Retiring from SOM

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

Rosie2167

Retiring from SOM

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Fellow SOM players. I have some major family obligations that I need to focus on and will be retiring from SOM immediately. I have reached out to a few guys and provided my notes and player sheets so that they can be used in the future adds if needed. Thank you for all the input, support and criticism over the years.

All the best
Rosie

The Last Druid

Re: Retiring from SOM

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Thank you for your service Rosie.

So where to go from here.

I have some ideas. I believe in democracy but not so much any form of representative governance; more along the lines of one person, one vote. The process of additions the past few years has certainly been organized, perhaps even too organized. I propose simplifying things a bit. Why don't we just have the community nominate 50 cards on a first come first serve basis and then simply poll the community, top 25 vote getters get cards and the 10 next vote getters are ensured a place in the polls on the next round of additions. This way there are 60 nominees every quarter, except the first and 25 always get in.

Simplicity itself.

ratioman2

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes, good luck with your family Rosie.

Great proposal Last Druid. There have been plenty of times I spent a few hours researching just a few names, and they don't even get nominated, even if others have supported them. Let's face it, there are probably over a thousand names on this List(s) and if there is culling to be done, let it be done by public voting.

The Last Druid

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Me too, not to mention Salt, Frank Mansueto, George Bernard. Time for the people to get a voice!

BC15NY

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:45 pm

I had reached out to Strat last week re getting the process started for 2019, as it appeared to me that Rosie was not going to continue facilitating the card adds. Hoping to get the green light from Strat tomorrow.

My idea for managing this is almost identical to the Druid's, other than keeping the first come, first served nominations open for the next window. That way if there are 75 members nominating cards, for example, the last 25 don't get shut out of the process. We would start the 19.1 voting as soon as the first 50 nominations are in (one per member only). The next "x" nominations would roll to 19.2, if we get more than 50.

My 2 goals would be for the process to be more timely and less complicated.

Thanks,
Bill

STEVE F

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for everything , Rosie. You will be missed.
As for how to handle things going forward; Hey, whatever adds cards (as long as I get a vote and a chance to nominate)

The Last Druid

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Bill you would be an excellent choice to head the process. I thought of you when I made my initial post but didn't want to mention you by name as I wasn't sure that would be okay with you.

BC15NY

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence.

djp_77

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks Rosie for all that you have done.

In regards to the future. I like the ideas that have been mentioned. My idea would be that for a week we let as many people as we can nominate both a batter and a pitcher. After that we do polls to get each down to whatever number we want it to be. This way people have a name in each poll and creates more interest and it will give us more names to choose from.

2cityfan

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 1:27 pm

I have been building team/era franchise theme leagues since atgv7 and the last few new player drops have allowed me to fill a number of roster holes. I agree with not engineering anything too complicated in regards to how we add new players to the pool. A cycle of voting by the community with a regular cadence of additions sounds good to me.

That said, I would like to make as a priority the addition of the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks and the 2003 (or 1997) Florida Marlins. This would be a huge help to those of us who like to create/run/play franchise theme leagues. If you guys don't care about modern franchise theme leagues, then this is probably not a priority for you.. but I never have any trouble filling the leagues I start so I assume there is some interest.. I am sure there are those of you out there they may want to see other "full team drops," but Florida and Arizona are the only modern franchises left that cannot support a full SOM team with only the existing available player pool.

Thanks..
2cityfan
Next

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions