Initial thoughts.

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

geekor

Re: Initial thoughts.

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

FB/BB are priced way too high.

Normal Cap is too low, 150 seems about right.

Chris Franco

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 am

Ok. So am guessing the offensive lines, defensive lines etc...are all based off 2016 players and stats?

Well, maybe I am missing something, but let's talk about just DL for a minute...
In real life, Some are better at rushing the passer and some are better at run defense...
So, if a DL is say $6M, how do you know which style you are getting?

Chris Franco

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 am

Chris Franco wrote:Ok. So am guessing the offensive lines, defensive lines etc...are all based off 2016 players and stats?

Well, maybe I am missing something, but let's talk about just DL for a minute...
In real life, Some are better at rushing the passer and some are better at run defense...
So, if a DL is say $6M, how do you know which style you are getting?

Ok. I figured it out, if you look under free agents they have different sub ratings...

Looking at New York NFC DL...they are rated at pass rush at 41 and defense at 34...$14.25M

So, I am guessing "defense" is run defense.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 2:23 pm

I agree that one half of football a night is a better format, it would make the leagues last twice as long and we could make halftime adjustments...

We should have been able to pick a formation and a lineup for all four downs, as well as one for each quarter, and a formation being behind versus ahead in the game... Largely the computer will make many of these adjustments for us..

It is like we are the GM more than the coach...

I think they could add to it and give us more decisions, like choices of primary formations per down, and more lineup choices like "THIRD DOWN BACK".

I will give it a try when some of my baseball leagues wind down real soon.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 2:58 pm

I actually think it is pretty cool.... A few more decisions would make it amazing.

cardinalsfan

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 4:05 pm

I really enjoyed the first iteration of strat football on TSN. If memory serves the biggest complaint was no playoffs. I don’t think they ever fixed that problem, and it was part of the reason the game didn’t endure.

I’m glad to see they fixed that problem, but I think they may have introduced others that might be worse from my point of view. I liked the TSN version, I was one of those last few people still playing when there were only a couple of leagues going. I was really excited to see that it’s back but some differences I don’t think I’m going to like…

No in-game adjustments. What? My memory was that you could adjust every quarter, maybe it was only once per game. The point is you could adjust your strategy at least once per game for sure.

Now we are drafting defense and offensive line by units. It used to be individual players, I liked that better.

There was a generic defensive card and you could view it. There were complaints early on and they added more results coming off the card to check individual ratings than the normal strat football team defensive card would. I thought that was good, and I thought it should have been even more.

There were more adjustments that could be made to control your play calling, especially offensively. My memory is fuzzy on it but I think you could adjust how often the individual types of plays were called. For example, you had control of Flat, Short and Long passing as well as which type of runs to call more of etc. My recollection is that you could even choose which receivers you wanted to throw to more often. Like I said, I'm fuzzy on the specifics, but there was definitely more pin point control of your game plan.

So, for whoever makes decisions at Strat-o-matic on how this game is implemented at the very least please…

1. Split the game up into at least 2 days with adjustments at the half

2. Show us the generic defensive card you are using

I’d also rather draft individual players than units, but other people may enjoy the unit-based system, so we’ll see. I think most everyone here would enjoy more control over the play calling than we have.

nomadbrad

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 4:16 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:I tried the free trial. Will not be a customer. One choice of formation...and after that, only little tweaks? Even if it were per half, it's still only only one choice formation..I was hoping that we'd be given some situations...1st and long, 3rd and short, 1st quarter...set up your first five plays...something along these lines

MARC -

Back in 2002/2003 Sporting News Version there were sliding bars from 30% to 70% for differing positions.

Like 1st & 10 inside own 20 ......1st & 10 between the 20 yard lines.......1st & 10 inside RED ZONE.....
etc.for 2nd and short, medium and long.....etc.etc.etc............

I believe these are incremental changes that will come back and we could likely see them within the next 12 to 18 months or so......I think it would be WISE for SOM to set up a folder for suggestions of improvements the community would like to see and I believe it can happen since it already existed in the previous Sporting News version.

nomadbrad

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Chris Franco wrote:First off. Thrilled that there is a football 365 game.
Very excited to try.

Some initial thoughts that popped into my mind...

I am not crazy about the nightly games like baseball. Baseball 365 seasons last about two months. Strat 365 Football is going to last 16 nights?
I think it should have been 1 game every three or four nights. This would simulate the real life breaks between football weeks. Build up the anticipation of each game....like real life football being only on weekends. Football is not baseball.

Not to seem disagreeable, but the $140 is pretty LEGIT and perhaps too generous. Back in the 2002/2003 TSN version is was difficult to afford more than say (2) "6" and (2) "5"s and then have the rest of the defense be "4"s and "0"s.

By the looks of it, 10 of the 12 teams will have FEWER than 1 or 2 "0"s......which means EVERYONE is going to have an AVERAGE defense at WORST...........back in the day if you had (4) "6" and (4) "5"s and (3) "4"s which it looks like half of the owners out there are drafting.....back then you'd be lucky to anything left for offense........

At this point, I see the weakness is that there aren't MORE minimum $$ scrubs for the benches.....it seems like owners are required to waste $5 to $7M extra on offensive bench players that aren't going to see more than 20 plays on the field during a 16 game season! If this is fixed, it would free up close to the $10M extra you need......at this point I think ELITE defenses are UNDER PRICED! IMO.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 pm

I agree with the above, the 140 cap seems way high to me.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 8:57 pm

One half of football a night seems so much better. What if you are up by 20 or down by 21 at half, you want to make adjustments.... Of course the computer will make those for you, but we would rather have control...

I have played the CD-ROM close to a thousand times and I know how the computer manager operates, which is why we need to be able to make those halftime adjustments...
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365