Mandatory Penalty(?) Negates a 75 yrd run

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Golden Bubba

Mandatory Penalty(?) Negates a 75 yrd run

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:15 am

Does anyone have access to the actual Card and Dice adv/super-adv Penalty split charts to assist in clarifying the following...

Can you clarify if there are any Defensive penalties which MUST be accepted by the offense, or are the MANDATORY penalties offensive only?

According to the play-by-play, I (GOL) apparently had a 75-yrd run negated by a 0-yrd penalty(?) on the defense (Brooklyn). This was a MANDATORY(?) acceptance penalty and thus, it negated the run gain. Is there a coach out there that would actually decline this type of penalty, if given the choice? I'll admit to not following pro football much these last few years, but is there an instance in real life that a penalty on the defense must be accepted and therefore negate a substantial gain by the offense? If it were an off-sides or some other prior-to-the-snap variety...wouldn't that be reflected in the following Line of Scrimmage?

One possibility is that the PbP account is wrong and the penalty is actually on Golden instead of Brooklyn...

Here's the play-by-play...any insightful assistance would be appreciated.

1-10 GOL 23
(6:05) End Run - Right (Blocking Back 1HB) [D: 4-3, Pass]
Run
LeSean McCoy (HB): 75 yards
Tackle
Prince Amukamara (LCB)
Penalty On
Brooklyn: 0 yards
Penalty Mandatory

1-10 GOL 23
(5:46) End Run - Left (Blocking Back 1HB) [D: 4-3, Pass]
OBB
Mike Tolbert (BB): Good Play
Run
LeSean McCoy (HB): 3 yards
Tackle
Ahmad Brooks (RLB)
Injury
Eli Harold (LLB)

edwardneal63

Re: Mandatory Penalty(?) Negates a 75 yrd run

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 3:51 am

Not certain what happened here but a situation where the play could be returned to the original line of scrimmage with no loss of down would be for offsetting penalties (e.g. offsides on the defense and holding on the offense.) Tough break even if the play turns out to be correct.

Golden Bubba

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:48 am

Ed, ah yes, thanks for that...that too is a possibility. I assume that the play-by-play doesn't delineate showing off-setting penalties from one-sided penalties, so since only one penalty can be shown, it was arbitrarily shown to be the defense.

As for the penalty split chart...do either the adv or super-adv rules allow for off-setting penalties to occur? I'm quite content to assume that the rules allow for this...but any confirmation from the actual split charts would be greatly appreciated.

edwardneal63

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 am

gbrookes was kind enough to post several links to material helpful to understanding playing Strat football. Uncertain if this PDF article was directly linked or not but it does mention the possibility of offsetting penalties. Looking through some of gbrookes' football related posts might find other useful information as well.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/football_rules ... +Rules.pdf PDF Document

Edit: Looking at an older post, seems doug_tucker10 linked this article on 9/8. Thanks to him, gbrookes, and all who have tried to make Strat football more understandable.
Last edited by edwardneal63 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Bubba

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:21 am

Awesome...excellent document! On page 30, it states that offsetting penalties are possible. I can live with that.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365