Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

Rosie2167

Re: ATG Card Add Annual Cadence - looking toward 18

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Salty wrote:
Rosie2167 wrote:
Salty you use phrases like hard positions, force, dissent, vocal minority. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very process that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a forum and create some interest in the cards you want.

Cheers
Rosie

Check your ego, sir, and do whats best for the community, not me, and not your cronies.
No one 'sleeps under your blanket'--
you aren't 'providing' for the community; damn man, you are getting drunk off your little bit of power.

LOL!!! Haven't you ever seen "A Few Good Men"????? Guess not, oh well my attempt at adding some nice and fluffy levity failed.

Salty

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Rosie2167 wrote:[LOL!!! Haven't you ever seen "A Few Good Men"????? Guess not, oh well my attempt at adding some nice and fluffy levity failed.

oh FFS- really?
Inserting a film quote after attempting to berate me for using words you don't like (but are accurate, hell you are the one who used some of em first, geez), doesn't provide levity.
But whatever.

Rosie2167

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Sorry Salty my bad - I guess we should learn to co-exist without completely understanding each other. And I don't mind the words you use, or how often you disagree with me or think me mad or power drunk...doesn't bother me at all. I'm just happy to be enjoying this game and providing some impact for future strat players.

Happy Holidays Salty!

Salty

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Rosie2167 wrote:Sorry Salty my bad - I guess we should learn to co-exist without completely understanding each other. And I don't mind the words you use, or how often you disagree with me or think me mad or power drunk...doesn't bother me at all. I'm just happy to be enjoying this game and providing some impact for future strat players.

Happy Holidays Salty!

Rosie- I actually try and argue with you in good faith;
meaning no personal attacks- and up until now, thought you at least tried to do the same,
even when we staunchly disagreed on game stuff.
But, Ill just file it away as this is just what happens when folks get a bit heated.

So thank you for the apology.
and if I said anythign that you felt was personal prior to this, Ill apologize as well.

The Last Druid

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 pm

I guess I can cross off mathematician as a profession for those on this post. Its obvious to me we have many intelligent folks in our community, but to categorize the recent poll as anything but one data point is inaccurate. The results don't tell me anything definitive for a few reasons.
1) Its one sample
2) the results are well within what would be the standard deviation if we were to conduct say 20 more of the same exact poll
3) the results also seem to be within the standard error

When data is analyzed many data points are collected, plotted and then reviewed for tendencies. Which means that samples that fall within the standard deviation are removed. So if the results that are remaining swing one way or the other THEN there's something to think about.

Now if the results of the poll were something like 20-7 one way or the other, then that would be something to take notice of, with further analysis dependent on projected impact and priority.

This matters to me because the default for ATG is the whole set, see Barnstormers.

Regarding Mize, debacle? Its statements like these that make me wonder. We added a HOF's season where he had his career high in HR's, RBI, R's and now he has a Giants card, which really completes his SOM profile. That's a win in my book.

Where to begin. Clearly Rosie isn't a mathematician, although I had four semesters of graduate statistics in the process of completing my PhD. so I do know a bit about inferential statistics and certainly the language that a mathematician would use to characterize what is going on here.

Rosie also writes
that's just it, I don't see it as a small majority expressing a different opinion. I see it as a piece of information that once you take into account the laws of math, doesn't conclusively tell me anything. If it was 15-12 the other way I'd read it exactly the same.

The Laws of Math huh. :roll: That is one of the funniest and ill informed characterizations of inferential statistics that I have ever heard. What the poll does is provides us with a set of 27 binary numbers expressed as discrete rather than continuous variables. Those 27 numbers are the sample size which are a reflection of the true population size. It is not one data point :roll: it is a set of discrete data points. Now statistics does not speak in the absolute terms that Rosie uses such as "meaningless." What it does is create a null hypothesis that is then subjected to various statistical procedures, based on measures of central tendency and variability, the aim of which is to determine with how much confidence the null hypothesis can be rejected, or if it cannot be rejected from the given data. Note one can never "prove" the null anymore than one can "prove a theory." The smaller the sample size, the larger the effect must be in order to reject the null hypothesis. Note that I characterized the results of the poll as merely "suggesting." The sample size and the results obtained are certainly not conclusive. We could subject the data to a power analysis to determine the precise sample size required to show an effect if one is present. The hypothesized mean of this set is 13.5 and the obtained results are only about .566 of a standard deviation, so clearly a larger sample size is needed. But one does not "remove" such samples for this reason. One runs additional polls to add to the sample size, the results of which can be additive if a different population is sampled from (i.e. people who didn't vote the first time).

However, this is the sample size we have and it provides a stark contrast with what a very few vocal folks are advocating for, which apparently resulted in Rosie's unilateral moratorium on card adds from that era. It is the best data we currently have and is suggestive of a possible trend in the population.

But rather than discuss the point rationally, Rosie spouts a bunch of pseudo mathematical gibberish and then verbally assaults Salty.

Note that my two initial posts of this subject were calm and rational, albeit unwelcome to both Andy and Rosie.

This whole charade reminds me of a plaque on an attorney friend's desk. If you have the facts, pound the facts. If you have the law, pound the law. If you have nothing, pound the table. Looks like Rosie pounded the table so hard he broke it.

Well I did learn one thing. When Rosie appears to want to say FU to someone, he instead says "cheers" or 'happy holidays."

Rosie and I do agree on one thing, there are plenty of intelligent folks in this community. However, Rosie's posts on this thread would not support a claim on his part to be one of them.
Last edited by The Last Druid on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie2167

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Nice response, makes me smile and also makes me realize you need to know your audience before you play the humor card. Look this stuff isn't getting us any closer to vetting cards so I'll just leave this as it is. Druid gets the last word, no rebuttal from me.

Onto other things...
cheers, happy holidays, all the best
Rosie

joethejet

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Hey Guys,

Just realized that my post about adding Billy Beane was in the wrong forum so I'll just add a comment here:

Not sure if this has ever come up, but it might be cool to have the A's GM available in ATG. Only two years would be possible, 86 (a .213 .258 .295 slash in 194 PA) and 89 (.241 .238 .304 82 PA) but it might be cool.

Rosie2167

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

joethejet wrote:Hey Guys,

Just realized that my post about adding Billy Beane was in the wrong forum so I'll just add a comment here:

Not sure if this has ever come up, but it might be cool to have the A's GM available in ATG. Only two years would be possible, 86 (a .213 .258 .295 slash in 194 PA) and 89 (.241 .238 .304 82 PA) but it might be cool.

tks

Rosie2167

Re: 18.1 proposed direction

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 am

Hi All,

Looking at the %'s across the All adds and last 4 adds these groups show lower representation than others.

SP: 4.9%/4.6%
C: 4.5%/5.6%
3B: 7%/7.2%
SS: 5.5%/6.4%

to provide context
1B: 16%/12%
2B: 9.5%/10%
CF (D 1,2) 7%/8.8%
LF/RF: 27%/24%
RP: 13%/18%

From an ERA standpoint
every decade starting with the 80's down is less than 7.5% with one exception, 70's at 9%.
the others...
90s: 12%
2000s: 22% (after taking out the Rays)
2010s: 13%

So my suggested parameters for 18.1 are
1. add the 6 cards that just missed in 17.4
Chris Davis* 2013 BAL 1B
Matt Mantei 2003 AZ RP
Carlos Beltran 2003 KC CF
Lonnie Smith 1989 BRV LF
Ray Lankford* 1997 STL CF
Rick Wilkins* 1993 CHC C
2. add 4 cards from each position at top; SP, C, 3B, SS
3. leave the 3 remaining slots for ties or near misses
4. the adds must be pre 1990 with at least 6 from each 30 year bucket; 1900-29, 1930-59, 1960-89

I'll start posts to collect suggestions by position and populate those posts with the feedback I can locate from suggestions already made. Suggestions will close Sat, Jan 20 at 9pm PT. I will then consolidate the suggestions into the poll.

Anyone have a strong opinion another way?

**I'm actively pursuing a solution with SOM so we can establish a way to add those pre 1900 cards without the impact to certain events. I'm not looking to open the debate, I'm simply communicating my intent.

tks
Rosie

TIMOTHYFOSTER

Re: 18.1 proposed direction

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Hey all:
As far as the 1980's starting pitchers go, it would be great to have 1981 Dennis Martinez in - think he had the most wins (tied) that season and am thinking he doesn't have a card for that year currently?
Also, 1982 or 1983 Tanana and 1986 tommy john would get my votes as well. I went back and forth on getting these adds since they already have cards but think they would most definitely be used by managers.
I don't care enough though to argue about it, especially since the argument on this board seems to be somewhat cyclical. However Rosie is dealing with strato, it's going much better than when I was pounding them back in the day on improving upon the sporting news site so I would definitely keep building upon that relationship as it seems to be benefiting us all. Thanks and have a great rest of your week,
Tim
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions