Chicken Wolf

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

STEVE F

Chicken Wolf

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Are we really going to put players from the American Association in? I'm sorry, but this is a joke!

Salty

Re: Chicken Wolf

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm

so Im likely in agreement with this bc I thought that's what folks were saying they didn't want-
as in confine the set to
MLB and NEL players,
but as long as we make the rule clear at least then we can go forward.

STEVE F

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Another question that needs to be asked is, Does Strat even HAVE cards for this league or similar leagues? Would they be willing to make such a card? What's next, Sadahuru Oh? Other than the historically recent Negro League additions, SOM has confined itself to the National League and the American League.

BC15NY

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:36 pm

STEVE F wrote:Another question that needs to be asked is, Does Strat even HAVE cards for this league or similar leagues? Would they be willing to make such a card? What's next, Sadahuru Oh? Other than the historically recent Negro League additions, SOM has confined itself to the National League and the American League.

We already have both Guy Hecker (1882) and Pete Browning (1887) from the old American Association Louisville club in the set. They are considered to be MLB.

The Louisville Colonels were a Major League Baseball team that played in the American Association (AA) throughout that league's ten-year existence from 1882 until 1891.

If the community is in near universal agreement against the nomination, I'll remove it and ask for a replacement.

And yes, Strat has all of the Louisville cards available.

Thanks,
Bill

STEVE F

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:42 pm

So, the American Association is considered a major league? I guess I never thought of it as major league, so if this is the case then please excuse my ignorance.

Chicken Wolf did play in the National League at age 30 . He was released after 3 games because he couldn't cut the mustard and clearly didn't belong in the league.

OTOH, since we've already opened the door with Hecker and Browning (I never payed much attention to this before) , it seems too late to close that door now.
Last edited by STEVE F on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andycummings65

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm

To me, MLB is National and American Leagues, regardless of who may have already been let in in a time with different rules.

BC15NY

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm fine with considering MLB to be AL/NL only.

In this case the AA nomination has been withdrawn.

Thanks,
Bill

MaxPower

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:48 pm

Oh hey look, it's the origin of the AL/NL-only rule. This thread is interesting because we're now being told that the AL/NL-only rule is Strat's policy. But this thread sure makes it look like it was a recent change made because of some players' preferences without consulting Strat, which would suggest we're now being told it's Strat's policy to lend it undeserved authority and avoid reopening discussion on the issue. That seems more plausible to me than the official story that Strat suddenly started refusing to let us nominate Negro League cards. Do I have that right?

andycummings65

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 4:47 pm

I think that’s conflating a couple of issues. I stated my preference to see MLB cards, mainly because AA and other pre-1900 cards are based on a different set of rules than “modern” baseball. That’s why I personally prefer MLB cards. Many in the community like those cards, which I understand. The only part I have in this process is posting stats so people have an idea what their nominations actually would play like in Strat, and I do that because I enjoy it.

As far as more Negro League cards, from what I understand that came from Strat. I don’t know if they don’t have more of the cards based on NeL seasons or what.

As an aside, I do remember at one time Strat wanted to add Cuban and Japanese cards to ATG, and the ATG community spoke and that was rejected.

MaxPower

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 5:18 pm

andycummings65 wrote:I think that’s conflating a couple of issues. I stated my preference to see MLB cards, mainly because AA and other pre-1900 cards are based on a different set of rules than “modern” baseball. That’s why I personally prefer MLB cards. Many in the community like those cards, which I understand. The only part I have in this process is posting stats so people have an idea what their nominations actually would play like in Strat, and I do that because I enjoy it.

As far as more Negro League cards, from what I understand that came from Strat. I don’t know if they don’t have more of the cards based on NeL seasons or what.

As an aside, I do remember at one time Strat wanted to add Cuban and Japanese cards to ATG, and the ATG community spoke and that was rejected.

Thanks for the reply. Just to be precise though, the American Association, Players League, and Federal League are all MLB. As are seven Negro Leagues as of this year. And according to some, the National Association. (So is the Union Association, but that one was probably erroneously conferred.)

It sounds like your objections to the AA and PL are less about the leagues themselves and more about the era they existed in. As far as I'm aware, they were playing by largely the same rules as the NL and were considered peers of the NL. So saying they should be kept out because they were "pre-modern" proves too much as that would exclude pre-1893 NL cards as well. Which, if that's your preference, that's obviously as valid as anyone else's, I just think it'd be more accurate to say you object to those leagues because you don't like ANY early cards in the set and this is a backdoor way to reduce their presence, not because they were qualitatively different from the NL.

Anyway, we don't need to debate the merits of the various leagues here, although we certainly can as I find it an interesting subject. (If others are interested, I did an earlier post on the subject examining the quality of the various leagues from an analytical standpoint: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=649894 ) But the main thing I wanted to nail down is whether the AL/NL-only policy actually came from Strat or if it emerged from this thread. Honestly it's hard for me to imagine Strat giving enough of a shit either way to make such a policy.
Next

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions