19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderators: Rosie2167, BC15NY

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

BC15NY

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 am

19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Greetings,

We will start taking nominations for the 19.4 card add on Monday 7/29. That gives everyone 2 weeks to contemplate their potential nomination.

Andy has done some fine work in this forum re potential nominees from pre-2000 seasons. Many others have contributed excellent ideas as well. There are several threads to be found under NO CARD or IMPROVEMENT edition. Please take a look.

Also, please note these slight changes to our usage parameters for nominations from 19.4 forward -

Minimums:
250 AB
100 IP Starters
50 IP Relievers

Thanks,
Bill
Offline

BDWard

  • Posts: 912
  • Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:04 am

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 pm

BC15NY wrote:Also, please note these slight changes to our usage parameters for nominations from 19.4 forward -

Minimums:
250 AB
100 IP Starters
50 IP Relievers

Thanks,
Bill


Hello Bill. Thanks for all your fine work in getting new cards added.

We all know what an at bat is and what a plate appearance is. While I don't think the difference will affect many nominees, the unintended consequence of using 250 AB instead of 250 PA as the minimum threshold for nominee batters is that such may render ineligible otherwise worthy players who get a lot of walks, HBP and sacs. While I don't think there are many potential nominees who will be affected by the difference between AB & PA, is there some flexibility to use PA instead of AB as the standard for hitters so as not to eliminate potential nominees who don't have 250 AB, but have 250+ PA due to a high number of BB and HBP?
Offline

BC15NY

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 am

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 7:40 pm

BDWard wrote:
BC15NY wrote:Also, please note these slight changes to our usage parameters for nominations from 19.4 forward -

Minimums:
250 AB
100 IP Starters
50 IP Relievers

Thanks,
Bill


Hello Bill. Thanks for all your fine work in getting new cards added.

We all know what an at bat is and what a plate appearance is. While I don't think the difference will affect many nominees, the unintended consequence of using 250 AB instead of 250 PA as the minimum threshold for nominee batters is that such may render ineligible otherwise worthy players who get a lot of walks, HBP and sacs. While I don't think there are many potential nominees who will be affected by the difference between AB & PA, is there some flexibility to use PA instead of AB as the standard for hitters so as not to eliminate potential nominees who don't have 250 AB, but have 250+ PA due to a high number of BB and HBP?


Thanks!

I'm fine with setting the bar at 250 PA.

Bill
Offline

andycummings65

  • Posts: 8376
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 12:13 pm

I liked the unintended consequence of 250 ABs over PAs. I certainly do now.
Offline

STEVE F

  • Posts: 3130
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Why all the 2018 cards? We're not even done with that set in 20XX yet. I think these cards should wait their turn.
Offline

BC15NY

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 am

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 2:46 pm

andycummings65 wrote:I liked the unintended consequence of 250 ABs over PAs. I certainly do now.


Agreed. Thinking 300 AB might have been even better.
Offline

BC15NY

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 am

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 pm

STEVE F wrote:Why all the 2018 cards? We're not even done with that set in 20XX yet. I think these cards should wait their turn.


The 19.4 cards likely won't make into the set until December (or later). The parameters were established by Strat, as they requested we wait until x.4 to nominate cards from the current set.

Also, there are 3 nominations from 2018, two Cy Young award winners and an MVP. Looks good to me...
Offline

STEVE F

  • Posts: 3130
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 pm

BC15NY wrote:
STEVE F wrote:Why all the 2018 cards? We're not even done with that set in 20XX yet. I think these cards should wait their turn.


The 19.4 cards likely won't make into the set until December (or later). The parameters were established by Strat, as they requested we wait until x.4 to nominate cards from the current set.

Also, there are 3 nominations from 2018, two Cy Young award winners and an MVP. Looks good to me...

At least that explains the run. Aaron Nola, anyone? :)
Offline

andycummings65

  • Posts: 8376
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: 19.4 Nominations will open on 7/29

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 pm

BC15NY wrote:
andycummings65 wrote:I liked the unintended consequence of 250 ABs over PAs. I certainly do now.


Agreed. Thinking 300 AB might have been even better.


In my mind, the ONLY reason to include cards with few ABs should be to add scrubs, not to search out aberrative cards that don’t represent something close to a full season. We have enough Gates Brown’s and Ken Smith’s. If a player wasn’t good enough or was too injured to produce 300-350 ABs in a given season, do we really need that season?

Instead of using the limits to keep out outliers and aberrations, it looks like we are using the 250 limit to hunt out crazy stat lines from players who are not at all represented by some half or quarter season they lucked into.

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest