First try at 2011, need help!!!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MrHacktastic

First try at 2011, need help!!!

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first venture outside of the 1986 season. I don't really know any sleepers or anything at all I guess about the 2011 set. Can you guys critique my roster and maybe through out a few tips for this game set? I would really appreciate it.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/808587

Miamial

Re: First try at 2011, need help!!!

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 pm

The good
1)Giambi will produce, but sometimes gets long injuries.
2) HAL loves Peavy (he actually pitched a perfect game for me).
3) Neal Walker solid 2B defense and offense-good choice.

The bad
1) Do you have a backup 3b?
2) Your team OBA will probably be very low. Runs could be a huge problem

MrHacktastic

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Miamial wrote:The good
1)Giambi will produce, but sometimes gets long injuries.
2) HAL loves Peavy (he actually pitched a perfect game for me).
3) Neal Walker solid 2B defense and offense-good choice.

The bad
1) Do you have a backup 3b?
2) Your team OBA will probably be very low. Runs could be a huge problem

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on adding a backup 3B in the frenzy. All my starters except Giambi and the C's have at least 600 pA's so I plan on finding just a backup 3B as Young can backup all the other positions in the IF if there is a short injury somewhere.

I am worried about SP. I am happy to hear the Peavy and HAL are friends. I don't know how to manage the bullpen on this set. Very few relievers can go multiple innings like I'm used to in the 86 set and starters don't go very deep. This should be interesting.

visick

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Is Giambi playing 1st? And Young @ 3B? If so, your corner INF D is terrible.
Rollins is grossly overpriced. A. Escobar saves $$$.
I do agree...this team desperately needs OB at the top of the lineup.

MrHacktastic

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 pm

visick wrote:Is Giambi playing 1st? And Young @ 3B? If so, your corner INF D is terrible.
Rollins is grossly overpriced. A. Escobar saves $$$.
I do agree...this team desperately needs OB at the top of the lineup.

Yeah right now my starters are:

C Bard/Shoppach
1B Giambi 5e9
2B Walker 2e6
3B Young 4e21
SS Rollins 1e8
LF Cabrera 2(-1)e3
CF Jackson 1e3
RF Markakis 1(-3)e0
DH Ortiz

I realize Giambi is a total liability at 1B but I'm hoping the e9 (which isn't crazy high) offsets a little of the 5 range. Or that even if it doesn't his offense will hopefully make up for it. Young is weak at 3B but he will likely move to 1B late in games and a defensive replacement yet to be signed will go to 3B. That is the tentative plan right now.

I'm hoping that the middle of my defense is far enough above average to cancel some of that out. Although I'm noticing there are a ton more strong defenders in the 2011 set than I'm used to in the 86 set.

durantjerry

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm

I think your team needs some work
Catcher-Bard should not be starting. Shopach gets lucky every once in a while in a bomber park, but he should be pretty pathetic in Safeco.
1B-I don't really use Giambi. He should hit some HR's for you but the "D" and the injury are problems. You can't really afford to lose your top hitters for any length of time because most of the other guys are so bad.
2B-Walker is a solid guy
SS-To me Rollins should be on a slugging team where you are trying to hit bombs and play "D". His price is high and his offense is a little weak, so to me it's tough to have a balanced team with him on it because he's eating up too much $$$ while not contributing enough offensively. Using bad OBP guys in these low OBP parks just compounds their weakness IMO.
3B-Young is OK, but to me he's a stats guy. That is, he piles up decent stats with regards to BA and OBP but seems to be lacking in Runs Scored and/or RBI. He's too weak to hit bottom five so you have to hit him first or second and he's a little slow for top. I would rather have W Betimit in a platoon(assuming best are gone) with someone. You will get similar or better production for cheaper than with Young.
CF-Jackson is like Rollins without power and RH "N" power being wasted at least 50% of the time. I rarely see him used and it's because he really can't hit.
RF-Same story-lacks great OBP, is he weak vs lhp's? Another guy who is often left over and it's for good reason IMO. I would use A Ethier in a platoon before him, and in fact I just made that move on a team of my own. Too much $$$ for too little production.
LF-not ideal park for him, as he loses decent # HR's in your park. Hits a lot of doubles. Not terrible.
Ortiz-I love Big Pappi

MrHacktastic

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

durantjerry wrote:I think your team needs some work
Catcher-Bard should not be starting. Shopach gets lucky every once in a while in a bomber park, but he should be pretty pathetic in Safeco.
1B-I don't really use Giambi. He should hit some HR's for you but the "D" and the injury are problems. You can't really afford to lose your top hitters for any length of time because most of the other guys are so bad.
2B-Walker is a solid guy
SS-To me Rollins should be on a slugging team where you are trying to hit bombs and play "D". His price is high and his offense is a little weak, so to me it's tough to have a balanced team with him on it because he's eating up too much $$$ while not contributing enough offensively. Using bad OBP guys in these low OBP parks just compounds their weakness IMO.
3B-Young is OK, but to me he's a stats guy. That is, he piles up decent stats with regards to BA and OBP but seems to be lacking in Runs Scored and/or RBI. He's too weak to hit bottom five so you have to hit him first or second and he's a little slow for top. I would rather have W Betimit in a platoon(assuming best are gone) with someone. You will get similar or better production for cheaper than with Young.
CF-Jackson is like Rollins without power and RH "N" power being wasted at least 50% of the time. I rarely see him used and it's because he really can't hit.
RF-Same story-lacks great OBP, is he weak vs lhp's? Another guy who is often left over and it's for good reason IMO. I would use A Ethier in a platoon before him, and in fact I just made that move on a team of my own. Too much $$$ for too little production.
LF-not ideal park for him, as he loses decent # HR's in your park. Hits a lot of doubles. Not terrible.
Ortiz-I love Big Pappi

I see what you mean on each point and I appreciate the feedback. I'll see what I can do in the frenzy in those areas. I don't plan on giving up on Giambi but in all other areas you mentioned I am open to switching it up.

ClowntimeIsOver

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 4:14 am

Cassevah is THE best value as a middle man -- set to "slow" and don't check max innings

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx