Rangers Additions

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

george barnard

Re: Rangers Additions

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 9:03 am

Please include me as a Rangers ambassador.

Bill

Valen

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Julio Franco 91 Second highest BA in team history

Dean Palmer 1996 Lot of fans had high hopes before he was traded. One of top third baseman in team history.

Soriano 2005 Stay in texas was brief but of historical note being guy they got for Arod.

Juan Gonzalez 1998 He and Pudge were driving forces in one of the most successful runs in Texas history. He and Pudge put the Rangers on the national map and set foundation for me being a Ranger fan even before I moved to Texas. His best year is needed in the set and his other MVP season of 1996 should also be available.

Ian Kinsler 2011 His 30/30 season. He was a fixture at second and a top player on the 2 best teams in Rangers history. A future HOFer in my opinion his best year in Texas has to be represented.

Michael Young every year. Face of the franchise for years and in many ways still is. To do him justice we must have...
2008 Having took over for Arod at SS after his departure improved his defense culminated in a gold glove.
2009 Moved to third to make room for Elvis to play short. Not many incumbent gold glovers would have done so.
2011 With the signing of Beltre became whatever Rangers needed playing all over the infield
All 3 of these seasons should get cards as there is no other way to give proper homage to the greatest Ranger of all time and emphasize it was his willingness to play wherever needed that made him the fan favorite he is to this day.

Rusty Greer 1997 His all out reckless style led to multiple injuries that translated to a short career. But after Nolan Ryan and Michael Young maybe the most revered Ranger of all time. He is the OF standard that EVERY Ranger OFer gets measured against. A player who give everything he has gets compared to Greer. A player gives less and you will hear he is no Rusty Greer.

Until you have the best season of Greer and the best seasons of Michael Young at each position there is no point to anyone playing a Ranger franchise team. Doing so would be like having submarine with a screen door on it, pointless and useless.

Valen

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Ranger Pitching: Not exactly the thing team has been known for.

Nolan Ryan 1989 He is the most popular player in team history and a one time part owner. His best texas season has to be in the set.

Yu 2013 Do not even need to say the last name because everyone in Texas knows Yu is the mighty Darvish.

CJ Wilson 2011 In many ways his successful transition from reliever to starter set the tone for the 2 world series runs and helped transform the image of the team from a team that could only hit to a balanced team. His best year is a must have.

Rich Helling 1998 Ok, he is never going to be brought up in any HOF discussions. He was not legendary. He was best known for high pitch counts. But he was an important cog in one of the successful runs in team history. If you are telling the tale of Ranger history you will not be finished until you mention Helland.

John Wetteland 1998 Only in Texas because Rivera made him expendable in NY. But one of top closers in team history.

Feliz 2010 The only closer for the world series teams. Might still be closing games and anchoring the bullpen is not for the ill fated attempt to make him a starter.

Jeff Zimmerman 2001 Role as closer was brief but pivotal in Ranger history. His injury after the arrival of ARod and the subsequent bullpen lapses were as critical to the Rangers futility as the huge salary was a weight around the neck.

Francisco Cordero 2004 49 saves to lock down the all time team record.

Valen

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I have not pushed for Kenny Rogers because while he has played a prominent role in recent Ranger history none of it was within what I consider their good runs and to be honest do not see any seasons where he was of sufficient quality that I would use his card in most Strat seasons.

In recent years the team has become known for double plays as well as power. With that in mind along with the 2011 CJ Wilson I would include ...

Matt Harrison 2011 Third highest double play total in team history. Might not be an * starter

Matt Harrison 2012 Fifth highest double play total in team history. Should be an * starter.

Derek Holland 2013 Scentimental selection here because he was so important in the WS runs and this was his last good healthy year. Looks like there will not be another one.
Previous

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions