Must Run

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tof78

Must Run

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 am

I have a question about Must Run.
In my ATF team I have S.Young who has a lot of "Must Run" on Short/Long RIGHT column.
He has MR on 3, 4, 7 and 8 (16 on 36 in term of probability when we use the RIGHT for short and long attempts).

After two games he doesn't look having so many of them.
His running stats after 2 games are:

5 runs for 47 yards, which is good but the number of runs is low. And I'm not sure how many of these 5 runs were really due to Must Run.
His completion percentage is quite good as well (64,3% - 36/56). So he had 20 no completed passes.

Do you know the reasons why he has a such low number of runs?

Ninersphan

Re: Must Run

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am

tof78 wrote:I have a question about Must Run.
In my ATF team I have S.Young who has a lot of "Must Run" on Short/Long RIGHT column.
He has MR on 3, 4, 7 and 8 (16 on 36 in term of probability when we use the RIGHT for short and long attempts).

After two games he doesn't look having so many of them.
His running stats after 2 games are:

5 runs for 47 yards, which is good but the number of runs is low. And I'm not sure how many of these 5 runs were really due to Must Run.
His completion percentage is quite good as well (64,3% - 36/56). So he had 20 no completed passes.

Do you know the reasons why he has a such low number of runs?

The MUST RUNS only come up when the defense guesses pass and there is a pass play called, think of it as being forced to scramble from the pocket, so it looks like the defense is not guessing pass when you are calling Short and long Passes. I'd also surmise you are using an offense that favors flat passes over short/long ones, so those plays in general likely aren't being called to often.
I'm a Niners fan ( obviously) and used to play in the FTF league using the early 90's Niners teams, so I have a lot of experience with Young, and that must run doesn't come up nearly as often us you might think during the course of a game, maybe 2-4 time on average. ( Though it was a gas rolling a 2-4 on the must run and watching my opponent's reaction when Young would rip off a long one. ;) )
Again it depends a lot on your play calling. If you are successful on 1st and second down and leaving your self in many short yardage situations where you don't have to force the ball with Short and long passes, that also minimizes those chances.

gbrookes

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

There is one offensive formation that causes the QB to do more end runs. Check the "details" on the right beside the offensive formation options, under team strategy (I recommend that you do that anyway, if you haven't done it already).

Make sure your QB has good card readings on the end run QB running card, if you choose that formation.

Ninersphan

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

gbrookes wrote:There is one offensive formation that causes the QB to do more end runs. Check the "details" on the right beside the offensive formation options, under team strategy (I recommend that you do that anyway, if you haven't done it already).

Make sure your QB has good card readings on the end run QB running card, if you choose that formation.

That's not an issue with Young. ;)

MARCPELLETIER

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Don't forget that there is also 36 reading chances on the defensive card. No "must run" readings occur on the defensive cards.

So the probabilty to get a "must run" is really 16/72, so once every 4-5 "correct" pass defense. Also, you don't get to the qb reading card if a sack occurs.

tmfw30

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks for the question and for the replies. I had almost the exact same situation. I saw all of the "must runs" on Young's passing card and tried to set a very pass-heavy strategy to get him scrambling, thinking that he would be running all game long, and he almost never did...

wavygravy2k

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 pm

gbrookes wrote:There is one offensive formation that causes the QB to do more end runs. Check the "details" on the right beside the offensive formation options, under team strategy (I recommend that you do that anyway, if you haven't done it already).

Would it be safe to say if the QB has more 'must run' chances he would have more success in the Mobile QB offensive scheme?

Ninersphan

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 pm

wavygravy2k wrote:

Would it be safe to say if the QB has more 'must run' chances he would have more success in the Mobile QB offensive scheme?

Not necessarily, it just means he's likely to tuck and run at the first sign of trouble. Mobile QB should be used with QB's that can run the end run, many can't. Just because there are many Must Runs in the passing column, that doesn't mean the runs are effective. It's all based on the guys stats. His longest scramble will be on a roll of 2, but if his average scramble is only 2 or 3 yards you aren't going to make living out having him run all
The time.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365