totally new to strat football---help

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Paul_Long71

Re: totally new to strat football---help

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Ok. Thanks Radagast. That helps some. So on a run play if card for RB says 2 yards, does the O-line and D-line then come into play or just sometimes O-Line gets added and sometimes D-Line gets added or what? and how do LB's factor in? and what do their ratings do (I get the higher the # the better, etc...) and how do Db's work.

too much unknown and just doesn't seem like Strat introduced it well with a TON of info missing. Some have found the CD Rom game rules but those are 50 pages or so and most don't have to do with this online game at all.

guess I'll probably be sticking to baseball (save me money anyway)

Radagast Brown

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm

I hear ya Paul.... I play the CD-ROM a lot and it is awesome because of the play calling...

Basically lineman ratings only come into to play some of the time, when the die is rolled on the defensive team card. And even then, only part of the time do the lineman ratings come into play.

It's been a long time since I looked at the rules, but defensive backs can be anything from 0-6 against the pass, 6 is a shut down corner. How that works exactly I do not remember, but once again the DB ratings only come into play sometimes when the roll is on the team defensive card....

So just like in baseball 1,2,3 is on the offensive player's card, and 4,5,6 is on the defensive team card, which then sometimes has you refer to the individual defensive player's rating....

A pass with a roll of 1,2,3 will be on the QB's card, but sometimes on the QB's card it will say, "RECEIVER", which means you roll again and get the result off of the receiver's card.

Remember credits are only 9.99 with the first one being a buy one get one free. And you can get 5 for 39.99 after your initial two for 9.99...

I hope you decide to play....

Can someone please post a link to the player salaries?

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:55 pm

I did not get 2 for 1. I purchased a credit for 9.99 and now there is no 2-for-1 option available to me. Never got 2-for-1 when I bought mine yesterday. sucks but oh well.

Mr Baseball World

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Paul: Check your email receipt. It should say new member two team special. Mine says that but appears I did not get two teams either. I am going to email and see what they say

Mr Baseball World

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

I did get mine. Did not see it before but it was there.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:09 pm

mine doesn't say new member anything. here is my receipt cut-and-pasted:

1 x Strat-O-Matic Football 365 - 1 team - $9.99
SKU: FBONLINE1

gbrookes

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:Ok. Thanks Radagast. That helps some. So on a run play if card for RB says 2 yards, does the O-line and D-line then come into play or just sometimes O-Line gets added and sometimes D-Line gets added or what? and how do LB's factor in? and what do their ratings do (I get the higher the # the better, etc...) and how do Db's work.

too much unknown and just doesn't seem like Strat introduced it well with a TON of info missing. Some have found the CD Rom game rules but those are 50 pages or so and most don't have to do with this online game at all.

guess I'll probably be sticking to baseball (save me money anyway)

I used to play strat football with cards and dice, many years ago. The "guts" of the game are roughly the same I think.

When it comes to running back card readings that reference or depend on the particular offensive lineman blocking rating (varies from one running play to another - a key point) - if the "black or red" die roll is less than or equal to the lineman's blocking rating, the result is the higher yardage gain specified on the running back's card. Therefore, a lineman with a 6 rating makes the block (and the better running play result) 100% of the time. A 5 makes the succes sful block only 66% of the time. A 4 rating only 33% and a zero rated lineman never makes the block (and therefore results in the lower yardage specified on the running back's card for that play).

Similarly (again, using a running play as an example), when the black or red die roll is a 4, 5 or 6, the play is read from the defensive team run card. If it happens to result in a variable reading based on either the defensive lineman or linebacker's individual run defense, you refer to that specified defender's run rating. If the die roll exceeds the defender's run rating, then the higher yardage (as specified on the team defense card) is the result for the play. If the die roll is less than or equal to the specified defender's individual run defense rating, then the lower yardage is the result, as specified on the team defense rating (based on the two white dice that are rolled). So, there is both an overall team defense (which is reflected in the team run defense card) as well as the potential for variable run results depending on the individual defender's run defense rating.

The same system works for passing, with respect to an individual defender's pass rating, except that the variable results are specified on the team defense pass card.

With respect to pass blocking and sacks, I believe that this system has evolved several times, from what was originally an extremely simple system, into a more variable and sophisticated system. I will have to dig out my old strat football game to see if I can find the rules and charts for this. What we really need for online football is a rule book. The Strat Wiki pages for baseball would be very helpful for football! I don't know if that exists. Even my old strat football game is likely out of date, compared to what are undoubtedly new(ish) rules for pass rush blocking and defender's pass rush. I will see what i can find.

Sounds like we need to build what we all built for baseball - pinned posts that explain how the online football game really works!!!! I'm interested!!! But someone with recent CD-ROM strat football would be a big asset for this kind of post!!!!
Last edited by gbrookes on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

gbrookes

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:mine doesn't say new member anything. here is my receipt cut-and-pasted:

1 x Strat-O-Matic Football 365 - 1 team - $9.99
SKU: FBONLINE1

I think you had to click on the onscreen word/letters that referred to the 2 for 1 special - they were actually a hot button that took you to the shopping cart, that showed that you were buying the 2 for 1 special. You should email strat - I sincerely expect that they will fix that for you!!! I actually emailed strat, but had figured it out in the meantime. But they *did* respond to me by email. If you email them, I'm sure that they will fix that for you!!!

gbrookes

gbrookes

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365