Rhys Hopkins

Our innovative Baseball Daily game- players cards change based on their real life performance

Moderators: Juiced JC, Palmtana

• Author

Nathan's Famous

Rhys Hopkins

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Obviously, the guy has been on a tear... Fastest player to 9-10-11 homeruns in MLB history. Why has his card been so power devoid. I'm not saying he should have 1-7, 2-7, 3-7 HOMERUN, but fer chrissakes, there are guys in MLB who have half of his homeruns that have at least one full HOMERUN on their cards. Until today, Hopkins had a half a homerun on both lefty and righty. The guy has had more homers than singles, yet he has four or five SINGLES and just half a homerun??? So today we finally have a 1-11 HOMERUN vs. lefties, and a 1-12 HOMERUN (1-13) vs. righties. Still seems awfully light for a guy who has 11 homeruns, 5 singles and a double in his MLB career. Help? Thoughts?

I just see guys like Jason Kipnes, or Russell Martin who have 11 (or 12) homeruns in 5 times the at bats with two or THREE "HOMERUN" numbers on their cards. Seems like Hopkins should have a chance to hit a few bombs too...

ScumbyJr

Re: Rhys Hopkins

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Nathan's Famous wrote:Obviously, the guy has been on a tear... Fastest player to 9-10-11 homeruns in MLB history. Why has his card been so power devoid. I'm not saying he should have 1-7, 2-7, 3-7 HOMERUN, but fer chrissakes, there are guys in MLB who have half of his homeruns that have at least one full HOMERUN on their cards. Until today, Hopkins had a half a homerun on both lefty and righty. The guy has had more homers than singles, yet he has four or five SINGLES and just half a homerun??? So today we finally have a 1-11 HOMERUN vs. lefties, and a 1-12 HOMERUN (1-13) vs. righties. Still seems awfully light for a guy who has 11 homeruns, 5 singles and a double in his MLB career. Help? Thoughts?

I just see guys like Jason Kipnes, or Russell Martin who have 11 (or 12) homeruns in 5 times the at bats with two or THREE "HOMERUN" numbers on their cards. Seems like Hopkins should have a chance to hit a few bombs too...

Yeah, thank you. I posted links to both Hoskins and Stanton's cards in the 20XX forum today. The disparity is a total joke. Hoskins did what he did and it should be reflected in the current card. I would really like SOM to respond. It shows the DAILY game is highly flawed.

heekin65

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Compare the Matt Olson card with Hopkins. Only difference is Olson has more than 100 ABs. Unbelievable HR card-- Similar stats generally but how different though are these cards.

ScumbyJr

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 am

heekin65 wrote:Compare the Matt Olson card with Hopkins. Only difference is Olson has more than 100 ABs. Unbelievable HR card-- Similar stats generally but how different though are these cards.

Hoskins finally hits another HR and his card explodes overnight.

dutchfarley

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 10:16 pm

I realize it may be hard to do in one season, particularly with the season winding down. But if you play enough you'll get a good idea for when the players current season stats can start to override his " base" card.

As a general rule how a player is carded is based on 3 factors .

The " base" card. Each player seems to have a baseline for performance that is at least loosely tied to salary. So certain players will be carded better even if they had the same exact performance as another ( not that they ever would have the exact performance).

The current season stats. It takes some trial and error to figure out when it kicks in. But 100 at bats is a good start.

Players recent performance. In addition to overall current stats the players recent performance also plays a huge part in his current card. Sometimes even more so than his overall stats. It's why you will have players with good overall stats but a mediocre/bad card. If they played ops has went from 1100 to 900 over a couple of weeks than he will have a bad card. The opposite is true for mediocre players on hot streak.

The key is trying to figure out the weighting of the 3 factors. Of course you don't even have to try to figure it out if you don't want to since you can just look at the cards and take them at face value.

There is still an advantage of being an early draftee of a player like Hoskjns . You can get your hands on him early and if he stays hot enough till he gets enough at bats you get a super card at dirt cheap. Of course , if he went on a cold streak you may have never got a good card out of Hoskins. Since his base card likely isn't very good ( and he's dirt cheap) he will have to maintain a scorching pace to keep his elite card.

Not defending everything about the Strat Daily game since there are some issues but I think it needs to be understood how tricky it is to do the cards when you take into account the static salaries in the game. This isn't a 2000x game where you can just produce a card based on a player's end of the year stats and price him accordingly.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Daily