Anyone else find this boring?

All Football 365 talk goes here!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Re: Anyone else find this boring?

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 pm

KEVINEHLE wrote:At least the TSN version of SOM online Football played a Half at a time so we could make strategy adjustments at halftime based on how the game is going. 32 nights instead of 16 shouldn't be a big deal from a programming standpoint.
Bottom line, we are all saying pretty much the same thing. Give us more options to run our team....and allow us to make in game adjustments (at least a half at a time).

And (1) all card results off of cards that we can see - including the defense cards, even if they are generic
(2) die roll results, so we can understand what actually happened in the game
(3) better game strategy disclosures on a play by play basis - which linebackers were blitzing? Was the safety blitzing?

geekor

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm

mr_herzog wrote:geekor, I believe the A0 and B0 refer to injury chances without overusage.

And, I believe that questionable and doubtful are warnings of overusage. Your HB will still play.

If your halfback had more than 336 carries in his real-life designated season, then there is a problem.

No, the letter is specifically about overuse:

kill players (QB, HB, BB, FB, TE, SE, FL) may be forced to sit out the occasional game even if you list them as a starter. The letter at the beginning of a skill player's Injury Rating (e.g. the "B" in "B2") indicates how often he might be forced to sit out a given game due to overusage. "A" rated players may be used most heavily without fear of missing games, while "F" rated players may be used the least heavily. During the season, you would see a "Q" (Questionable) or "D" (Doubtful) designation next to your player's name if he is on pace to be used too much, which would indicate that the risk of him being forced to sit out the next game is temporarily elevated. Remember to manage usage for skill players who will have more Pass Attempts, Carries, and/or Receptions than he is carded for.

So an A0 player should be able to be used freely, without risk of injury or sitting, and yet I have David Johnson Questionable with 63 carries.....

I have D Freeman as Doubtful, with even less carries as a B0 (with Ware having 10 carries a game).

geekor

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:19 pm

If you're still going to state that's too much, again that in itself is a SOM problem.

Average number of offensive players per game in the NFL was between 60-70 per game.

I'm averaging 81.

I can't help the overuse, from doing nothing special, there will be overuse on all players.

The overuse numbers need to be bumped as it currently is situated.

BC15NY

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 pm

gbrookes wrote:
KEVINEHLE wrote:At least the TSN version of SOM online Football played a Half at a time so we could make strategy adjustments at halftime based on how the game is going. 32 nights instead of 16 shouldn't be a big deal from a programming standpoint.
Bottom line, we are all saying pretty much the same thing. Give us more options to run our team....and allow us to make in game adjustments (at least a half at a time).

And (1) all card results off of cards that we can see - including the defense cards, even if they are generic
(3) better game strategy disclosures on a play by play basis - which linebackers were blitzing? Was the safety blitzing?

I agree completely. I have played all of the 'big 4' Strat board games a ton and football is probably the best for face-to-face, but it loses the most outside of that format. There needs to be a bunch more options for running your offense, including some control over play calling (down and distance tendencies as well as field position - red zone, inside your own 20, etc.)

I think halftime adjustments are critical to football and that is a must-have in my opinion. Also, I would rather see full-team defensive cards and the results from those cards by dice roll.

My initial reaction was "where's the beef?" I mean 3 whole settings to run an offense with?

I'm done after the free trial until they add more into the online game.

gbrookes

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 6:37 pm

BC15NY wrote:
gbrookes wrote:

I agree completely. I have played all of the 'big 4' Strat board games a ton and football is probably the best for face-to-face, but it loses the most outside of that format. There needs to be a bunch more options for running your offense, including some control over play calling (down and distance tendencies as well as field position - red zone, inside your own 20, etc.)

I think halftime adjustments are critical to football and that is a must-have in my opinion. Also, I would rather see full-team defensive cards and the results from those cards by dice roll.

My initial reaction was "where's the beef?" I mean 3 whole settings to run an offense with?

I'm done after the free trial until they add more into the online game.

"I'm done after the free trial until they add more into the online game."

I love strat, strat online - any strat. Except this football game, on which we veteran gamers have stated our concerns.

Yeah, I love playing strat, but I'll check to see if they have made the changes that we want. If not, I have 3 cool mystery card baseball franchise leagues going, my regular keeper teams, etc., and I would like to buy the strat hockey board games and computer game (my Winnipeg Jets are on the rise!).

I would love to see this online football game with the changes we are asking for. I will enjoy finishing off the two teams that I've started, and then I'll take a break for a while, and see what they come up with.

MARCPELLETIER

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm

I guess what you could do is take SOM salary structure, build a league with a maximum value for rosters, but then play face-to-face by using the internet option of the Windows game...

BC15NY

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:46 pm

I'd love to see them add the features being suggested into the online football game. I think it has great potential. I'd also love to see the hockey game made into an online product.

mr_herzog

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 pm

So an A0 player should be able to be used freely, without risk of injury or sitting, and yet I have David Johnson Questionable with 63 carries....

Actually, the rules say "most heavily" --not without risk of injury. Most heavily is relative. You are using Johnson 25% more than his regular season attempts. At this point, he can still play. But you may have to find a way later to lower his usage (less overall running or start another player).

To each his own on this game. I just finished a season of ATG Baseball. After the preseason,I was basically a spectator. SOM football appears (My first game is Monday.) to offer more head-to-head coaching strategy.

I wish there were more controls, too. But for nine bucks, I'll give this a shot. It looks like fun. And who knows, if the game gets traction maybe SOM will add features from our wishlist.

Badjam

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 pm

How do we know if we are using a guy too much if we have no control over substitutions?

geekor

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 pm

mr_herzog wrote:
So an A0 player should be able to be used freely, without risk of injury or sitting, and yet I have David Johnson Questionable with 63 carries....

Actually, the rules say "most heavily" --not without risk of injury. Most heavily is relative. You are using Johnson 25% more than his regular season attempts. At this point, he can still play. But you may have to find a way later to lower his usage (less overall running or start another player).

To each his own on this game. I just finished a season of ATG Baseball. After the preseason,I was basically a spectator. SOM football appears (My first game is Monday.) to offer more head-to-head coaching strategy.

I wish there were more controls, too. But for nine bucks, I'll give this a shot. It looks like fun. And who knows, if the game gets traction maybe SOM will add features from our wishlist.

I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure I copied and pasted directly from SOM rules, again, for those who can't comprehend. It does say specifically, without fear.

Skill players (QB, HB, BB, FB, TE, SE, FL) may be forced to sit out the occasional game even if you list them as a starter. The letter at the beginning of a skill player's Injury Rating (e.g. the "B" in "B2") indicates how often he might be forced to sit out a given game due to overusage. "A" rated players may be used most heavily without fear of missing games, while "F" rated players may be used the least heavily. During the season, you would see a "Q" (Questionable) or "D" (Doubtful) designation next to your player's name if he is on pace to be used too much, which would indicate that the risk of him being forced to sit out the next game is temporarily elevated. Remember to manage usage for skill players who will have more Pass Attempts, Carries, and/or Receptions than he is carded for.

So why would any A0 (the 0 says how many games he can miss to injury) even be questionable or doubtful?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Football 365