Help me understand this

Our innovative Baseball Daily game- players cards change based on their real life performance

Moderators: Juiced JC, Palmtana

• Author

dcmt

Help me understand this

PostSun May 22, 2022 2:39 pm

This may be a stupid question…I haven’t played much Daily baseball. I think the best example of my confusion with this game would be Jesse Winker’s card. Jesse is off to a bizarre season for him. Historically he crushes RHP and struggles with LHP. This season he has (roughly) a 900 OPS vs LHP and a 500 OPS vs RHP and that odd split has been fairly consistent all season long. And it’s becoming a decent sample size. So why does the Daily baseball card show Winker as much more productive vs. RHP than LHP? If any strat platform should reflect his unconventional season so far, shouldn’t it be Daily?

chris.sied@yahoo.com

Re: Help me understand this

PostSun May 22, 2022 4:21 pm

I certainly havent mastered Daily and I am trying to learn the algorithms that control the cards. To your question though, the Daily game is a combo of real life performances and some modeling/expected results. That is how they generate a card before there has been a signficant number of games played. But if you go look at Winkers first card available for the season, he was a 6R and is now a 4R. Further, I would say that he has not been particularly good against lefties this year (yes he has a not bad OPS but based on only 46AB) but rather he has been atrocious against righties and this is reflected in how much his vRight hitting has degraded from his first card.

So I guess the summary is, the daily card is based on both expected and actual results. The relatively small number of AB vs lefty has probably diminished the actual results vs what was expected initially so his left side hasnt changed much. His right side on the other hand, where he has over 100AB has definitely reflected his lack of success so far, although if it was expected to replicate his actual results so far it would probably look alot worse.

Hopefully that helps, and I would be happy to have anyone explain to me what I likely have wrong here. Its still a bit of a black box to me.

dcmt

PostSun May 22, 2022 10:04 pm

Thanks, Chris...I wasn't aware that he'd gone from 6R to 4R...that's good to know. And I had assumed that the answer would involve a mix of expected and actual results...I guess I figured on a faster and more noticeable transition. I wonder what other values change over the course of the season?...I've seen the adjustments in overall expected errors...wondering if fielding range, stealing ratings and pitcher endurance are adjusted?

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostMon May 23, 2022 5:44 am

Fielding definitely does. Bryce Harper has gone from a 2(-3) to a 4(+5) thanks to his arm injury and only being used as a DH. I havent noticed any changes in endurance but Alcantara from the Marlins was an S6 and just threw a 9 inning complete game yesterday (a rarity in this era) so it will be interesting to see if his endurance goes up with that.

dcmt

PostMon May 23, 2022 3:44 pm

Yep, up to S7

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Daily