Royals Additions

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

agabriel

Re: Royals Additions

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 pm

I don't have an opinion on which Montgomery since I'm unaware of the specific virtues of each card. Generally speaking, I'd say go with the stronger card. But if it's poorly priced, then the exercise is mostly useless.

Having said that, I like the idea of adding players that will get play. I'm assuming there's more utility in Montgomery/Jackson than Gubicza/Sweeney.

Having said that, I'd be much more excited if the entire list of candidates consisted of options from the last five years.

andycummings65

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 pm

Despite what Rosie said, I'm no expert. I just enjoy the history of baseball and want to see significant players added from baseball history who currently have no card, hence my ideas of Gubicza and Sweeney. Montgomery and Jackson have cards, just wanted to add some new options to Royals. I agree that the Royals could use another decent reliever besides Quis. They could also use a longtime Royal SP from the 80s/90s besides Saberhagen, that's where Gubicza fits in. I'm not opposed to any of Adrian's suggestions. The 1990 Bo card would be a little better than his two current cards, but a bigger injury risk. I just prefer two longtime Royals like Sweeney and Gubicza.

My personal preference is to add significant players that either are not in the set or are poorly represented. I would prefer adding players from the past before adding contemporary players playing now. I wish there was at least a five year waiting period to add a card. Others disagree with me. The voting obviously disagrees with me. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though ;) 8-)

STEVE F

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:16 am

andycummings65 wrote:My personal preference is to add significant players that either are not in the set or are poorly represented. I would prefer adding players from the past before adding contemporary players playing now. I wish there was at least a five year waiting period to add a card. Others disagree with me. The voting obviously disagrees with me. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though ;) 8-)

I totally agree.

djp_77

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 3:42 am

If the 90's mystery card game's cards are what ATG will get than I would want Montgomery's 1993 card. They are close though. just don't like ballpark homerun #'s.

For the hitter I like Sweeney. I like 2002 card more than 2000. The splits are better. Is the 2002 card a 2 for injury rating?

andycummings65

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 am

2000 isn't an injury risk like 2002. I'd rather have a guy's second best season than a slightly better one with a big injury risk.

In fact, I sometimes nominate a second best season anyway. I have a problem when Luis Gonzalez is mentioned in the same breath (or same rarified salary air) as Ted Williams.

george barnard

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 9:36 am

STEVE F wrote:
andycummings65 wrote:My personal preference is to add significant players that either are not in the set or are poorly represented. I would prefer adding players from the past before adding contemporary players playing now. I wish there was at least a five year waiting period to add a card. Others disagree with me. The voting obviously disagrees with me. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though ;) 8-)

I totally agree.

And I totally disagree.... ;)

george barnard

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 am

andycummings65 wrote:2000 isn't an injury risk like 2002. I'd rather have a guy's second best season than a slightly better one with a big injury risk.

In fact, I sometimes nominate a second best season anyway. I have a problem when Luis Gonzalez is mentioned in the same breath (or same rarified salary air) as Ted Williams.

A certain number of us aren't put off by little things like injuries: keeps you on your toes for bench construction and it often produces significant bargains. As for Gonzalez (and his ilk) having his (their) best card(s), I have no problem with that. We may take issue with whether the stats are "clean" or not or whether they truly "represent" a player's career, but they do exist and they should be represented. You know me, Andy, we are both concerned with bringing a certain representivity of baseball history to ATG. I guess I'm slightly more ecumenical in my choices. ;) 8-)

Bill

andycummings65

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 am

Yeah Bill, I know I'm in the minority on how I feel, and it's usually reflected in the voting. I'm ok with being the lone voice in the wilderness. I don't like adding 2015 cards either. Wish Strat would create a Player set consisting of the last 5 seasons(2011-2015) for those who want to playall these new cards, and then create a 5year waiting period on card adds to ATG. As long as a player from the last 2-3 seasons is on the ballot, cards needed from the past will never get voted in. Bibb Falk vs another Bonds card or vs 2015 Mike Trout, we all know how that will turn out.

I'm not opposed to the bigger injury risk Sweeney; I'm not injury risk averse. However, some of voting public is.

agabriel

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 11:58 am

I'm changing my vote to Gubicza and Sweeney for the sake of getting them in the game. They are deserving Royals. I don't currently have an opinion on which years, however.

I think baseball history is baseball history so 1985 only differs from 2015 by degrees. The accomplishments of the recent Royals will stand the test of time so from a franchise perspective, this is the second golden age. Gordon and Perez are franchise defining players already.

If I were really serious about this, I'd want to have a list of all of the Royals cards not in ATG and their associated values. (But I'm not, so let's just jabber.)

Rosie2167

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 1:22 pm

agabriel. I'm putting you down as one of the Royals ambassadors, you're joining mikemartinfl.

On the table from the Royals are:
SP - Mike Gubicza 1988
1B - Mike Sweeney 2000 or 2002?

Please confirm
tks
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions