Impacts of lack of low value backups and replacement players

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Impacts of lack of low value backups and replacement players

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 am

1. Expensive to make changes during the season. I'm guessing that the biggest target for mid season player drops could be special teams players, because there are cheaper replacement players at those roster spots.

2. Trades could be very important in strat football, if owners want to change things up.

3. Lack of available players at some positions make changes very difficult - for example, I think that there a shortage of fullbacks. That seems like an oversight in the online game at this point.

4. Others?

Ninersphan

Re: Impacts of lack of low value backups and replacement pla

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:29 pm

gbrookes wrote:
3. Lack of available players at some positions make changes very difficult - for example, I think that there a shortage of fullbacks. That seems like an oversight in the online game at this point.

There's a shortage of fullbacks in the NFL period. Most teams either run two TE, two WR, one RB; or one TE, two WR, and one RB these days, very few play a traditional 2two WR's one TE, and two RB's (fullback and Halfback), that's not Strats fault. ;)

Chris Franco

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 pm

In the history of the nfl there have been many many many solid players at each position.

The data base at each position can easily be tripled without a stretch.

nomadbrad

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm

A suggestion as to how to RESOLVE this issue.

Continue to Draft 23 slots......but teams are ONLY required to carry a 22 man roster.

Teams may DROP one of their FBs after the draft.

Each teams drafts 23 but can play with 22 (just 1 FB)

If the FB gets injured then HAL will simply either play a 3 WR set or double TE set until the injured FB is healed. If the owner so chooses they can also drop the injured FB and replace if they want or just bite the bullet until their return.

This would free up TONS of money for waivers and alleviate the need of fighting over non existent "SCRUB" fullback!

YountFan

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

I agree with 22 man roster, but why limit it to only dropping a fullback. You should be able to go lite at any position except QB.
Posted by the real YountFan

geekor

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm

or have practice squad players that come up as needed that suck.

Chris Franco

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 am

Well, it seems that a deep bench in ATG is very important. Hal is constantly rotating the players at all the offensive positions other than QB every game. And if a players stats go over about a (real life x 1.30) usage...players are getting hurt...including quarterbacks.

Personally I love it in the ATG game.

In the baseball game, many overuse players unrealistically...(I think we are all aware of the unfixed Super Reliever fiasco...which totally kills the baseball game if you have GMs in your league abusing that exploit)...

So. No "super reliever" type garbage in ATG football.
In ATG football you are rewarded for having good solid deep teams...including a good solid backup quarterback.
You just manage your team daily and rest players that are being used a lot...or you have a high probability of players getting hurt.
Manage your team daily...sub players out...they won't get hurt and you will do better than your opponents who are on auto pilot.
Use your bench players...they are all important.

Me? Love that.

L O V E that!!!

mr_herzog

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am

Chris: Does it appear to you that each player's durabilty is true to his rating?

Is there a lot of substitution of the team card players-- TOL, TDB, TLB, etc...?

Thanks!

Chris Franco

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 pm

mr_herzog wrote:Chris: Does it appear to you that each player's durabilty is true to his rating?

Is there a lot of substitution of the team card players-- TOL, TDB, TLB, etc...?

Thanks!

I can not speak to the OL or DL or LB or DB

At all the O positions it appears that if they stay below actual per game usage x 1.3 they are safe from injury or rest.
You need to consider whether they played 12, 14 or 16 game seasons...divide their usage by that, then multiply times 1.3. Keep them below that and they are ok.
This is my experience so far. Go above that, they get hurt.
So, there is skill in managing your lineups before each game starts to make sure they stay under that.

I love this part of managing my team daily.

Chris Franco

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 pm

What I am seeing so far.
This is all ATG by the way.

Is...

Spend on quality depth. Critically important.

Manage and rest players daily.

Do not spend on top D or OL.
$6M to $8M on each of those 4 is fine. They perform just as well as the top ones at each of those 4.

A team I have with a top 5 at OL and DL and LB and DB starts tonight.

I will report in the future as to what I see.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365