Hey Boomers, You are fired!

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

Radagast Brown

Hey Boomers, You are fired!

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Oh, I have been waiting for this day. Hey, old boomers, you are fired! Now maybe instead of Rube Whitey's 1876 card we can get Michael Brantley a card, and Andrew McCutchen's best card... Sorry bout your luck !

Go ahead, tell me how Strat-O-Matic is using your input on new card selections and prices.

Just a quick question about the future of THIS GAME. Will you attract more (obviously) younger players with some redneck Cincinnati Red Stockings player from the 1800s, or with the stars of today like Michael Brantley?

honestiago

Re: Hey Boomers, You are fired!

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:17 am

You know, I agree with you, especially about Cutch. And I have a visceral reaction to the racist idiots who pointedly create all white rosters (I’d like them banned from the game). In real life, I’ve ended up disowning family members who had such ignorant views.

But...

Your tone is so off putting, and so stereotypical of folks trained to hate and blame older people for everything that, even as I agree with you, I would find it very hard to support you. Further, the “whining and crying over not getting the trophy” approach feeds right into the young people stereotype, and will not garner you the support you could receive if you were less presumptive and insulting. You’re applying a broad brush to an entire generation, and it sounds like you’re doing so only because your favorite player got passed up. I’m not saying that’s what you’re actually doing. I’m telling you what it sounds like. Even if you’re right, you won’t get much help going about it that way. I say this as someone whose taken that approach and seen it fail, every single time. Tone is important. Yours is counterproductive to your cause.

eveldrive

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:46 am

That's probably the best response to a rant that I've ever heard

Salty

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 11:19 am

agreed HonestTiago-
im not a boomer either.
and Im sure you, the OP, have forgotten -
BUT IM THE ONE WHO ACTUALLY BROUGHT UP THE ISSUE ON THE OLD TSN FORUM BC I PERSONALLY HAD CONTACTED THE INDIVIDUAL DIRECTLY TO TELL THEM IT WAS NOT OKAY.

So, in short, Im behind correcting under-representation by non-white players.
But Im against the way this person is doing it.

Chompsky

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 11:21 am

But let's bracket, for the moment, the critique of RB's interpersonal style, and deal with his premise.

Is there something to RB's argument? All things being equal, should there be a preferential option toward modern players, including players of color, as opposed to only-white choices from before the game was integrated? I agree with that premise.

Now, on the other hand, I am too lazy to participate in the committee that wrestles with these card choices. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Chompsky

andycummings65

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 pm

I can’t think of anyone who won’t vote for a good card because of race.
I’m also not playing Strat as some grand social experiment.
Both of these statements can be true and ARE TRUE.

This is not even an issue. At all.

BC15NY

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:00 pm

andycummings65 wrote:I can’t think of anyone who won’t vote for a good card because of race.
I’m also not playing Strat as some grand social experiment.
Both of these statements can be true and ARE TRUE.

This is not even an issue. At all.

I agree completely. It is ridiculous to continue having this same conversation again and again. There is no preference in the nomination process for players from pre-integration MLB. We tend to elect more modern players with most of the new card adds.

I'm fairly sure McCutchen's best card would have an easy time being voted in. Nominate the card!

Salty

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:27 pm

BC15NY wrote:I agree completely. It is ridiculous to continue having this same conversation again and again. There is no preference in the nomination process for players from pre-integration MLB. We tend to elect more modern players with most of the new card adds.

I'm fairly sure McCutchen's best card would have an easy time being voted in. Nominate the card!

Id vote for it - and quite frankly don't think about much besides whether Id play a card based on its production -
regardless of who it is; as I suspect most people do. Probably there are a few who don't but not most.
If there is an underrepresentation of non-white players then its something to fix- I just don't even know if that's true though, especially since we have the NeL cards (im personally thankful for these) in the set, which get used quite a lot.

honestiago

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 11:56 pm

The percentage of black players in MLB in 2018 rose to 8.4%. Back in 1981, black players comprised 18.7% of the league, and 22% of the all-star teams. While it does feature a huge influx of foreign players, the current era simply isn’t the golden age for black ball players. That was the era of us old farts, actually (though I’m sure the irony will be lost on our resident boomer-hater).
Last edited by honestiago on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salty

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 am

honestiago wrote:The percentage of black players in MLB in 2018 rose to 8.4%. Back in 1981, black players comprised 18.7% of the league, and 22% of the all-star teams. While it does feature a huge influx of foreign players, the current era simply isn’t the golden age for black ball players. That was the era of us old farts, actually (though I’m sure they irony will be lost on our resident boomer-hater).

Yes this is true-
Having taught music in primarily non-white schools for 15 years I can tell you that for sure basketball and football were definitely more popular.
However, some kids still did play baseball, just fewer.

BUT in any case- Im guessing we really don't have a large under representation of non-white players in our current set.

AND double in any case, trying to assert racism based on a few cards not being voted in is a bit over the top.
AND TRIPLE-- Id actually vote for both of those cards, love Cutch, specially now that hes on the Phils :)
Next

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions