Community - Get into the Card Discussions!

Discussion for new cards to add; moderated by Rosie2167

Moderator: BC15NY

• Author

george barnard

Re: New ATG Cards coming! Franchise / Era Ambassadors Sign u

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 pm

supertyphoon wrote:I guess there's no groundswell of support for adding entire teams, which was the original concept in ATG and ATG2 when SOM was hosted by Sporting News. I think the best answer for "franchise anxiety complex" would be adding a couple of teams apiece from the Rockies, Diamondbacks, Marlins and Devil Rays.

Exactly!

george barnard

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi Bill -
We all agree its been too long between adds but hopefully this process will decrease that going forward.

This should work as follows:
1) Strat user thinks Harper's 2015 card is deserving.
2) That strat user posts Harper's card for consideration
3) The Nationals AND Expansion Era ambassadors note Harper
4) At the submission deadline the Nationals ambassadors review all the Nationals submissions and ranks them based on their knowledge of the franchise/Era and holes in that franchises representation.
5) Collectively the ambassadors provide a somewhat vetted list to the Strat community to vote on
6) We submit the top 50 vote getters to Strat for card generation

Tada!

I guess it's that added bit of bureaucracy that gets me. I'm not really convinced that our nominations need to be vetted by a committee (again, I play in leagues with most of those guys and they are wonderful people, so it's not the people). Okay, so they get rid of the Roger Freed nominations. Good, but in the end I get the feeling that this might just stifle fun loving debate and has the potential to be become acrimonious if someone's nomination doesn't make the cut (or maybe it's just my having to deal with acrimonious debates all too frequently in my department).

Rosie2167

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Appreciate your opinion and we'll see how this shakes out.

george barnard

carr20

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 3:19 pm

I think Bill's wish list is all we need.

Rosie2167

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Bill - I know I've asked you this before but can you explain the colors and notes in the last column?

Carr20...or anyone else that wants to chime in, how do we sort through Bill's list to come up with the ones to vote on? In my mind that's the function of the ambassadors but open to other opinions and suggested processes.

Tks
Rosie

george barnard

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Bill - I know I've asked you this before but can you explain the colors and notes in the last column?

No problem, it really isn't very self-explanatory :oops:

The colors have to do with a system of informal polling that I conducted a few years ago. I polled SOM players here on fifty or so (if I remember correctly) potential card years on a monthly basis (this was at a time when no new cards were being added and it was our only way to maintain a bit of card-adding banter. The names in red were in the top 20 percentile of voting, yellow the next 20 percent, light blue the next 20 percent, dark blue, the next twenty percent, and purple the bottom 20 percent.

As for the acronyms, BRC is better representative card, BIP Bill's idiosyncratic pick, players that might somehow slip through the cracks, SITH Significant impact on team's history (team record holder), SSR Single season record, TEAM member of the best franchise team from 22-year clusters (see list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Q7vZ0PsRFcvAXRHPUVhKqWG2k3SB-itvyqyvnC5HzQ/edit?authkey=CJWWpZUG&authkey=CJWWpZUG&pref=2&pli=1#gid=0), HOF best year of a member of Hall of Fame, CY and MVP are ...well, Cy and MVP, Aaron are the Aaron Award winners, WS are members of the 1932 World Series teams in an early attempt to include World Series teams (I realized -- duh -- that meant quite a bit of Yankees -- but 1932 had some good cards nonetheless). Most of these were from sort of general requests from players here( except BIP).

Bill

Rosie2167

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Wow, ok that's good info. Carr20 might be right, I'll play with your list to get a sense.

Tks! All that polling might actually pay off!!
Rosie

Rosie2167

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:16 pm

Bill can you give me edit access? I want to add a header and start sorting. I'll message you with my email address.

tks
Rosie

supertyphoon

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 pm

My two cents = priority should be given to players 1) who are not represented already, 2) currently have a single card not representative of their career, or 3) needed franchise filler for COL, ARI. FLA and TB, in a wide range of salaries.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Card Discussions