chances of a deep playoff run once they get there.

And with due respect to the old guard no longer impressed with Boston and every time I think about the yankees all I remember are the players they lost this year either to free agency or health. The Arod deal hangs like an anchor around their neck and Cano may be asking for same type deal.

But back to Tampa. Anyone live down that way able to give us scouting reports on the young kids they got this winter?
Any of them figure to be on team opening day?

Valen

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm

KC broke from tradition this winter and was trading prospects for established players. Anyone ready to jump on the Royals bandwagon?
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx