"Unleashed" players

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: "Unleashed" players

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm

fredpaii wrote:I can see it happening with Moss. Especially since he's never come close to those numbers before. Baerga surprises me. He was a known good hitter by that time, wasn't he?

Oh yeah, this was after his Cleveland playing days he was playing in a utility role for Arizona, he had not had numbers like that in a few years, but it was certanly after he had established it was possible

fredpaii wrote:Do we have any evidence that Strat will continue the Unleashed players? isn't that something born from the TSN group?

No and yes, so hard to say. But assuming Bernie is stall a part of things, here, and last we knew he was, I think it's safe to assume that there will be an unleashed set.

fredpaii

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Now you got me wondering about Kris Medlen.

chasenally

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm

fredpaii wrote:Now you got me wondering about Kris Medlen.

Should not be a problem for him. He had 12 starts 138IP. The pitchers cards don't seem to end up in unleashed as much as there are many good cards in the set every year. They won't sway the stats like a guy with 7HR's on his card.
Medlen and Moss went fast in the early drafts I was in. I took Moss in one and just missed him in our draft.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Ninersphan

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm

chasenally wrote:
fredpaii wrote:Now you got me wondering about Kris Medlen.

Should not be a problem for him. He had 12 starts 138IP. The pitchers cards don't seem to end up in unleashed as much as there are many good cards in the set every year. They won't sway the stats like a guy with 7HR's on his card.
Medlen and Moss went fast in the early drafts I was in. I took Moss in one and just missed him in our draft.

Totally agree with Chase, you shouldn't have any worries with Medlen.

Palmtana

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm

The average PA's for the 41 unleashed players in the 2009-2011 sets is 74. Only 4 had more than 100. De Aza's (165 PA's) exclusion last year caused a big hullabaloo on the boards. So unless there has been a sea change in criteria for unleashed cards Moss (265), Keppinger (409), Ruggiano (317) and Lucroy (388) will make it into the regular set.

Ninersphan

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Palmtana wrote:The average PA's for the 41 unleashed players in the 2009-2011 sets is 74. Only 4 had more than 100. De Aza's (165 PA's) exclusion last year caused a big hullabaloo on the boards. So unless there has been a sea change in criteria for unleashed cards Moss (265), Keppinger (409), Ruggiano (317) and Lucroy (388) will make it into the regular set.

It has nothing to do with plate appearances. if the card is too good, especially for a once in a lifetime type player, and all 4 of those guys fit that bill, they very well could exclude it based on the Baerga card in 2003.

Now that said, I agree with you except where it comes to Moss, I'm very leery of him maiking it into the regular set because he has such huge power numbers vs RHP. There seems to be an atitude from the powers that determine/test the cards, that God forbid someone who wasn't on the leader board in MLB for homeruns and/or slugging, lead a Strat league in those categories even though for the most part we're playing:

1. with virtual all-star lineups
2. starters that can go every 4th day when that has happened sinced the 80's
3. rp's that frequently go 150+ innings.
4. No limits on AB's or IP based on real world as you'll often find in FTF leagues

To have a guy like Moss lead in HR's just isn't realalistic :roll:

At least that's the only reason I can come up with for the arbitrary way it's decided who's in and who's unleashed.

And please don't misunderstand, I'm not asking for 4 items above to be changed. It just strikes me as arbitrary and incongruent to draw this imaginary line in the sand and exclude certian cards becuase someone thinks they are unrealistic.

Especailly when they have a remedy in the form of the salary cap, just price the dang thing's accordingly and leave 'em all in the regular set. ;)

YMMV

Palmtana

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Ninersphan wrote:Now that said, I agree with you except where it comes to Moss, I'm very leery of him maiking it into the regular set because he has such huge power numbers vs RHP. There seems to be an atitude from the powers that determine/test the cards, that God forbid someone who wasn't on the leader board in MLB for homeruns and/or slugging, lead a Strat league in those categories............To have a guy like Moss lead in HR's just isn't realalistic :roll:

I see your point. But then there is Giambi from the current set. 13 HR's in 148 PA's during the regular season. I looked at my 2011 leagues to see how he fared in the home run race.

1st - twice
2nd - twice
3rd - twice
5th - once
6th - once
7th - once (HR-L = 3)
10th - once (platoon)

So there is an argument for those keeper leaguer's who want to go after Moss.

On the other hand Giambi has a history that Moss lacks. And Moss's TB's vs. RHP (73) are 20+ more than any of the other top guys in last years HR derby (Pujols, Fielder and Bautista). Giambi had 58.

Hmm.....I hope I don't have a top pick in my KL drafts.

visick

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 am

I was also under the assumption that guys heavily slanted to a side, generally got a card in the regular set.

Ninersphan

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm

visick wrote:I was also under the assumption that guys heavily slanted to a side, generally got a card in the regular set.

You are generaly right but only if the heavily slanted to one side, means the weaker side is unplayable, but that isn't the case with Moss's card. You won't be sitting him vs. LHP with a 32.3 hit count and 40.4 OB count, a 43.8 total base count, 3.2 points of clean HR's and 6 points of BP hr's.

The only guy I'm more sure of getting into the unleashed set is Kozma. Moss's card scares the holy hell out of me, if I'm counting on it in the regular set to fill in a spot in my lineup. You'd better have a plan B.

edub1969

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Ninersphan wrote:
visick wrote:I was also under the assumption that guys heavily slanted to a side, generally got a card in the regular set.

You are generaly right but only if the heavily slanted to one side, means the weaker side is unplayable, but that isn't the case with Moss's card. You won't be sitting him vs. LHP with a 32.3 hit count and 40.4 OB count, a 43.8 total base count, 3.2 points of clean HR's and 6 points of BP hr's.

The only guy I'm more sure of getting into the unleashed set is Kozma. Moss's card scares the holy hell out of me, if I'm counting on it in the regular set to fill in a spot in my lineup. You'd better have a plan B.

Do you veteran guys of SOM think there's anyway Bernie would know ahead of time prior to the 2012 season being available online which players will be in the unleashed set?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx