22.1 Results

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

BC15NY

Re: 22.1 Results

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 3:24 pm

Verbal Warrior wrote:I voted for Karko not because he necessarily deserved it but because he was needed as a cheap option for the CWS franchise and in general all exp franchises can use more cheaper options.

I hope Bill and the strat community figures out a way to inject a bunch of cheap under 1m players into the set as its challenging to play franchise leagues with so few options under 1m. In my current franchise league I'm using a $1.23m 5th SP who will likely never be used and $1.44m hardly used CF because there were no other cheaper options available.

I think we should have a supplemental cheapo player vote where every team gets 4 additional cheapo players so over 100 are added to the set.

As I mentioned previously, I am working on some ideas for adding more exp-era cheap cards to the set. It won't be in place of our regular quarterly new card add.

It won't be done evenly across franchises, as some have plenty of options, while others are sorely lacking.

Some organizers of franchise leagues will allow .50 cards to be used from other franchises to alleviate this issue.

scorehouse

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 10:34 pm

most of these cards will never get used but neither do most of the cards in the data base. every league is a dogfight for Tekulve, Duncan, Mercer, Blowers, Collins, Suzuki, Weintraub, Berra(4L), cheap Carew, etc. for platoon baseball. with the AB and IP nomination requirements, there r better options already in the player pool. Pitching is different and more dependent on price and BP effects especially Slant.

BC15NY

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 8:58 am

scorehouse wrote:most of these cards will never get used but neither do most of the cards in the data base. every league is a dogfight for Tekulve, Duncan, Mercer, Blowers, Collins, Suzuki, Weintraub, Berra(4L), cheap Carew, etc. for platoon baseball. with the AB and IP nomination requirements, there r better options already in the player pool. Pitching is different and more dependent on price and BP effects especially Slant.

I respectfully have to disagree. If you play in a lot of leagues across all caps, you'll see the majority of our new card additions being used. Throw franchise leagues into the mix and it becomes even more evident.

The new card additions keep the set fresh. I use cards from our additions on just about every team I run.

2cityfan

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 10:00 pm

For what it is worth, I submitted the request for Ron Karkovice in the last new card cycle. i enjoyed reading the conversation thread the Karkovice selection generated.. Here's why I made the request:

1.) I like to create, and play in franchise theme leagues .. the exp era rosters are now deep enough to generate numerous teams from the same exp era list.. CWS exp needed a low cost back up option.. the exp era rosters are full of stars and high dollar cards.. we need some scrubs to make feasible rosters for franchise leagues in the $80M to $100M range...

2.) I met Ron Karkovice as he coached a local minor league team after he retired.. I am a White Sox fan, and have affection for the 1993 team. Karkovice was a star on defense.. He is also a great guy

We all have different expectations from SOM and the leagues we want to see. I understand why many of my fellow SOM managers would not understand the value, but we don't all want the same thing from SOM 365...

I am excited for opening day..

southpawcom

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 10:33 pm

Verbal Warrior wrote:...

I hope Bill and the strat community figures out a way to inject a bunch of cheap under 1m players into the set as its challenging to play franchise leagues with so few options under 1m....

I think we should have a supplemental cheapo player vote where every team gets 4 additional cheapo players so over 100 are added to the set.

Yes, please. Those who want to see every single ARod, Ernie Banks, and Gossage card added to the set can sit that one out. Myself, give me Bill Sudakis, Frank Fernandez, Steve Braun, and...Ed Kirkpatrick.

visick

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 8:28 am

"1.) I like to create, and play in franchise theme leagues .. the exp era rosters are now deep enough to generate numerous teams from the same exp era list.. CWS exp needed a low cost back up option.. the exp era rosters are full of stars and high dollar cards.. we need some scrubs to make feasible rosters for franchise leagues in the $80M to $100M range...

2.) I met Ron Karkovice as he coached a local minor league team after he retired.. I am a White Sox fan, and have affection for the 1993 team. Karkovice was a star on defense.. He is also a great guy"

I totally agree that we need scrubs.
I just don't think we need to waste a pick on scrubs.
Just add the scrubs.

Respectfully 2city,
Being a great guy, doesn't justify choosing ANY player.

2cityfan

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 10:53 am

I agree Visick.. being a great guy is not a reason to vote a new card in.. I am glad we agree we need more scrubs.. The new card add cycles as we run them now do not make much difference.. The net new team adds help, but there are still some targets of useful scrubs that I would like to see in the set.. I know you jump into the franchise leagues I create from time to time, and I would love to hear your thoughts on how we can more scrubs added into the ATGv9 set at a faster pace to make more leagues feasible..

BC15NY

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 1:56 pm

2cityfan wrote:I agree Visick.. being a great guy is not a reason to vote a new card in.. I am glad we agree we need more scrubs.. The new card add cycles as we run them now do not make much difference.. The net new team adds help, but there are still some targets of useful scrubs that I would like to see in the set.. I know you jump into the franchise leagues I create from time to time, and I would love to hear your thoughts on how we can more scrubs added into the ATGv9 set at a faster pace to make more leagues feasible..

I have reached out to Strat re a one-time add of at least 100 cheap 'scrub' expansion era cards to the ATG set.

Hopefully that will fly and we can add them this year. Otherwise, I do have a plan B. Let's see what they say first, before we move in another direction.

Thanks,
Bill

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 9:30 pm

BONANZA!

May I thank the community from the bottom of my heart for the Big George Altman card!

Beltin' Bill Melton too!

sincerely, and good splits always,

- Patrick

Verbal Warrior

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 9:47 pm

BC15NY wrote:
2cityfan wrote:I agree Visick.. being a great guy is not a reason to vote a new card in.. I am glad we agree we need more scrubs.. The new card add cycles as we run them now do not make much difference.. The net new team adds help, but there are still some targets of useful scrubs that I would like to see in the set.. I know you jump into the franchise leagues I create from time to time, and I would love to hear your thoughts on how we can more scrubs added into the ATGv9 set at a faster pace to make more leagues feasible..

I have reached out to Strat re a one-time add of at least 100 cheap 'scrub' expansion era cards to the ATG set.

Hopefully that will fly and we can add them this year. Otherwise, I do have a plan B. Let's see what they say first, before we move in another direction.

Thanks,
Bill

Rather than relying on what might be a random bulk add from Strat perhaps it might be more efficient to address what exp teams need what.

Why don't we make a list. ask Strat Members to volunteer for an EXP franchise, and they can detail what each team really needs? Allow for up to 5 position requests.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions