first try...did not like it

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

first try...did not like it

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 am

Have been playing online SOM baseball since 2003 and of course tabletop SOM long before that.

The online port of football is not enjoyable to me. Maybe it's just me, but:
1. Not enough customization of rosters
2. Too much roster parity--difference between best and worst at a given position is not that much
3. Not enough direct control over game play style
4. Not enough insight into the algorithms and cards...far too many are bulk (like defense) mixed with limited squad elements that don't have a lot of uniqueness (eg linebackers etc)
5. Most of the outcomes seem to be driven as much by chance as by strategy.
Overall, Strat is supposed to be a simulation that is statistically accurate over the long term based on season replay. Not a random chance of outcomes where we can tweak the margins of the outcomes. Especially an ATF format--it is no fun to feel so disconnected from the outcome of the team.

I did the free trial--won't spend anything until it is greatly improved. As compared with baseball, it would have to be about $2 a team to even bother.

prjr

Re: first try...did not like it

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Generally agree with all of what you said. I took the dive taking advantage of the special. I can see from the trial team and overall that it's not even close to being in the same league (pardon the pun) as the baseball game. First league about to start. Of course if I win I may have a different opinion lol

ROBERTLIND

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 8:24 am

I liked the older version better. I wish you could:
- pick individual defensive players
- direct passing to individual receivers
- pick plays better (i.e. throw more flat passes than short, run more end runs, linebucks, etc.)

The old game seemed to do a better job at this.

FrankieT

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 pm

well that sucks

JohnBowen1971

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Filling out the draft card was a blast and then seeing who all I was able to draft is really enjoyable. Will see how the game experience goes, but I think I could see myself playing a good bit of this.

beavis

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 am

JohnBowen1971 wrote:Filling out the draft card was a blast and then seeing who all I was able to draft is really enjoyable. Will see how the game experience goes, but I think I could see myself playing a good bit of this.

I feel the same way. With football and baseball, filling out the draft card and setting your roster after the draft is the most fun.

I actually prefer football to baseball right now. The action is constant and you have to adjust every night to survive. But the time commitment is also short --just 2-3 weeks. I can stay on top of it and it stays fresh in my head. I do wish there was more diversity to players and strategy, and I'm hopeful SOM will continue to develop it.

I love playing Strat baseball (the board game), but the online version just moves too slowly and tends to be too "set it an forget it" for me. I'm having a lot more fun with Strat football at the moment.

schley2020

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm

I tried the SOM game a couple years ago and quickly lost interest. It lacks the social aspect of playing your opponnet in person and referee playing a role etc. I much prefer the in person game and our league here in KSA is great with a very mature hosting and group dynamic. It is great fun to read people as well in real life almost like poker.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 2:00 pm

the online game is an even paler version of the cards and dice football game than the baseball game is - but I have always thought that the football game was one of the best board games I have ever played - up there with chess, go, and stratego

my biggest complaint from my free trial was that my first game was a tie... I thought that the NFL had more or less eliminated ties... so I am not sure that 'realism at it's best has been obtained

just sayin'

appaarently the HAL headline writer was as confused as I was by the tie - this is the headline:

"Dagobah Mainframes beat Chicago Zs 14-14" Dagobah must have had more style points

Docklsd

Try Again...DRAFT TODAY!

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 1:04 pm

nomadbrad

PostMon May 17, 2021 4:14 pm

ROBERTLIND wrote:I liked the older version better. I wish you could:
- pick individual defensive players
- direct passing to individual receivers
- pick plays better (i.e. throw more flat passes than short, run more end runs, linebucks, etc.)

The old game seemed to do a better job at this.

Don't forget that the TSN version (I played about 10 seasons back in 2002/2003) was one 15 min quarter played each night. So you could change the play selection and/or starters and/or play calling quarter to quarter since a game took 4 nights to complete.

It was a BLAST....I actually BETTER than the baseball game, but it was pricey back then, like $16 per team in 2002 dollars....drafting individual OL and DL and LB and DBs was vastly superior to what we have now.....now it is a JOKE. I still have 2 unspent credits that I have kept on the books for like 3 years now. I won't spend them until the game is improved.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365